16 April 2012

Tuggies go down fighting again in the LOOP Premier League

| johnboy
Start the conversation

The RiotACT sponsored Tuggeranong United missed out 4-3 against Canberra Olympic this weekend, but here are the match reports for the whole round:

Canberra City recorded the result of the round with an amazing 5-3 upset of loop Federation Cup finalists Cooma Tigers at Hawker Football Centre on Sunday afternoon. City stunned their free-scoring opponents with a free-running display of football to which the Tigers had no response. Marcial Munoz gave City the lead from the penalty spot against his old club and Brad Sawyer made it 2-0 later on. The Tigers fought back though and Goran Josifovski reduced the arrears before the break and when debutant Robbie Cattanach brought the Tigers level it appeared business as usual. However James Perry restored City’s lead within minutes only for Cattanach to make it 3-3. City upped their game though and amazingly went 4-3 up via a Ross Edwards goal before Ben Doyle netted his second of the season to secure the win.

Canberra FC continued to set the standard at the top of the table after they demolished Woden Valley 6-1 at Deakin Stadium. Nicky Rogers starred with a hat-trick for the champions, completing his treble from the penalty spot. Earlier, goals from Ivan Pavlak, an audacious back heel lob over the goalkeeper from a corner, and Michael Spaleta had the home side comfortably in control. Rogers opening goal settled the outcome on the stroke of half-time and the same player made it four with a header early in the second half. Nick Humphries gave Woden some hope with a fine goal, his third of the year, but Danai Gapare and Rogers made sure that Canberra FC were sitting pretty at the top of the ladder after two rounds.

At O’Connor Enclosed Canberra Olympic survived a spirited Tuggeranong United fight-back to win 4-3 in an exciting match. A double to new signing Nikola Taneski had Olympic in control and when Robbie Schroder made it three on the half-time whistle that appeared to be that. Tim Anderson netted for United in the 58th minute but Justin Selkirk restored the three goal cushion just after the hour. Tuggeranong though weren’t finished and quick-fire goals from Mark Shields and Matt Menser set up a fraught finale, but Olympic did enough to seal the points.

The first match of the round took place on Saturday afternoon at McKellar Park and it was Belconnen United who came out on top, recording their second win of the season, with a 3-1 win over Monaro Panthers. The Panthers though certainly shook their favoured opponents and even led at the break thanks to a first goal of the season from Tony Haider. The Blue Devils though showed their resolute side though and took the game to their opponents after the break with three goals in ten minutes sealing the result. David Arranz leveled the scores ten minutes after the interval and further goals from Misko Naumoski, his first since his transfer from Canberra City, and David Kemp made sure the points stayed with the Blue Devils.

tuggeranong united

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.