As Canberran’s we are blessed with some of the finest medical infrastructure in Australia. Our nations capital is also home to some of the most expertly skilled medical professionals, from nurses, to doctors, paramedics and more.
Despite these positives, there comes a time when accessing our world class medical services can be problematic. And for many of us, this is usually after-hours once our regular general practitioners have long since closed their doors.
What could be so urgent that it simply could not wait to the morning? Well; many things! Any parent will know unsettled children results in unsettled households. Anyone with a bout of gastro understands the sheer agony of the first 48 hours. And anyone with an existing medical condition cautiously manages it.
And while most conditions can indeed wait until our doctor’s rooms are next open, some require swift attention. The question then becomes from where? If an emergency room visit feels best left to those in desperate need; Canberra’s home doctors may well be the answer.
Home doctors deliver expert medical care in the comfort and convenience of your own home. Services are offered beyond traditional consulting room times, with many extending well into the evening.
Home doctors are armed with the same high calibre qualifications that regular general practitioners hold. Moreover, their service means you can get a head start on treating your condition. But where does one find a home doctor in Canberra? Read on to find out.
What makes a great home doctor?
Great home doctors are after-hours medical saviours, putting years of education and experience out of their clinics and into our homes. They are professional, empathetic, and offer the highest standards of care. Here is what we think you should look for when selecting a home doctor:
- Qualified & Experienced. Unlike finding a regular GP, many home doctor requests are made in extenuating circumstances. In these instances, we rely on the credibility of service providers to determine the calibre of their doctors. That said, any practicing doctor should hold all necessary qualifications and be accredited by the Medical Board of Australia. If in doubt, check this off with the provider for added peace of mind.
- Reliable & Punctual. As with your regular GP, being able to rely on them for availability in your time of need is key. The same goes for punctuality. There is nothing worse than waiting hours on end in the dark of night for your home doctor to arrive. While wait times are a given, realistic expectations on this should be set from the start. Followed through with your doctor arriving punctually. In fact, some home doctor services even update you on your wait time, and notify when you are next on the list.
- Quality Care. The urgency of after-hours medical assistance warrants only the most experienced medical professionals. Those that can handle the pressure outside the confines of their clinic. Additionally, those who are comfortable assessing, diagnosing, and treating clients under stress. Diligence and thoroughness during each consultation ensures quality care, particularly for those conditions that cannot wait until the morning.
- Great Manner. When welcoming any new stranger into your home, their great manner can easily put you at ease. For home doctors, their ability to convey genuine concern and interest in a client’s concerns is integral. This important piece of the medical communications process is even more important while treating clients at home. It encourages an honest and open discussion and puts the client at ease. The best home doctors have this down to fine art.
- Well Priced. Although premium charges are expected on any on demand service, one should not pay through the nose to get it! The best home doctors appreciate this; and offer their services with palatable fees. Some home doctors offer bulk billed consultations, while others will indeed charge a fee. And these fees do range in price, depending on whether the appointment is face to face or even online. Always double check fees and payment methods before booking in your next home doctor visit.
The best home doctors in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The National Home Doctor Service is the country’s largest network of after-hour doctors. This team of qualified medical professionals can treat patients young and old, at home or in an aged care facility. What’s more, all services are bulk billed for those that have a Medicare or Gold DVA card.
The National Home Doctor Service in Canberra is available whenever your regular GP is closed for business. Hours extend from 6 pm Monday to Friday, and 12 pm Saturday to 8 am Monday. The National Home Doctor service is also open across All public holidays, including Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Maria Cameron had this to say on Google, “Great Drs who know what they are doing and such a great service to have especially when you have a sick child.”
Canberra After Hours Locum Medical Service (CALMS) is an accredited medical deputising service owned and operated by Canberran General Practitioners. Since first opening its doors in 1971, CALMS been providing quality after-hours primary care throughout the entire region.
This care is provided by doctors with experience in the speciality of General Practice, who have agreed to participate on a roster thus providing after hours care to residents.
Consultation times extend from 8am to approximately 11pm on weekdays, and 10am to approximately 11pm on weekends and public holidays. With clinics located Northside at Calvary Hospital, or Southside at Canberra Hospital, CALMS also offers home consultations. As CALMS is a private service, fees do apply with payment required at the time of consultation.
Ian F has this to say on Google, “Love this service, such piece of mind for parents of kids who start to feel sick later in the evening. Staff have always been great. Obviously they can’t work miracles, but we are very lucky to have an after-hours GP like this. They are also good at managing patient load and estimating booking times.”
If you need to fill a script after-hours, you might like our article on the best after-hours chemists in Canberra. To follow up on your condition during regular hours perhaps our articles on the best doctors will help.
Your experience with home doctors in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the home doctors listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.