Chief Minister Gallagher and Mayor Rattenbury are letting us know how their grand alliance is going:
“There is obviously still work to be done and there are elements to be ironed out on a few items, but overall the relationship is working well and most items are on track,” Minister Rattenbury concluded.
They’ve listed out their highlight reel as:
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
• Common Ground – A joint initiative between the State and Federal Governments, Common Ground Housing provides permanent homes and the support to help disadvantaged Canberrans achieve stability and improve their lives. Common Ground takes people direct from homelessness and follows through with the support they require to stay housed, improve their health and live independently. The project will establish accommodation for up to 40 individuals or couples who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness.
• Capital Metro – a light rail system that will, in its first stage, connect Gungahlin to the city, transforming our city and enhancing its sustainability. The project will increase economic and development opportunities and create jobs.
• National Plan for School Improvement – the ACT was one of the first jurisdictions to sign up to these vital reforms that will see a fairer funding system for all schools, and provide the best possible opportunities for all Canberra students
• Considerable progress has also been made on the integrity reforms included in the agreement, the ADJR Bill is now before the Assembly ready to be debated. Legislation to create officers of the Assembly, and to create a new FOI scheme are in the final stages of development and will be presented to the Assembly shortly.
• Legislation for marriage equality is also being developed and will be presented to the Assembly during the Spring sittings.