Yesterday in the Legislative Assembly Opposition spokesman for things in uniforms Steve Pratt tried to censure Simon Corbell over the state of our fire trucks.
Mr Pratt said the Emergency Services minister has failed in the administration of his portfolio.
Apparently a memo was sent to all fire brigade volunteers earlier this month which set out the number of vehicles owned by the Rural Fire Service and their condition.
“Identified on the table [attached to the memo] are 54 vehicles, of which 21 now exceed the replacement age profile based on national standards, and of this 21 vehicles, 14 exceed the agreed life span by more than 25 percent,” Mr Pratt said.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
The Government refused to table this memo and also refused to allow the Opposition to table it, thus refusing to make it publicly available to anyone who wanted a look.
Mr Pratt said that although Mr Corbell may have inherited some of the problems in the Emrgency Services portfolio, some of them are of his own making.
“Recent debacles show that he has not only failed to acquire the necessary knowledge and facts of the current situation facing our Emergency Services, but he also has no idea of the real state of our bushfire fighting capabilities,” Mr Pratt said.