Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Royalla industrial solar marching on

By johnboy - 2 July 2013 45

Simon Corbell has announced his approval for a 20MW solar farm on the Monaro Highway:

“I have used my powers under Sections 158, 159 and 160 of the Planning and Development Act 2007 to approve this proposal because it responds to a major policy issue and will deliver a substantial public benefit,” Mr Corbell said.

“The project will be the largest solar farm to be developed in Australia to date.

“The solar farm proposal will contribute to a reduction of around 560,000 tonnes of carbon emissions over 20 years, generating the equivalent amount of energy to power 4,400 Canberra homes.

“The Royalla solar farm will directly contribute to meeting the greenhouse gas emission reduction targets set by the ACT Government under the Climate Change and Greenhouse Gas Reduction Act 2010, and is consistent with the comprehensive climate change strategy we released last year, AP2.”

The AP2 Strategy calls for the Government to further develop large-scale renewable energy generation to achieve a target of 90% of the Territory’s electricity consumption to be sourced from renewable energy by 2020.

“While I am approving the development application, a number of conditions have arisen from the notification and consultation process which must be addressed before the construction can begin,” Mr Corbell said.

“These conditions include a requirement for the proposal to meet all environmental approvals, including implementation of an environmental management agreement, waterway works licence, contamination assessment, environment protection agreement, land management agreement and pollution control plans.

“I have also closely considered the concerns of adjacent neighbours in the Royalla rural residential area. An independent visual impact assessment has been conducted which confirms the visual impact of the proposal will be negligible for most houses in the Royalla area.


UPDATE: It appears not everyone is thrilled.

poster

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
45 Responses to
Royalla industrial solar marching on
dungfungus 3:51 pm 04 Jul 13

switch said :

dungfungus said :

If the Territory is going to get 90% of electricity from renewables by 2020, whre is the other 10% coming from?

Hydroelectric.

Isn’t hydropower a renewable? If so, that would be 100% power from renewables but with climate change and less snowfalls hydopower will cease to exist so where is it really going to come from.

KB1971 3:41 pm 04 Jul 13

troll-sniffer said :

There are those amongst the population, me included, who can appreciate a certain beauty in the ordered rows of solar cells, especially given their purpose. What is one person’s eyesore is not necessarily the next person’s.

Throughout Australia many rural areas are festooned with long rows of poles with wire strung between them marching up and down sloping land. They are called vineyards and are in some ways nearly as visually polluting as the proposed solar farm, yet no call is made as to their impact on the landscape. Think about that NIMBYs.

Yep, they could have built one of these:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2007-11-15/truenergy-runs-the-big-yallourn-power-station-in/1350074

vet111 1:31 pm 04 Jul 13

KB1971 said :

vet111 said :

FWIW, I’ve been looking for a decent map of the development but haven’t been able to find much.

There are a few on the website written in that poster. You can actually enlarge them with a link at the bottom of the page.

It will be located on the left side as you are heading north just before you drop down the hill to Johnson Drive.

I think Solar is probably he better alternative to wind, you could run quite a few wind turbines out of there as its always blowing.

Thanks KB, that’s what I thought but wasn’t quite sure. In that case, I think the NIMBYism is most definitely unjustified – it’s across the bloody road, so you can only see it from Royalla and ‘little Burra’ from a fair distance indeed.

KB1971 12:37 pm 04 Jul 13

vet111 said :

FWIW, I’ve been looking for a decent map of the development but haven’t been able to find much.

There are a few on the website written in that poster. You can actually enlarge them with a link at the bottom of the page.

It will be located on the left side as you are heading north just before you drop down the hill to Johnson Drive.

I think Solar is probably he better alternative to wind, you could run quite a few wind turbines out of there as its always blowing.

Deref 12:27 pm 04 Jul 13

I guess the Royallans will be voting for someone else at the next ACT election.

Oh…wait…

troll-sniffer 12:21 pm 04 Jul 13

There are those amongst the population, me included, who can appreciate a certain beauty in the ordered rows of solar cells, especially given their purpose. What is one person’s eyesore is not necessarily the next person’s.

