Podiatrists take care of your ankles and feet; in a nutshell, they keep you moving
Most people will require the services of a podiatrist at some stage in their life. Growing feet need special care, as do older feet that have walked a long way in their time. You might consult a podiatrist for problems like knee pain, numbness, bunions, arthritis, skin and nail problems, or any other complaint related to the feet or lower legs.
In the world of podiatry, prevention is definitely better than cure. Left untreated, simple problems can lead to pain and loss of mobility. So, take care of your feet and ankles – you need them to be in tip-top shape.
What Makes a Good and Reliable Podiatrist?
How do you go about choosing a good podiatrist? We’ve done our research and here’s what we think you need to consider.
- Qualifications. If you’re in pain or your mobility is limited by foot or ankle problems, you want a qualified professional to assist you. Does the podiatrist display their qualifications? Are they a member of the relevant professional associations? Don’t be afraid to ask if you are in doubt about the qualifications of a podiatrist.
- Relaxed environment. It’s never fun when you are seeking treatment for a medical condition. A relaxing pleasant environment helps to ease your nerves. Friendly staff can put your mind at ease or keep you feeling positive through any uncomfortable treatments.
- Latest equipment. Technological advances in the podiatry field make diagnosis and treatment of various conditions faster, less painful, and more effective. You want your podiatrist to have access to all the latest diagnostic and treatment equipment.
- Range of services. A good podiatrist will be able to offer a range of services from general foot care to surgery. If they do not offer the service you require, they should refer you to a podiatrist who specialises in your condition.
- Specialisation. Some podiatrists specialise in particular foot conditions, such as problems associated with diabetes or repetitive strain. Other areas of specialisation can be age-specific, for example relating to children or the elderly. Make sure that the podiatrist you see has knowledge and experience relevant to your problem.
The Top 4 Podiatrists in Canberra
Ok, so who stacks up in Canberra? Here are our top three picks for podiatrists based on our research of patients in the region.
1. ACT Podiatry
ACT Podiatry are a team of highly qualified practitioners who treat a wide spectrum of patients with problems ranging from minor complaints to seriously complex conditions. Problems commonly treated include skin and nail problems, sports related, children’s growing feet, arthritic pain and conditions requiring surgery.
On staff are two qualified Podiatric Foot and Ankle surgeons and one Podiatric practitioner. They have two locations, one in Tuggeranong and the other in Weston Creek.
2. Podiatry Professionals
Podiatry Professionals diagnose and treat all aspects of podiatry problems with a focus on sports injuries, chronic pain, and arthritic therapy.
The team at Podiatry Professionals has a passion for patient education. Services include foot function assessments, video gait analysis, orthotic therapy, growing feet assessment, footwear evaluation and diabetic assessment.
With four dedicated podiatrists and four locations across Canberra and Queanbeyan, Podiatry Professionals are well placed to deal with all your podiatry needs. They even offer after hours and weekend appointments.
3. Canberra Podiatry
Canberra Podiatry is a family owned and operated practice located in Chifley. Back in 1997 husband and wife team Michelle and Andrew started Canberra Podiatry and, today, they are proud of their 20-plus years of excellent service to Canberrians.
4. The Walking Clinic Lyneham
The Walking Clinic was the first fully operational Podiatry Centre in Canberra bringing a whole new dimension of Podiatric Care to the ACT and surrounds.
The Team at The Walking Clinic has expanded over time to three locations across Canberra and providing nine full time podiatrists who all share The Walking Clinic’s holistic health care vision.
Your Experience with Podiatrists in Canberra
Have you used the services of a Podiatrist lately? Let us know about your experience in the comments below.