That headline never gets old.
But we do have this email from the Australian Education Union:
Dear Sub-Branch Reps and Principal Members,
The latest offer for teachers or “What’s NOT in it for me?”
A brief summary:
· A salaries offer that will return us to the worst paid in the nation within months. NSW will forge ahead once again next year.
· Prospective “Teaching Leaders” competing not only against professional standards but against each other for up to 50 positions in the first year.
· An underwhelming total of 50 teachers skipping a step on the scale through accelerated progression (out of 1200 eligible teachers).
· A reduction in teaching load for first year teachers that is one-quarter of what was available until the mid-1990s.
· Nothing for our principal members except a salary increase of 3.5% – an inadequate reflection of an increasingly complex role.
· Nothing to increase the attractiveness of school counsellor positions, despite the system’s inability to fill 7 full- time positions, and despite more than 20 schools not having a counsellor at all.
What are we doing about it?
· Stopping work next Thursday morning to consider further action (see previous email for details).
· Mounting a vigorous campaign of community engagement.
· Asking members to write a polite email to the politicians through www.aeuact.asn.au/campaigns/.
· Banning the fortnightly absence record…
ALL MEMBERS: As per a decision of Executive on 23 August, from the morning of NEXT WEDNESDAY 31 AUGUST 2011 (AND NOT BEFORE!), PLEASE CEASE ALL PARTICIPATION IN THE FORTNIGHTLY ABSENCE RECORD PROCESS.
And stay tuned for information about further bans which AEU Executive has authorised to be implemented progressively over the next couple of weeks.