A man charged with arson and other offences in relation to an incident at Canberra’s jail earlier this year has announced he will fight all charges laid against him.
ACT Policing said emergency services had been called to the Alexander Maconochie Centre on 12 May 2021 after detainees began “causing a disturbance” in a remand unit at the jail.
“The incident lasted several hours and resulted in extensive damage to the centre,” police said.
Police charged two 23-year-old men over the incident.
The first to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court, Keith Ernest Frank Carberry, joined the court over audiovisual link from jail on Tuesday (24 August).
His lawyer Sam Lynch, who said he was only appearing in the matter on a duty basis, entered not guilty pleas to Carberry’s charges of arson, resisting a Territory official, damaging property and affray.
Magistrate James Stewart said Carberry would be remanded in custody and adjourned the matter to 5 October for a pre-hearing mention.
Region Media has previously reported that the alleged riot on 12 May involved up to 28 detainees and damaged one accommodation unit.
At the time, a Justice and Community Services (JACS) spokesperson said the riot started after a number of detainees began behaving aggressively and not complying with officers’ directions.