The humble household appliance is a saving grace in the way we live today. They automate manual tasks, expedite processes, and do the bulk of heavy lifting around the home. These magnificent machines can steam a fish, roast a chook, or poach an egg to perfection. They keep us – and our homes – spick and span, washing or dusting the day away with ease. They keep the temperature ambient, and even provide sparkling water on demand.
However, despite their many advantages, these marvels of technology are not bullet proof. All appliances are subject to wear and tear brought on by the rigour of everyday use. At times they falter, malfunction, or even cease to work all together.
Indeed, we have all been there. You may have lined up a week of washing only to discover disaster mid-way through the first load. Perhaps you prepped for a dinner party only find a gasless stovetop. Or opened the wine fridge to find that your bubbly is anything but chilled.
While home-grown troubleshooting techniques may work on some occasions; appliance repair work is best left in the hands of professionals. Fortunately, Canberra is home to a skilled crew of expert appliance repairers.
Appliance repairers are to appliances what mechanics are to cars; skilled technicians trained in the art of repair. They reprogram, mend, replace, and mould our appliances back into use. But, with so many types of appliances from a multitude of brands, finding the right appliance repairer can be challenging.
If you find yourself in an appliance bungle, we are the bearers of good news. We have rounded up the best of the bunch for appliance repairs in Canberra. Be it in a hot mess in Taylor, or in a puddle in Turner, read on to find a repairer near you.
What makes a great appliance repair service?
Great appliance repairers are mechanical masterminds, mending their way through all manner of appliance products. They have an innate knowledge of manufacturer products and are skilled at both the in’s – and out’s – of repair. While searching for an appliance repair service we suggest keeping the following in mind:
- Specialised knowledge. With so many manufacturer models out there, it pays to employ the services of a specialised repairer. Consider the nature of your appliance and hunt down a repair service that is well versed in its repair. In many instances a licensed electrician, plumber, or gasfitter, will be required to complete the repair. If so, be sure to check for valid licensing along with appropriate levels of insurance. Moreover, if your appliance is under warranty, ensure the repairer is accredited under warranty terms. If in doubt, contact your manufacturer’s customer service centre for appropriate repairers.
- Skilled expertise. Appliance repair is far from a walk in the park; and requires skilled expertise to complete each job properly. Equally, appliances are costly to buy, and should only be repaired by experts who know exactly what they are doing. So, when considering which service to employ, look for years of robust hands-on experience.
- Diligent & dependable. The best appliance repairers are consummate professionals, who understand the timely nature of their work. They are punctual, precise, and dependable – all valuable traits in an appliance emergency. Furthermore, their calm and friendly demeanour works wonders in times of stress, particularly when having strangers attend to your home.
- Competitively priced. In many instances, repairing an appliance is more cost efficient than replacing it. In saying that, the cost of repairs should not put you out of house and home. So, contact your appliance repairs service for a view on how they charge, including things like call out fees, parts, and labour. The sum of which, should be reasonably pegged to the degree of repairs and the expected lifetime of the fix.
- Wonderful warranties. The last thing anyone wants to do is call on a repairer mere moments after they have completed a job. That is why any worthwhile repairer will be open about the expected longevity of repairs, parts, and warranty period. Be sure you understand warranty terms, along with an inclusions or exclusions. And, as always keep a record of your repair work, in either a digital or hard copy receipt.
The best appliance repair specialists in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Since first opening their doors in 1994, family-owned and locally operated Detlev’s, have flourished into one of the most respected electrical service providers in the region. Boasting a talented team full to the brim with electrical expertise, they seamlessly translate client needs into reality.
Detlev’s offers a robust programme of residential and commercial electrical services, from installation and repairs, through to home automation and more. Their award-winning team of licensed electricians are adept at all manner of electrical work from grand to small. Bet it a renovation, extension, new build, or repair, they have it covered.
