There are many ways available to you to get fit – join a gym, take up Pilates, go for regular runs. But CrossFit is one of the few ways that is guaranteed to challenge you and yield great results – and we’ve got plenty of great CrossFit gyms right here in Canberra.
CrossFit may sound daunting – it is characterised by high-intensity interval training, combining cardio and strength to truly push you to your limits, but all the while in a safe and professional environment. So if you’ve decided that the next step in your fitness journey is to join a CrossFit gym, it’s important that you know exactly what you’re looking for. But what, exactly, sets a great CrossFit gym apart from the rest?
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the most important things you should consider when looking for a CrossFit gym, and give you an informative guide to some of Canberra’s top gyms.
Whether you are new to CrossFit or a seasoned veteran, it can be tricky pinpointing what exactly makes one CrossFit gym so much better than another. When searching for your new favourite gym, keep an eye out for the following traits:
- Encouraging, experienced instructors.If you’d like to work with an instructor to improve your fitness, look for a gym that only hires experienced, encouraging trainers. Yes, they should push you to your limits and help you achieve the results you desire – but they should also respect your boundaries.
- Welcoming, judgment-free atmosphere. If you’re a beginner, joining a CrossFit gym can be daunting. The best gyms welcome people of all ages from all walks of life at all fitness levels.
- Good programming. As CrossFit is a very challenging kind of exercise, it’s important that trainers communicate with clients to make sure that you are being given the safest and most effective training, and not taking on too much of a challenge too early. A good CrossFit gym will program workouts in a smart way that will get you stronger and fitter without overdoing it.
- High-quality equipment. The CrossFit gym you join should have a diverse, top-quality range of equipment that’s clean and well maintained.
- Well priced. Some of you might want to head to the gym twice a week; others, every single day. The best gyms offer flexible, reasonable pricing options.
- Convenient timetables. CrossFit gyms will have classes on offer guided by professional trainers, which are perfect for someone just starting out. You want to make sure your gym offers classes at times that fit in with your schedule.
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The team behind CrossFit SFS – which stands for ‘Strive for Success’ – believe that everyone is an athlete in their own right. And, by harnessing your full power through varied functional movement, everyone can reach their full fitness and strength potential. Offering a range of classes throughout the day – as well as free childminding for parents – CrossFit SFS makes it easy and convenient to dedicate time to your body, mind, and confidence.
Mathew Morris had the following to say in their Google review of their experience at CrossFit SFS, “Best community to be apart of and best gym in Canberra. SFS definitely has something for everyone to strive for.”
CrossFit Woden sets itself apart with its all-inclusive approach to classes and their lifetime commitment to their clients. Their team of dedicated and professional coaches will stick with you for decades, like your doctor or your dentist. At CrossFit Woden, expect to make a real connection with your coach who will see you through your fitness journey from beginning to end.
As Shebby Parisa writes in their Facebook review, “Super friendly gym, the coaches and other members make you feel welcome straight away. Very good programming also. Highly recommend!”
With classes every day, as well as tailored individual and group training, CrossFit Three Flow caters to all fitness levels. With a specialist focus on technique, you’ll learn exactly how to move your body to boost your fitness while minimising the risk of injury. The friendly, passionate coaches are all fully qualified with years of on-the-job experience.
See what Sam Vernon wrote in their Google review of CrossFit Three Flow, “CrossFit Three Flow is legit. (…) Made to feel super welcome, easy to arrange drop in classes, great equipment and the coaching was great. Highly recommend if you are looking to try CrossFit, looking for a new gym in Canberra or in the city for a short time.”
For more than a decade, Adapt CrossFit has been helping people in Canberra get fitter, faster, and stronger. They provide high-intensity classes in the early morning, mid-morning, and evening, ensuring you can find a class time that works for you. Dedicated to creating a supportive environment, Adapt hosts monthly membership catch-ups to keep you motivated and on track.
As Robert Rigby writes about their experience at Adapt CrossFit in their Google review, “The team at Adapt Crossfit have the equipment, expertise, energy and enthusiasm to help you turn your life around… Great atmosphere, friendly people, I am the fittest I have ever been thanks to the crew at Adapt.”
CrossFit Smash is a friendly, welcoming gym with several locations across Canberra. Committed to creating a sense of community through their training sessions and classes, the enthusiastic instructors help you develop your skill and fitness – all while having an absolute blast. Whether you’re a beginner or have been training for years and years, the team at CrossFit Smash would be happy to have you.
As Paul Pembroke writes in their Facebook review, “Great gym. Best coaches. Know how to tailor a workout to your specific requirements, good focus on mobility and technique as a way of building strength. Awesome and supportive community.“
After more recommendations for places to exercise in Canberra? Check out our articles on the best gyms, the best martial arts schools and the best Pilates studios for some helpful guides to the best places in Canberra to get you started on your fitness journey.
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Do you work out at a CrossFit gym? Which one? Share your experience in the comments area below, whether good or bad.