If bugs make you squirm, you’re uncomfortable with the idea of your kids stumbling across a redback spider, or you’re concerned about termites in your home, it might be time to contact a pest controller.
Pest controllers can help you maintain a pest-free environment in your home or business. They use pesticides, sprays and other pest management methods to keep creepy crawlies away.
Where possible, avoid waiting until you have an active cockroach, spider or termite infestation to schedule an inspection or treatment. Termites in particular do considerable damage to building structures when left unchecked. These problems can often be avoided or minimised with a yearly inspection. For other types of pests, a treatment every 12 months should be enough to keep them away.
In this article we’ll take a look at common Canberra pests, the traits great pest controllers have in common, and where to find the best in Canberra.
Common pests in Canberra
A skilled pest controller can help you manage infestations of some of Canberra’s most common pests. These include:
- Termites. Canberra has around 30 termite species, which are active all year round, but more so in the warmer months. Termites love humidity and are found in moist, warm environments like bathrooms, floors and walls.
- Cockroaches. Like termites, cockroaches prefer warm and moist environments. They are active at night and usually found in kitchens, bathrooms and wall cracks. Canberra is home to species including Australian, American, German and Oriental cockroaches. Cockroaches carry bacteria like staphylococcus, streptococcus and salmonella.
- Spiders. Spiders can be a problem when they enter a home or crawl on playground equipment. Canberra’s suburbs are home to venomous spiders including the redback, huntsman and white-tailed spider. Children should be taught to regard all spiders as potentially dangerous.
- European wasps. European wasps breed in the summer and can sting repeatedly if disturbed. European wasp nests are usually found in wall cavities, roof spaces and in the ground. It’s a good idea not to disturb a European wasp nest (call a pest controller instead). European wasps are attracted to food scraps, sugary drinks and pet food.
- Ants. Ants live in colonies and work together to secure food (they love anything fatty or sugary) and water. In Canberra, ants are particularly active between October and March. You might find a colony on the move in your kitchen, bathroom or toilet. The key to eradicating ants is to find the nest, which could be situated in the ground, in a wall cavity or under rocks.
- Fleas. In Canberra, fleas usually appear in the warmer months. Most dog and cat owners will be familiar with fleas. Fleas feed on mammal blood (cat or dog blood is preferred) and lay eggs on their host. People with pets are more susceptible to flea infestations, as pets can transfer fleas to carpets, rugs and bedding.
What makes a great pest controller?
For lasting pest control with minimal impact on your family, schedule and wellbeing, we recommend choosing a pest controller with the following traits:
- Experience. A very experienced pest controller is usually qualified to undertake termite control and fumigation work in Canberra. When it comes to termites, qualified pest controllers must comply with Australian Standard 3660 and the Guidelines for Termite Control in the ACT.
- Qualifications. Check that your pest controller has completed study units in the Certificate III in Asset Maintenance (Pest Management – Technical). In Canberra, pest controllers aren’t licensed by the ACT Government, but they must be qualified to obtain an Environmental Authorisation from the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).
- Fully insured. A professional pest controller in Canberra should have Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance. These insurance policies protect the customer in the event of negligence or property damage.
- Environmentally friendly. Responsible Canberra pest controllers use chemicals approved by the ACT Government. They also know how to handle and dispose of Schedule 7 chemicals.
- Customer service focus. A good pest controller listens to the customer and provides regular updates, especially when the job involves more than one visit (eg. termite treatment). It’s not unusual for homeowners to become upset when a termite infestation is discovered. A good pest controller is empathetic, yet professional in their dealings.
The best pest controllers in Canberra – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Your pests gone, guaranteed!
Canberra Pest Control has been 100% Canberra Owned & Operated for over 50 Years. We employ Canberra people and we focus solely on protecting Canberra families, homes and businesses from unwanted pests. Our mission is simple: be the Pest Controller of choice in Canberra!
We Guarantee all our work. When we treat your home or business, we guarantee your problem pest will be eradicated. If the problem re-occurs within your warranty period we will re-treat the original treatment site free of charge.
We exterminate ten pests in one treatment when we spray your home for spiders.
At no extra cost to you, we also treat cockroaches, silverfish, earwigs, slaters, millipedes, clothes moths, pantry moths, paper wasps & mud wasps – 100% free.
ACT Pest Control, are licensed specialists in pest and termite control. With a large range of equipment, they can treat any property including households, restaurants and government buildings, all with the added convenience of using environmentally friendly products.
Using their 7-in-1 general treatment deal, ACT Pest Control ensure that the seven most common pests in your house will be eliminated without harming your family or pets.
A recent Google testimonial from Wally I said, “I called upon ACT Pest Control for both my houses and they have done a great job. We had various issues such as wasps and ant infestations along with the general house treatments, all the pests were gone after their visit each time. Highly recommend Carl, he is the technician we used, and we had a great experience with Him. Big thanks to the team at ACT Pest Control.”
Based in Fyshwick, 2018 will mark the 100th year of business, showcasing the dedication and ability of Flick Anitcimex Canberra. Servicing both homes and businesses across Canberra, they cover suburbs including Belconnen, Gunghalin, Tuggeranong and Woden.
They specialise in termite management but are also well equipped to deal with other pests like cockroaches, rats, mice, possums, birds, flies, fleas, bees, wasps and bed bugs. If you are not sure what type of pest you are dealing with, they will help you work it out. If you are currently building a new home, they also provide pre- and post-construction pest control services.
Their pricing is competitive, and they use environmentally friendly, non-toxic methods that won’t be harmful to you or your pets whilst also receiving good online reviews, with Sarah S commenting, “Great service, really accommodating…Have used them two years in a row and will again!”.
With more than 20 years of experience, Bernie, the owner and operator of Top Kill of Canberra, is dedicated to removing unwanted pests from the homes and offices of Canberra residents.
His goal is to provide unbeatable customer service, thorough and effective treatments, and long-term pest management. Top Kill of Canberra is always striving to improve their methods to ensure their clients are getting the very best in pest control technology.
Because Bernie both owns the business and performs the treatments, he never cuts corners. Commenter dr_phil had this to say: “I have been using for a few years an old bloke by the name of Bernie… he owns the business so he does the job right.”
This family-run business has been around for over 20 years, experienced in using environmentally friendly products that are safe for both humans and pets. They specialise in the elimination of spiders, cockroaches, termites, silverfish, rodents and wasps. With one google reviewer Robyn Colless saying: “Responded quickly to my urgent job. Efficient, polite and professional and sorted the problem quickly. Definitely, recommend Richard.”