Andrew Barr has celebrated the start of the school year with a visit to schools in Tuggeranong and Gungahlin.
More interestingly he’s outlined what he wants to achieve this year in education:
That’s why 2011 will be a year that sees the ACT Labor Government:
• provide principals with more say over who teaches in their school and how their school is run
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
• work with the members of the Australian Education Union to develop an enterprise agreement that will attract great teachers by ensuring the very best get better pay and faster promotion
• deliver the Teacher Quality Institute that will verify the qualifications of those teaching in all ACT classrooms
• work with the University of Canberra to open the InSPIRE Centre of excellence in ICT teaching and
• implement the recommendations of major reviews of both secondary and tertiary education sectors.
He’s also drawing attention to starting school, a guide for parents who haven’t done this before.