Venue for a fancy dinner

pamplemous 10 June 2008 47

I’m looking for a recommendation for a good venue for an anniversary. Preferably in the Civic/inner north/inner south area. We went to Courgette last year for a degustation, and it’s set the bar pretty high! We loved the food, wine and ambiance of the place. I was thinking Artespresso in Kingston, which has a degustation menu, but don’t know anyone who’s been there. I also know of Aubergine in Griffith, but am not sure it’s got the same ambiance as it’s sister-restaurant.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

47 Responses to Venue for a fancy dinner
Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 9:41 am 17 Jun 08

@Gungahlin Al:
The new one only searches for exact words or strings in the article itself, not like the old one that used to do an entire oogle search on site:the-riotact.com

But Jazz didn’t believe me when I said it was a problem. 🙁

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 9:33 am 17 Jun 08

On use or otherwise of the Search function, would be fine if it actually worked…

For instance, I did a search on momo, knowing there was an article on it just recently, and wanting to add my own account of their crappy service. Got only one entry – not the one I was after, and I know that it has been mentioned numerous times. So why isn’t the search working properly?

FredJ FredJ 2:17 pm 16 Jun 08

I’ve got to second Flints. Had the degustation there last Wednesday. The food was great, the wines perfectly matched and the service spot on. Hope your wallet’s large though.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 3:45 pm 15 Jun 08

I enjoyed a really nice dinner at Rubicon in Griffith last night – excellent food, excellent wine list, if anything let them down it was our waiters wine knowledge – particularly comparative knowledge of wines, regions and vintages – could have been better: he always seemed to have to refer questions to other staff, but that is an individual thing and not about the establishment as a whole, so it was nothing that put a dampner on the evening.

I know that the form of some of Camnberra’s eateries waxes and wanes, but right now, Rubicon have really got their sh-t together.

canyoucount canyoucount 1:57 pm 15 Jun 08

Ottoman.

bigred bigred 9:51 pm 11 Jun 08

Boat House

sepi sepi 9:08 pm 11 Jun 08

I’ve had a quite ordinary meal and poor service at Axis about a year ago – might try again if others have liked it so much though.

Going out for dinner on Valentine’s, New Year’s Eve and Mother’s Day is always dicey – places are all packed and not really coping.

ant ant 8:37 pm 11 Jun 08

Back of the Rubicon is a shed!!!!! They’ve enclosed the back courtyard in old corrugated fibro, far as I can tell. People keep raving about it. We had our xmas party there and I was very underwhelmed. Suspect you’ll never get a good feed at a bulk meal like that, but still. they could devise a meal that works when feeding a bunch of people.

fabforty fabforty 7:49 pm 11 Jun 08

I also second the Ginger Room or Rubicon.

The Rubicon is especially cosy and romantic during the cold months if you land a table towards the back under the “fairy light canopy”. The food is great and the service friendly and non-intrusive.

el el 7:19 pm 11 Jun 08

Yes, Charcoal on London Cct is teh rox0rs. Oh, and Mecca Bah in Manooka.

And hey, this thread is still better than the ‘List of Gay Beats in Canberra’ thread from a couple of years back. Don’t like it? Don’t read it FFS.

pamplemous pamplemous 6:41 pm 11 Jun 08

Thanks for all the helpful replies. This has… well to be honest, it’s made it a lot more difficult to pick just one, but I’ll have some ideas for next year too.

Apologies if the thread didn’t offer some of you a soapbox, but sometimes there are simple questions in life. What better way to pick Canberran brains than to… ask?

Pesty Pesty 5:08 pm 11 Jun 08

ant said :

Not sure if the WatersEdge menu is fancy enough, but the place itself, the view, and the service, is brilliant.[/quote

We went there one Valentines day, service was a joke, we walked out in discuss.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:01 pm 11 Jun 08

Anise on West Row is a favourite. If you haven’t been there before I would highly recommend it.

And another vote for Aubergine as well.

Not so fancy, but always good, I still miss Caffe Della Piazza. 🙁

notdingers notdingers 12:28 pm 11 Jun 08

Mezzalira in the City has an excellent degustation, when i went they had balmain bugs, stuffed…ummm… some other fancy stuffed things. Sorry it was a little while ago but the service was great.

bailes23 bailes23 12:18 pm 11 Jun 08

I went to a place in Bruce the other night called Ellacure. This is a new joint that opened recently near the AIS. Food and service was great and it was well priced compared to similar restaurants.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:07 am 11 Jun 08

PS: People will read and respond to anything so long as they think they have a point.
As examples, Tap, Samuel Godon-Stewart, or Chester.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 11:04 am 11 Jun 08

ant said :

A couple of posters carping on about how inappropriate these topics are and how no one wants to read them, and a whole lot of other people replying to the OP with suggestions and comments.

Compare the “Where do I find nitrous oxide bulbs”, “Where is Canberra’s best day trip\italian feed\indian waiter\seedy motel?”, and even “Crap Art IX: Revenge of the Son of Crap Art” threads to the “(c)Harming Vietnam Festival”, “Johnboy’s List of Nightspots” or even “The Causeway Blockage”…

Ingeegoodbee Ingeegoodbee 10:57 am 11 Jun 08

Ginger Room has a good wine list and (at least last time I visited) the sommelier was very good.

If you go to Axis at the museum, when you book insist on a table that’s not near the door to the outside deck – smokers coming and going can cause a chill.

D’Browes in Narrabundah has bloody good food in generous serves – it’s BYO which is either a pain or a blessing depending on your view point.

Crikey Crikey 10:50 am 11 Jun 08

I’d suggest Teatro Vivaldi’s at the ANU Arts Centre. Great atmosphere….very good food and service. It is also has a very nice outlook.

S4anta S4anta 10:43 am 11 Jun 08

Half the fun of going out for a feed for me is just trying a new joint irrespective of what people have said about it.

Pick up a ‘Crimes from a few weeks/ months ago, look at the restaurant review and have a crack. If you are that fussy about the food that you are about to eat, you might want to think about staying at home… or getting the Thumper and Maelinar gastrono wagon over for a BBQ.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com