As autumn rolls on, the promise of attending a show in person is starting to appear like a dot on the horizon. That said, with the music industry in the US seemingly closed down for the rest of the year, and Australian tours not looking to resume until October at the earliest, musicians are finding new and inventive ways to stay in touch with their audiences.
Canberran experimental pop artist Endrey has made the decision to bring forward the release of his second album, and he has some intriguing ideas about how to share the music in a gigless world. Endrey has constructed a virtual tour, featuring live-streamed performances, listening parties and Q&A sessions in lieu of in-person concerts.
Local DIY art and music collective Mulgara is hosting Rockin The Burrows this weekend. It’s a live-streamed music festival featuring intimate sets from New Zealand’s carb on carb, Melbourne’s Vic Austin (from Nothing Really) and a whole host of local and interstate acts.
For even more Canberra music action, tune in to the humorously named Capital Thrills Festival. Each year, Groovin The Moo offered the chance for a select few local acts to jump on stage at a massive music festival. Capital Thrills is set to host performances from some of the artists that, in a perfect world, might have ended up playing bigger stages throughout 2020.
Where: Mulgara’s Facebook page
When: Friday night from 6:30 pm
Seven of the country’s most beloved independent artists (and one of New Zealand’s) are joining forces for Rockin The Burrows. No matter where your burrow is, you can tune in to this virtual music community on Saturday night from 6:30 pm. Catch sets from singer-songwriters Jack R Reilly, Jim Dusy, Jamie Leone, Ruth Lorelle, and Boots Byers, as well as members of Amends, Nothing Really and carb on carb.
Where: Instagram Live. Join the event on Facebook for links to artists’ pages.
When: Friday night from 7:00 pm
An eclectic lineup of local musicians is set to take part in Capital Thrill, an online music festival that lets Canberran artists strut their stuff in the midst of isolation. Punk rock three-piece Slagatha Christie, bedroom pop artist Sesame Girl, and Weirdo Gvng members Ike(from)Pluto and Partyateleven are just some of the acts that will be taking to their Instagram accounts to share music from their kitchens, living rooms and home studios.
- The Social Distancing Festival
- Ben Gibbard: Live From Home – 10:00 am daily
- Melbourne Digital Concert Hall
- Club Quarantine – Various times.
- Jack Biilmann Live & Solo Volume #2 – 7:30 pm.
- Mulgara Presents: Rockin The Burrows – 6:30 pm
- Capital Thrill Festival – 7:00 pm
- Endrey: Midnight Album Tea Party – 11:59 pm.
- TikTok Soundcheck Friday – 11:00 am
- Isolnation Live Stream Festival – 1:00 pm
- Isol-Aid – 12:00 pm
- Endrey: Playing A Show From My Apartment – 9:00 pm.
- The Killers: Instagram Live – 5:00 am
- Endrey: Dressing Gown In Bed Album Listening + Q&A – 10:00 am
- Isol-Aid – 12:00 pm
- Isolnation Live Stream Festival – 2:00 pm
- Happy Axe: Happy Place #3 – 3:00 pm.