How does live music look going forward? That’s the question being posed by MusicACT at this week’s Music Chats. One could argue that COVID-19 struck right as Canberra was naturally entering a live music transition period, with noise levels, public transport, changes to educational institutions and venue closures all coalescing in recent times.
Whether it’s big festivals, intimate sit-down affairs, or live-streamed events (or, more likely, a combination of them all), Canberra’s musical future is up in the air and ready to be shaped.
Among the young acts bursting on to stages at the moment, Rose Valley Road, Highland Light, Red Door and Parklands are all set to perform as part of Between The Lines’ Halloween party on Sunday evening at The Basement.
Staying north of the lake, Hashemoto and Betty Alto’s Beth Monzo are teaming up for duo performance at Lyneham’s Old Canberra Inn on Sunday. You can also catch Lucifungus there on Friday and MissM & Special K on Saturday.
- Cathy Diver: Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm
- Wednesday Lunchtime Concert @ Wesley Music Centre – 12:40 pm
- Old Timey Wednesday @ Smith’s Alternative – 4:00 pm
- Live Jazz: Key Grip Duo @ Molly – 6:00 pm
- Karaoke Night @ 88mph – 8:00 pm.
- Moondog @ National Press Club – 6:00 pm
- Steve Richards Quartet @ Smith’s Alternative – 7:00 pm
- Molly House Band @ Molly – 9:30 pm.
- Canberra Soul Club: Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm
- Chad Croker @ Hopscotch – 4:00 pm
- Acoustic Fridays @ Hotel Kurrajong – 4:30 pm
- Tori Chard @ Public Manuka – 5:00 pm
- Jess High @ National Press Club – 6:00 pm
- A Tribute To Aussie Pub Rock @ The Basement – 6:30 pm
- Roberta Diamond @ Wesley Music Centre – 7:00 pm
- The Fuelers @ Austrian Australian Club – 7:30 pm
- Lucifungus and Nunchukka Superfly @ Old Canberra Inn – 8:00 pm
- Scroggin Album Launch @ Smith’s Alternative – 8:00 pm
- Julius Dator @ The Lighthouse Pub – 9:00 pm
- Hip Hop Takeover ft Paris Lawrence @ Fiction – 9:00 pm.
- MissM & Special K @ Old Canberra Inn – 2:00 pm
- Il Bruto @ 3:00 pm – Smith’s Alternative
- Carnival Road @ Artists Shed – 6:00 pm
- Chad Croker @ Public Manuka – 6:30 pm
- Super Rats @ Smith’s Alternative – 7:00 pm
- Metal United Down Under @ The Basement – 7:00 pm
- Nick Rigby @ Lighthouse Pub – 9:00 pm.
- Hashemoto and Beth Monzo @ Old Canberra Inn – 2:00 pm
- Bill Chambers @ Old Canberra Inn – 2:00 pm
- Music Chats @ sideway – 2:00 pm
- Kirrah Amosa @ Edgar’s Inn – 3:00 pm
- Ben Drusdale @ Smith’s Alternative – 3:00 pm
- Australian Art Song Encore @ Welsey Music Centre – 3:30 pm
- Block Sound Recorders @ Wesley Music Centre – 4:00 pm
- Australian Art Song Encore @ Welsey Music Centre – 5:00 pm
- Between The Lines Halloween @ The Basement – 5:00 pm
- Sunday Session @ Molly – 7:00 pm.
- Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm.