Twelve residential construction sites were shut down in Throsby by WorkSafe ACT last week after a spate of prohibition notices were issued, predominately in relation to unsafe scaffolding.
WorkSafe also issued 42 improvement notices and four infringement notices for unsafe electrical and falling risks that came with an $11,000 price tag.
The infringements were handed out after an inspection blitz of 18 residential construction sites in Throsby on Wednesday (4 November) as part of Operation Safe Prospect, an ongoing campaign to improve industry safety.
Inspectors have been alarmed at the lack of workplace health and safety compliance on residential construction sites in greenfield suburbs, Work Health and Safety Commissioner Jacqueline Agius said.
“We continue to see the same issues on construction sites such as scaffolding safety and risk of falls from heights, poor site security, a lack of signage, electrical hazards, poor housekeeping, and a lack of basic facilities, like toilets, for workers,” she said.
“The safety culture needs to improve so workers in this industry can go home safely at the end of their shift.
“It is time to get real about safety in the ACT.”
For more information on safety relating to the building and construction industry, visit the WorkSafe ACT.