Going hand in hand with their installation services are of course appliance repairs. Detlev’s electrical installers are skilled hands at investigating, diagnosing, and repairing a wide range of appliances. From dishwashers and dryers; to cooktops and washing machines; their team can repair it all.
Importantly, Detlev’s Electrical repairs service operates with a fully stocked van. A first-time fix approach is their end game; as such they strive to fix an appliance on the first call out. Should there be a need for a return on the same job, clients can rest assured that they will never pay a second call out fee.
When it comes to appliance maintenance, the team Deltev’s Electrical are authorised to service or repair a range of the world’s leading brands. In fact, Deltev’s specialise in European suppliers including the likes of Neff, Meile, Bosch, Ilve, and more. As accredited installers and repairers they offer valued peace of mind. Should challenges be experienced with household appliances, expert assistance is a but a phone call away. And in many instances, the team can liaise directly with manufacturers on a client’s behalf.
For quality appliance repairs by skilled technicians contact Detlev’s Electrical today.
Natalie Sammons shared her experience with Detlev’s on Google, “Great customer service and friendly team. Very efficient, would definitely recommend.”
The team at AES Appliance Service offer quality appliance repairs for those in the Canberra region and surrounding areas. AES Appliance Service is an authorised agent for the following manufacturers: Hoover, Bosch, Miele, GE Refrigerators, Ariston, Siemens, and more. Their committed team is dedicated to understanding appliances inside and out, so they can quickly and effectively detect, diagnose, and repair just about any appliance on the market. It’s that easy.
As Nat Weston writes in their Facebook review, “Absolutely love my new dishwasher. Adam and Eucale went over an above to accommodate my needs in a timely manner. I highly recommend AES Appliance Service. Thank you.”
Specialising in appliance repair, Tait, the man behind the Ginger Beard Repair Service (and the owner of the infamous ginger beard itself) is a licensed electrical repairer with years of experience. He’s able to repair any type of appliance, from your refrigerator to your dishwasher. Offering upfront pricing and a friendly, local attitude, the Ginger Beard Repair Service is a fantastic option if you’re dealing with a broken or faulty appliance.
Liz Milbourne wrote the following in their Google review, “Tait was excellent. He took on a challenging job and went above and beyond to chase up parts and fix my cooktop. He was able to repair something that other companies refused to look at. I highly recommend him!”
Silva Plumbing Service is a Canberran business that is family owned and operated, offering an extensive suite of both domestic and commercial services. With a business model that prioritises customer satisfaction, and a team of friendly staff that have been carefully selected and trained, Silva guarantees not only a successful service, but a positive one a well. Outside of just plumbing services, Silva can also help with gas changes and fittings, which includes the repair of your oven or stovetop. The team can carry out all necessary safety checks, and even replace your appliance if it’s too damaged. They are available 24/7 to offer their services, so they’re great not only for longer-term jobs but also emergency repairs too!
Happy customer Paul Deller writes in their Google review, “Michael gave great advice and was very reasonable in his price. I wouldn’t go anywhere else from now on.”
Established over 15 years ago, Canberra Plumbing & Drains services the Canberra, Queanbeyan and Jerrabomberra areas. Promising a quick but thorough service that meets your standards, the whole team of qualified and accredited staff are available for both same-day and emergency 24/7 services should you need a quick repair done by a team you can trust. In addition to their plumbing and drainage services, Canberra Plumbing & Drains can help you with appliance repair for heating units, whether that’s general maintenance, repairing damaged parts or full replacement, and the same for evaporative cooling systems – two crucial appliances for getting through the harsh Canberra winters and summers!
Tamara Brown wrote about their experience in this Google review, “Attended and fixed an issue promptly and within the quotes rate. Staff are very friendly, getting them back again!”
Looking for more recommendations for appliance repairs for your home? Check out our articles on the best oven repair services, the best washing machine services and the best toilet repair specialists in Canberra for some helpful information! Finally, to integrate appliances in a smart home set up be sure to read our article on the best home automation system installers in the region.
Your experience with appliance repair services in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the appliance repair services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.