Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Canberra’s most creative
residential property specialists

Van Ryn pleads guilty to four counts of aggravated sexual intercourse

Ian Campbell 26 March 2019
Bega Court House. Photo: Ian Campbell.

Bega Court House. Photo: Ian Campbell.

Notorious Bega Valley convicted paedophile Maurice Van Ryn has pleaded guilty to a range of new sexual offences in Bega Local Court today.

Seven new charges were first heard by the court in October last year, three of those were withdrawn today before Magistrate David O’Connor, the four remaining are for aggravated sexual intercourse with a person aged between 14 and 16 years.

The small second courtroom in the Bega justice complex held its breath as Van Ryn was called from his jail cell to appear via video link. The gallery which included the families of victims seemed to brace itself for the appearance of the man who has inflicted such damage and pain on this community.

However, with a busy court list before him, Magistrate O’Connor was keen to move on before Van Ryn could arrive.

“My client is quite happy not to appear,” solicitor Esther Colson told the court.

The 62-year-old is currently serving 13 years in jail for abusing nine girls and boys in Southern NSW between 2003 and 2014. These new charges took place in 2010 and 2011.

Restrictions remain in place around protecting the identity of victims.

Speaking outside court, local ambassador for the children’s advocacy group Bravehearts Ken Steele seemed disappointed but relieved that Van Ryn didn’t appear on the screen from jail.

“I can’t speak on behalf of this current victim, we don’t know who that person is, I am only speaking on behalf of the families of his previous victims,” he said.

“It’s pleasing to think that this new victim will not be put through the trauma of a court trial.

“We look forward to the committal hearing [sentencing] and I think he deserves a seriously long sentence.

“This is now the third victim where very very serious aggravated sexual offence charges have been laid against him.

“I would expect many many more years [to be added to his time in jail].”

Sentencing will take place in Bega District Court on April 29.

For support, information, and advice – Bravehearts1800 Respect, and Lifeline.

Original Article published by Ian Campbell on About Regional.


What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site