This weekend’s highlights include Mother’s Day festivities (if you’re still looking for somewhere to treat Mum, our Mother’s Day guide has you covered), a Raiders home game and the final performances of Le Noir – The Dark Side of Cirque at the Canberra Theatre Centre.
As always, let us know what else is happening in Canberra over the weekend in the comments below.
- The Raiders play the Gold Coast Titans in Round 9 of the competition on Friday. Tickets from Ticketek.
- The Canberra Mother’s Day Classic is on this Sunday and involves a 5km run or walk and a 10km run around the Central Basin of Lake Burley Griffin.
- Mums and their families are invited to enjoy a fun afternoon of games, free play and activities at Woden Valley Gymnastics this Sunday from 3pm to 5pm. There will be food, fun, face painting, prizes and strawberry champagne for Mum. Don’t forget to wear something pink to support Pink Sports Day for Women.
Arts and entertainment
- Digress Lounge and Bar is throwing a fundraiser for Nepal following the recent devastating earthquake. It’s on Friday, entry is $5 and entertainment is TBA.
- Catch Arthur Miller’s The Crucible at Theatre 3 at 8pm on Saturday.
- Le Noir – The Dark Side of Cirque continues until Sunday at the Canberra Theatre Centre.
- THE NOISE return to Canberra for two special performances inside Turrell’s Skyspace at the National Gallery on Friday. The first performance is at 2.30pm and the second is at 5.10pm.
- Groovin’ the ANU, a free gig to promote local acts, is on Friday at ANU Bar. Show your support whilst checking out some new bands you probably didn’t know about!
- Sydney ambient post-rockers sleepmakeswaves will play at ANU Bar on Saturday night in support of their new album, Love of Cartography.
- Blues musician Leo Joseph plays at the Harmonie German Club on Saturday from 7pm.
- Joseph Liddy performs at The Phoenix from 8pm, also on Saturday.
- Fresh from a sell-out season at the Sydney Opera House, Mikelangelo steps into the red suede shoes of his lurid alter ego Johnny Presley, the Balkan Elvis from 8pm on Saturday at the Polish White Eagle Club in Turner.
Markets and festivals
- The SnowSports ACT ski and snowboard sale is on Saturday 9 May. Buy or sell ski and snowboard equipment from 8.30am to 1.30pm at the Old Bus Depot.
- Celebrate the launch of the Bunda Street shareway at the Mother’s Day Street Festival on Sunday from 11am to 3pm. There will be food tasting, pampering sessions, cooking demonstrations, music, street performers and more.
- What is entrepreneurship? Find out at the ANU Entrepreneurs Society’s first event for 2015. Camilo Potocnjak Oxman from Innovation ACT will deliver a presentation on entrepreneurship and its benefits as a career path on Friday from 6pm to 9pm.
- Share your ideas for improving Tuggeranong at a community brainstorming session hosted by the Tuggeranong Action Group on Saturday from 1pm.
Have a good weekend!