Sydneysiders escorted to border, 50 hotel guests ordered to leave ACT following lockdown orders

Dominic Giannini 27 June 2021 4
Police officer with mask checking a vehicle

ACT Policing will be conducting spot checks on vehicles coming into the ACT to make sure they are complying with the current restrictions. Photo: Dominic Giannini

A group of six were escorted to the border by police last night and 50 more guests at a Braddon hotel were ordered to return to Sydney by ACT Policing after the ACT’s new stay at home requirements and border restrictions came into effect at 6:00 pm yesterday.

Police escorted the group of four adults and two children to the border upon finding they did not have an exemption.

ACT Policing was later notified that 50 other guests who usually resided in the Greater Sydney region were staying at the hotel. They were informed by police that they would be required to leave the Territory on Sunday morning (27 June).

More than 2730 people are subject to the stay at home order.


READ ALSO: Face masks to become mandatory in the ACT from midnight


People in the ACT who visited the Greater Sydney region – which includes the Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas – on or after 21 June are subject to the order that will last until at least midnight 9 July or until 14 days have passed since they were last in the area.

Non-ACT residents who have been to the Greater Sydney region in the last 14 days cannot enter the Territory while returning residents will need to stay at home.

People found in breach of the restrictions can face fines of up to $8000.

Andrew Barr standing at a lectern

Chief Minister Andrew Barr said it is a period of heightened anxiety and concern. Photo: Dominic Giannini.

ACT Policing will be conducting spot checks at the border and Access Canberra will be working with businesses across the ACT to ensure compliance with the current check-in requirements.

NSW Police will also be conducting checks in the Greater Sydney region to stop people subject to the lockdown from leaving.

Chief Minister Andrew Barr said the fact more than 19,000 people had filled in the ACT’s online declaration form expressing that they had been to the Greater Sydney region recently highlights the extent – and risk – of travel between the two jurisdictions.

There are currently 22 close contacts in isolation and almost 210 casual contacts who are isolating while waiting for test results after visiting an exposure location in NSW.

For the most recent information on the ACT’s COVID-19 restrictions, visit the ACT COVID-19 site.


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
4 Responses to Sydneysiders escorted to border, 50 hotel guests ordered to leave ACT following lockdown orders
Filter
Order
Graeme Dunn Graeme Dunn 8:02 am 28 Jun 21

Seriously, these people are found to not have Travel exemptions & all that happens is they are escorted to the border & sent on their way. If a Health Order has been breached & it appears that one was ignored as there was no exemption. One must wonder what is the use of having the threat of a fine if one isn’t given. What would be considered as a maximum breach, surely this would fall into that category

Finagen_erection Finagen_erection 5:02 pm 27 Jun 21

NSW travellers?

WTF ACT NSFW

Ol L Ol L 4:46 pm 27 Jun 21

Joke. No fine means no worries for others to do the same. What have you got to lose?

hgo7627 hgo7627 2:53 pm 27 Jun 21

You’d think the hotel has to be provided with home addresses before check-in. So if that’s the case, then the hotel should be fined. It’s an absolute given that the 50 travellers should also be fined. No more being nice about this.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

 Top
Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site