Two Canberra cafes, Ricardo’s at Jamison and Central Cafe Gungahlin, remain closed after an outbreak of salmonella led ACT Health to investigate food handling procedures and processes.
ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Paul Kelly said the Health Protection Service had identified the outbreak and that staff from the service had inspected a café in Belconnen and another in Gungahlin and found issues related with food handling processes and procedures.
ACT Health did not name the businesses “as it could unreasonably affect the business affairs of registered proprietors, or unduly influence or impair future legal proceedings”, but the RiotACT has confirmed the identity of the businesses.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“HPS has served prohibition orders on both premises and is working with the cafés to address these issues,” Dr Kelly said.
“The cafes will be closed until such time as the identified issues have been rectified.
“This action means that there is no ongoing risk to the health of the ACT population from these events.”
A sign in the window of Central Cafe says the operators had ordered new refrigeration equipment a month ago but it had yet to arrive, and that they would re-open once it did.
“Recognising the need to update and replace various items of refrigeration equipment, we placed an order for new fridges, coolroom and cooking equipment etc, about one month ago,” it reads.
“Unfortunately the Health Dpt arrived for inspection on the 10 Feb 2.30pm with record temp of 41 degrees and found our refrigerator was not up to standard.”
Ricardo di Marco, the owner of Ricardo’s, told The Canberra Times that the cafe’s smoothies and cronuts had been investigated.
“They came back with the smoothies, so we took it off the menu, and they told us the things we had to change and we did it straight away,” he told the newspaper.
One customer who became sick after eating at Ricardo’s told the RiotACT she shares the concerns of many Canberrans for the future of the popular business.
“Even though I was very sick I do believe that these things happen and I would go back there,” she said.
“Especially now they’ve rectified the issue.”
The Chief Health officer said the outbreak presented a timely reminder of the importance of food safety, not only in the hospitality sector, but in the wider community.
“As this is an ongoing investigation HPS is not in a position to provide the number of people affected,” Dr Kelly said.
— Cotts (@DJCotts) February 14, 2017
Salmonellosis is caused by an infection with the bacteria Salmonella. It causes a gastrointestinal illness with symptoms including fever, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and vomiting. Salmonella is often spread through the consumption of poorly cooked or contaminated foods.
Raw or undercooked eggs, meat and poultry are particularly high risk foods.
People with health concerns should see their medical practitioner.
For more information on food safety visit: