Ah the internet. Remember the days when you and your siblings would lug your hardware to the nearest hall hosting a LAN gaming session? We thought the future was upon us; and the comical nostalgia of it all makes us grin from ear to ear! Now, the internet has become more than a mere faculty of entertainment. It has spawned technological leaps and bounds in the way that we live every day.
Indeed, the internet has brought a sense of connectivity that has made our lives easier, more convenient, and so readily accessible. When it comes to our homes this connectivity has completely transformed them. Keyless entries, intuitive grocery lists, closed blinds at sunset, and checking on children from afar are now realities.
Once the realm of the most luxurious Red Hill properties, home automation systems are now found in every corner of Canberra. From Holder to Holt and everywhere in between we are flocking to automated home solutions in droves. Whatever you choose to call it – home automation, IoT systems, or smart homes – the trend is most certainly upwards.
While anyone can adopt a simple entry level solution, creating a true smart home requires complex planning, designing, and installation. Any new home build infrastructure needs careful consideration, and retrofitted systems call for major works to upgrade. That is where home automation system installers really shine!
These guys and girls are experts at creating and implementing smart homes. From integrated audio to high tech visuals, adaptive security, and connected appliances they can do it all. They manage the end-to-end process from specifying, designing, installing, and maintaining fully automated systems.
In a world where the possibilities really are endless, their expertise is vital to ensuring you make the right choices the first time around. So, who should you talk to about creating your automated home? Read on below.
What makes a great home automation system installer?
Great home automation system installers are virtuosos of connectivity. They work hard to understand your needs and devise custom solutions accordingly. They are masters of integration and technological whisperers cabling wonders within your walls. When it comes to selecting an installer for your next project, we suggest keeping the following in mind:
- Qualified, licenced, insured. The holy trilogy of all electrical work is to check for the right qualifications, licensing, and insurance. When it comes to home automation installation this is no different! A reputable installer will be able to demonstrate their qualifications with Great installers are also members of CEDIA, the international Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association. Moreover, they must be accredited for the specific aspects they are installing, be it design or integration. Finally, ensure insurance mandatories are taken care of including public and third-party liability. To this point, also request proof of professional indemnity insurance, which will cover any errors in design or installation.
- Experienced. Any residential home automation installation is effectively custom and as such specific to each property. The technology and systems that underpin each custom framework are also designed to be fit for use. The complexity of design, fusion of integration, and of course installation requires expert skill. That is why finding an experienced installer is so important. Look for evidence of past projects in both design and installation, and check to see that the level of work matches that of your home. Moreover, if you are looking to upgrade a legacy system ensure fluidity in both old and new frameworks.
- A-team. It is unrealistic to expect a single person to have all the skills needed to complete a home installation on their own. That is why it’s best to opt for a team of skilled home automation specialists working together to provide you with the right outcome. This A-team should operate cohesively, communicate well, and manage the project efficiently. Furthermore, look for installation companies where the bulk of critical staff are in-house rather than contracted or outsourced. In the same vein, ensure that any staff are properly vetted before allowing them to commence works on your home. This vetting should include things like a CVC police check for added peace of mind particularly when dealing with home security.
- Technical support. While your installation may be complete, this should not be the end of the job. Aftercare is incredibly important when it comes to home automation systems. With a patchwork of systems, platforms, and protocols all tied together there will most certainly be times when technical support is needed. Be it a power outage, a software update, or general error, the best installers will offer comprehensive tech support well past the install. Ask if your installer provides ongoing support, what is done remotely, and when they are happy to help in person.
- After care. Installing an entire smart home ecosystem is by no means an inexpensive exercise. While manufacturers will undoubtedly provide a degree of coverage on components, what you really want is full systems coverage. As with all technological systems they are subject to a barrage of factors that impact performance. Things like bad weather or power outages and system or software bugs can all present usage challenges. This is why comprehensive after care forms such a vital component of your home automation installation. Ensure your contractor is available to attend on premises and over the phone as needed. Moreover, check for any maintenance or repairs services as these will certainly come in handy as time progresses.
The best home automation system installers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
From humble beginnings in 1994, Detlevs' family-owned and operated business has grown to be one of the most respected electrical companies in the Canberra region. They boast a dedicated team of all-round electrical experts, with everyone from senior leaders to award-winning licenced electricians, skilled in translating client needs into reality.
Detlev’s offers a comprehensive slate of residential and commercial electrical services tailored to projects both large and small. Be it a renovation, extension, or a home build, they provide design and installation services from wiring through to the integration of appliances and more.
The team at Detlev’s cater well to the full spectrum of general electrical services. From fundamentals like power points, antennas, and sensor lights; all the way through to complex circuit or switchboard upgrades and telecommunications; their specialised and skilled trades have got it covered.
A cornerstone offering is their home automation service suite. Their team of design and installation experts work to take home comfort to the next level. This wheelhouse includes a range of exciting inclusions such as lighting, security, entertainment, heating and cooling, windows and blinds, and appliances.
Their integrated home automation systems provide the convenience of complete control, be it by voice, device, or remotely whilst away. Importantly, Detlev's Electrical have all the right industry connections. They are approved agents for a range of European appliance brands; and are accredited with the leading smart home innovators including C-Bus, DALIcontrol, Savant, Tebis KNX, and Nero.
As accredited installers and repairs they have direct manufacturer access for added peace of mind in times of need. Should challenges arise with a home automation system, bet it a single feature or the entire smart ecosystem, they are only a phone call away.
For intelligent home automation systems that reflect they way you live contact Detlev's Electrical today.
Tina Hay shared this glowing review of Detlev's Electrical on Google, “Professionals who understand their business. Highly recommend the team at Detlev's.”
ACT Licensed Electrician: 2020292
With over twenty-five years in the industry, AudioTech have positioned themselves as one of the leading installers for home automation in the ACT. From a speciality stemmed in audio and visual entertainment solutions, they have naturally progressed into the realm of home automation.
Services include the design and integration of home theatre solutions, multi room audio and visuals; security and surveillance; along with control of access, lighting, curtains and blinds. For a custom system designed to suit your lifestyle requirements look to AudioTech.
Abraham Kurian shared this review on Google, “AudioTech installed some home automation for my new home. Very impressed with the knowledge and workmanship of the team! …. Highly recommend them.”
Locally based home automation specialists, Modern Automation, are all about making your home smarter, more secure, and highly efficient. Offering a full suite of smart home solutions, their services include lighting control, blinds and curtains, thermostats, entertainment, alarms, and surveillance.
A key aspect of their proposition is client care, with an emphasis on both pre and post installation needs. To experience affordable luxury and the convenience of a fully integrated smart home look to Modern Automation.
As a family run business AdTech Industries have been servicing the local region for the past three decades. From their early days in electrical repairs, they have now expanded to incorporate manufacturing, retail, and installation.
AdTech Industries specialises in the creation of smart homes. Their home automation services are catered to the unique needs of each client, and can incorporate as much, or as little as needed. Their experienced team work through all stages; from design, to installation, and repairs; utilising leading brands like CBus and Crestron.
Danniel Lewis shared this feedback on the team on Google, “Great Service. I would strongly recommend.”
If you’re looking for more electrical services, you might like our articles on the best electricians, the best air conditioning, and best security companies Canberra has to offer. To connect other aspects of your home consider our articles on the best outdoor blind and awning suppliers, the best curtain suppliers, and the best ducted gas heating services in the region. Moreover, our articles on the best kitchen renovation companies or the best builders and renovators may help.
Your experience with home automation system installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the home automation installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is home automation and how does it work?
In a nutshell, home automation describes a system of networked, controllable devices that work together to control or monitor aspects of your home making it more comfortable, customised, efficient, and secure. Also known as smart homes, home automation systems can be activated by speech or by various types of applications or devices.
What can be automated in my home?
With the right technology and expertise many aspects of your home can be automated. Things like lights, door locks, security cameras, blinds, sound systems, and heating and cooling are all examples. While the possibilities are wide, a good approach is deciding on desired functionality first, then finding the best systems to achieve it.
What are the elements of a home automation system?
In its simplest form, home automation systems are generally comprised of three elements: a smart hub, a smart device, and a connected application. A smart hub is effectively the command centre of your home, connecting individual devices and allowing them to talk to one another. Some smart hubs work with devices from the same manufacturer, while others work with numerous devices. A smart device is the component that implements commands. These are things like appliances, entertainment items, along with climate and lighting controls. Finally, connected applications provide the ability to control or monitor devices remotely.
What are the benefits of home automation?
Home automation offers many attractive benefits that effectively simplify the way we live. A core benefit is centralised control over an entire home. Another is convenience, being able to adjust aspects while within, or even whilst away. Moreover, increased comfort is also huge benefit, allowing things like temperature and lighting to be set before you return. To this point, energy savings are another benefit, reducing waste and costs long term. Additionally, smart homes offer enhanced security, a huge plus in today’s world. And last but certainly not least, home automation offers peace of mind, being able to check on your loved ones and belongings at the touch of a button.
How much does home automation cost?
The cost of home automation depends on your desired end functionality. At one end, you can set up a simple automated room with smart switches activated by an entry level smart speaker for a couple of hundred dollars. The next step up may include a few smart devices connected to your home Wi-Fi for around $1,000. For something more advanced like direct voice commands and using smart wearables like a watch you are looking at $5,000 plus. And, upping the ante for most bells and whistles found in luxury homes, automation could cost upwards of $100,000.