The Edit is a new series that showcases Canberra’s fashion and beauty offerings. Produced by Jade Hansen, The Edit is a modern woman’s guide to keeping chic in our capital city.
When you meet Cara Ho the first thing that stands out is her skin – it glows. So it is not surprising that this Canberra-based skin therapist has a long list of devoted clients and her clinic was recently awarded Gritty Pretty – Tried, Trusted and Approved. Cara’s approach to beauty is far from skin-deep, literally, her philosophy is founded on the direct link between inner health and outer beauty. I meet up with Cara at the beautifully refurbished Brassey Hotel, and we talked about the lifestyle choices that help her maintain her radiant glow.
– CARA’S PHILOSOPHY-
Cara describes her approach to beauty as “holistic, you can sum it up in one word – homeostasis.” Her focus on inner-balance, gut health and its relationship to the skin is refreshing as the end goal is overall wellbeing – that radiant glow is a bonus side effect. It is a ‘beauty from the inside’ philosophy. Cara explains that “it’s about creating an internal environment that re-establishes homeostasis. It’s not about aesthetics; the focus is on keeping inflammation, oxidation and glycation low and increasing methylation. These are the key factors in ageing and disease.”
Having an applied science degree and a postgrad in dermal science, Cara offers more than just topical treatments; she focuses on creating an “internal environment that re-establishes homeostasis – the tools I use are no secret; internal supplements, good quality skincare, regular exercise, a healthy diet (most of the time!) and SLEEP! My focus is on feeling comfortable and confident in my skin as I age through the decades.”
– CARA’S GLOW GUIDE –
- Start the day right – an early riser, Cara is up at 6 am and begins with a morning drink filled with probiotics and liquid collagen, along with other supplements.
- Exercise – Cara exercises in the morning, on average three times per week doing the Method at Hale Spa and she is beginning to embrace less intense forms of exercise such as Pilates, at Pilates Centre Canberra
- Diet – there is hope for us less disciplined individuals as Cara confesses to having a “penchant for chocolate (and it’s not the dark kind!)”, she does, however, eat healthy 80 per cent of the time – this is achievable!
- This radiant beauty doesn’t drink alcohol EVER and hasn’t done so for over a decade – damn it! Instead, she opts for Rose Extract beverages like Madame Dry or Cilk rosewater – the packaging alone makes me want to drink this rosewater.
- When cooking, Cara uses real fat – either the pure fat from pasture grown cows, coconut oil or pure duck fat. She is an ‘avid amateur food label analyst’ and states that anything that has preservatives or additives has no place in her home.
And finally a few key skin products to help us gain the summer glow, Cara recommends:
Hyaluronic acid: it is lightweight to keep the skin hydrated and supple as we spend more time outside in the sun. It’s responsible for filling out those fine lines too. Remember dehydrated skin is ageing skin – drink up people!
Tyrosinase inhibitor: (I had to google this one), Cara explains, “it keeps the pigmentation at bay. Summer is notorious for causing sun-induced pigmentation which we end up spending the entire winter trying to clear! Investing in a good quality Tyrosinase inhibitor will help regulate your pigment-producing cells and will also give a healthy glow. I recommend DMK Melanotech drops, Cosmedix Simply Brilliant and Cosmedix Elite X-cell +. You must have a face-to-face consultation with a qualified practitioner before selecting which one is right for you.”
-LOVE YOUR GUTS –
The Clinic Skin Health is located within the Brassy Hotel at 10-14 Macquarie Street, Barton, ACT 2600 P: 0421 489 688