Are you going right?

idea_authority 19 January 2008 73

A rather concerning pattern of blinker usage has cropped up over the past six months and is becoming more and more common.

People are using there right blinker on round-a-bouts when going straight. Now sometimes it can be an honest mistake when people in the right lane decide they don’t want to go right and instead go straight. However more and more people are putting their right blinker on even in the left land causing confusion and a couple of near misses I have witnessed. Even the ACTION drivers are now doing this, going straight in the left lane but indicating right as they come off.

So I want to make it clear to Canberra drivers, that if you are going straight at a round-a-bout, as per the Jan 07 revision of the ACT Road Rules Guide, no blinker is mandatory. You may choose to indicate left as you exit the round-a-bout but you should not indicate right unless you are off the round-a-bout and merging.

73 Responses to Are you going right?
hingo hingo 10:21 pm 05 Feb 08

I agree 100% with BigDave.

BigDave BigDave 9:36 pm 05 Feb 08

I couldn’t give a flying proverbial what the Road Rulers say. They’re obviously written by idiots. You should ALWAYS indicate left to leave a roundabout, going straight on or wherever. Unless you want that big semi to flatten you.
What’s so hard about it anyway? Just a flick of the wrist. Most Canberra drivers are probably used to that! Haha!
Bascially, it’s just plain laziness. If you can’t do it, then get off the road.

mattyf mattyf 3:52 am 23 Jan 08

It’s true. I’ve seen it multiple times in the last few days, and most recently this evening. All were younger drivers. Not on P plates though. So I guess the habit must have been around for a while.

howdy howdy 11:46 am 21 Jan 08

“because they cant judge the speed of the nanna you have been following”

Excellent call : )

sjp sjp 11:29 am 21 Jan 08

Yeah.. coming from Melbourne i’ve noticed the merging lanes here are outrageously short in most cases!

I agree with Sepi as well, I think giving way to the right makes more sense and they shouldn’t have confused it. The same thing happened in Vic when they adopted the national road rules there.

howdy howdy 11:20 am 21 Jan 08

No, I was actually talking about Perth where there are very short form ones lanes seconds after traffic lights. Very similar to the ones we get after roundabouts. They just formed one lane without having to indicate (I think they’re supposed to though). It was truly amazing

Mælinar Mælinar 10:50 am 21 Jan 08

howdy – these ‘some aussie cities’ you speak of generally have a longer merging area and are well signposted, some examples I have driven are anything up to 2.5km long merging lanes.

In the Canberra example, where you have to merge immediately after exiting the roundabout, it is a very different kettle of fish.

Ultimately, lane merging should look a little like a zipper doing up with the teeth being individual vehicles. Try to do that in Canberra will get your line of traffic filled by some dickhead who thinks it’s acceptable to speed up from behind you and slam on the brakes because they cant judge the speed of the nanna you have been following.

howdy howdy 10:32 am 21 Jan 08

I just had a really horrid sinking feeling. Someone not giving way to the right on a small suburban roundabout could lead to (in a matter of seconds), some very very nasty accidents.

Road rules plus Common Sense is a healthy attitude to have.

In some aussie cities people are actually quite good at forming one lane without a second thought or ‘need’ for indication. If someone in that city decided to change the national road rules so that you no longer had to indicate to form one lane would you do so in Canberra? – not if you had any sense in your head… maybe if you were after a new car…

sepi sepi 9:27 am 21 Jan 08

I think roundabouts work/worked well when everyone gave way to the right.

Now they have changed the rules in line with the national rules and 90% of people give way to the right, while 10% take the ‘whoever can get there first’ approach. My uncle does this and it is petrifying, and people beep him all the time.

Giving way to the right works for me.

And indicating left out of a roundabout makes sense on the bigger ones, where people can’t tell where you actually came into the roundabout.

howdy howdy 1:52 am 21 Jan 08

I’d post 6 times in a row but I really couldn’t be bothered…

howdy howdy 1:51 am 21 Jan 08

“on topic now” was in reference to the ‘indicating left when going straight issue’ – sorry, oops

howdy howdy 12:59 am 21 Jan 08

hahahahaha

Drunken Howdy will also allow you to turn left from the left lane – surely that’s a given : )

pfffttttttttt

howdy howdy 12:48 am 21 Jan 08

Roundabouts clearly aren’t working. Replace them all with traffic lights.

howdy howdy 12:42 am 21 Jan 08

oh, yeah and I was trying to help out ant by suggesting other people follow the speed limit thing, if people did as ”suggested the he/she would be happier and stuff…

howdy howdy 12:39 am 21 Jan 08

idea_authority – “usually no need” would cover such a situation where going straight was more so to the left, but thank you for helping make it clear, I’ve had a few drinks tonight : )

ant ant 12:35 am 21 Jan 08

Sadly, that’s the default that most of us use roundabouts under. If we all knew the actual rule, roundabouts would work better, they’d flow in all directions.

Kings Ave/Russell roundabout in particular would flow if they stopped people doing 60 around it. One flow dominates and long lines of traffic build up on the other approaches.

Deano Deano 12:31 am 21 Jan 08

technically you would have priority if you were on the roundabout first

Good luck with that one – I’ll think I’ll stick with my earlier advice about not trusting anyone in one and half tonnes of metal on a collision course with me.

idea_authority idea_authority 12:23 am 21 Jan 08

umm, howdy,

“Ok, on topic now, the the left lane is only and will ever be only for going straight, so there’s usually no need to indicate left off a roundabout in this situation.”

Left lane is for going [Straight only], [straight and left] or sometimes [left only]. Not just straight only.

ant ant 12:21 am 21 Jan 08

No, I don’t have it around wrong. If you are approaching a roundabout, and almost on it, but on your right you can see a car roaring up to the roundabout, technically you would have priority if you were on the roundabout first, but the guy on the right is assuming he has “right of way” and is speeding onto the roundabout. So you stop. You are on his left, he is on your right. But he does not have right of way until he is ON the roundabout.

Until your wheels are ON the roundabout, you must yield to cars that are ON the roundabout. Not about to be on the roundabout. Sadly, a small minority of users understand this, and the cops don’t care (and I suspect most of them also don’t know it).

idea_authority idea_authority 12:20 am 21 Jan 08

Howdy, to the best of my knowledge, only speed limits on signs in a red circle are legally enforceable. Such speed signs are legal maximum limits. On roundabouts, the speed signs are yellow and black. Signs in yellow and black are advisory. So it may say you SHOULD go around at 35kp/h but it is not the same as the regulatory speed signs which say you MUST go at a certain speed.

And I must say the regulatory speed signs are often ridiculous compared to the suggested speed limits. Drakeford Driver, a three and then two land dual carriage way is 80 yet Paddys River Road is mostly 100 and it is a thin, windy two lane country road. Golly know how they got that yet the suggested speed signs on bends along Paddys River mostly give a good suggested limit or 60-75.

Region Group Pty Ltd