Throughout Australia many rural areas are festooned with long rows of poles with wire strung between them marching up and down sloping land. They are called vineyards and are in some ways nearly as visually polluting as the proposed solar farm, yet no call is made as to their impact on the landscape. Think about that NIMBYs.

switch 12:17 pm 04 Jul 13

dungfungus said :

If the Territory is going to get 90% of electricity from renewables by 2020, whre is the other 10% coming from?

Hydroelectric.

davo101 12:16 pm 04 Jul 13

Chop71 said :

Give them a gas fired power plant.

Screw that, let’s give them a waste to energy plant.

vet111 10:41 am 04 Jul 13

CraigT said :

They use our libraries, they use our schools, they use our hospitals and our roads. We pay for all these services and the Royallians do not pay a red cent for any of them.

*And* they want the people of Canberra to guarantee them an immortal and unchanging “country” environment in paddocks that are closer to Canberra suburbs than those suburbs are to the Canberra GPO.

Remember the O’Connor Ridge NIMBYs? Delayed the Gungahlin Drive extension for years.
Then there are the 3 or 4 nutters that manage to interfere with the annual kangaroo cull, year after year.
We need this solar farm and we shouldn’t let half-a-dozen moaners ruin it for the rest of us.

Actually, there’s cost-sharing agreements in place between the ACT and NSW governments to cover border areas like the Canberra/Queanbeyan or Albury/Wodonga issues.

I would like to make a point though – I might be wrong, but my understanding is that this development is located some distance from Royalla Estate, where the majority of complainants live and the visual impact is from some distance. If that is the case, people should just suck it up – when we are talking about simple aesthetics, it’s not fair for NIMBYs to be able to control what people/companies can do on their own land. If you want to control the vista, buy a large block of land that stretches as far as the eye can see, and put a house in the middle.

FWIW, I’ve been looking for a decent map of the development but haven’t been able to find much.

dungfungus 10:39 am 04 Jul 13

If the Territory is going to get 90% of electricity from renewables by 2020, whre is the other 10% coming from?
What happens on those cold winter mornings when the mist hides the sun and the wind isn’t blowing anywhere?
I think Mr. Corbell is deaming.

Chop71 9:53 am 04 Jul 13

Give them a gas fired power plant.

Thumper 9:02 am 04 Jul 13

Got to admit, if I bought a serene, bucolic (love that word) property with sweeping rural views, I’d be a bit pissed off if they built a solar farm next to me.

I take it that Sections 158, 159 and 160 of the Planning and Development Act 2007 are the ‘f*ck you Jack I’ll do what I want powers?’

Having said that, it’s profile is much more desirable than wind towers and the more renewables we have the better.

CraigT 12:23 am 04 Jul 13

They use our libraries, they use our schools, they use our hospitals and our roads. We pay for all these services and the Royallians do not pay a red cent for any of them.

*And* they want the people of Canberra to guarantee them an immortal and unchanging “country” environment in paddocks that are closer to Canberra suburbs than those suburbs are to the Canberra GPO.

Remember the O’Connor Ridge NIMBYs? Delayed the Gungahlin Drive extension for years.
Then there are the 3 or 4 nutters that manage to interfere with the annual kangaroo cull, year after year.
We need this solar farm and we shouldn’t let half-a-dozen moaners ruin it for the rest of us.

Pork Hunt 10:28 pm 03 Jul 13

c_c™ said :

Ah, the Nimby’s in their native habitat.

The irony is really something, they’re complaining that the ACT is doing something in the ACT to benefit the ACT at cost to them.

Yet when Royalla was first marketed, it was sold as enjoying all the benefits of Canberra without having to live in ACT or pay for those benefits.

That’s gold.

c_c™ 7:19 pm 03 Jul 13

Ah, the Nimby’s in their native habitat.

The irony is really something, they’re complaining that the ACT is doing something in the ACT to benefit the ACT at cost to them.

Yet when Royalla was first marketed, it was sold as enjoying all the benefits of Canberra without having to live in ACT or pay for those benefits.

1 2 3

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site