A 19-year-old Lyneham man will face the ACT Magistrates Court today (5 November) after breaking into a Belconnen home and committing an act of indecency last month.
It is alleged the man broke into a Belconnen area residence on 14 October and committed a sexual offence before fleeing the scene on foot.
After an extensive investigation, ACT Policing Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Team executed a search warrant at the man’s residence on Saturday (3 November) and located a number of items.
He will be charged with an act of indecency without consent and burglary.
Criminal Investigations Detective Acting Station Sergeant Shane Scott said that police believe there may be other victims who have yet to come forward and report similar crimes.
“We recognise that it takes courage to come forward if you are a victim of crimes of this nature. Let me reassure anyone that comes forward that your privacy is respected and upheld through the entirety of the process,” Detective Acting Station Sergeant Scott said.
“Police are here to help and can assist you in accessing the appropriate support services.”
Police are urging victims of similar crimes or anyone who may have information that could assist police to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website.
Please quote reference 6319331. Information can be provided anonymously.