If your toilet is blocked, leaking, doesn’t flush or is damaged in some other way, you’ll need a fast, effective and affordable toilet repair plumbing service.
A quality toilet repair specialist understands the urgency with broken toilets and will solve your problem asap.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a toilet repair specialist, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a good toilet repair plumber?
Choosing the right toilet repair plumbing service is key to fixing your problem quick sharp without necessarily breaking the bank.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a toilet repair specialist.
- Appropriate licences and insurances. In the ACT, all plumbers need to be licensed and meet eligibility requirements (such as having completed a relevant qualification). Double check that your chosen plumber is licensed and has current public and products liability insurance to protect you if work doesn’t go to plan.
- Transparent pricing. Your plumber should be upfront with you about how much things will cost. Quotes and invoices should be transparent, with no unexpected fees or charges.
- Quality parts and products. While using cheaper parts will save money in the short term, they generally don’t last as long and will need to be replaced sooner. For longevity and real value for money, look for a plumber that uses the best part or product for the job – not the one that costs the least.
- Promptness. Broken toilets need to be fixed as soon as possible, so you might want to consider hiring a plumber who offers emergency or same-day service. The plumber should arrive on time and ready to work.
- Effective communication. You shouldn’t need a plumbing qualification to understand what your plumber is talking about. A great plumber is willing to discuss the job at a level you can understand and will recommend the most economical approach.
Signs you might need your toilet replaced
Not sure if you need a full toilet replacement, or just a simple repair? While a plumber can provide expert advice, these warning signs indicate you might need to replace our toilet.
- Frequently clogged. Clogged toilets are relatively common, but random or recurring clogs may indicate a bigger issue, especially if you have an old, low-flush toilet. If your toilet clogs at least once a week, it’s time to call a plumber.
- Cracked porcelain. Puddles around your toilet might be caused by cracks in the bowl or cistern. While cracks might not affect flushing, constant water exposure can damage flooring, and encourage mould and mildew growth. If you see cracks, it’s time to replace your toilet right away.
- Frequent repairs. If you have so many toilet issues that your plumber is on speed dial, it’s usually cheaper to get a new toilet. The same is true for toilets that need multiple repairs all at once.
- Toilet wobbles. If your toilet wobbles, it might loose screws or signify a bigger problem like rotting or water damaged floors. Call a professional toilet repair specialist to get matters checked out and be on the safe side.
- Inefficient flushing. Older toilets and non-water saving toilets can use a lot of water. If you have a large family or are environmentally conscious, changing to a dual-flush toilet can reduce your water bills.
Important essentials to check before engaging a plumber
Master Plumbers ACT recommends you conduct these checks before engaging a plumber. They’re easy and only take five minutes. They’ll ensure you don’t engage a dodgy plumber.
- Check that the plumber has a registered business by checking they’re registered through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Check that the plumber is registered on the Access Canberra List of Licensed Plumbers. If you can’t find their name, they’re probably not licensed.
- Check the plumber’s website and advertising. Make sure their ABN and license number are posted and check if they have Public Liability Insurance. Also check if they hold a membership in a reputable industry association such as Master Plumbers ACT. If they don’t have a website or don’t have this information on their site, it’s likely best to move on.
- Ask the plumber you choose to bring proof of their Public Liability Insurance when they arrive on site.
The best toilet repair specialists in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Founded in 2010 by Tom Martin, Water Tight Canberra provides plumbing, drainage and gas fitting services around the Canberra region. All work is guaranteed, and plumbers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including for toilet repairs and replacements. No job is too big or small and the Water Tight Canberra team has the skills, equipment and ability to get the job done fast so clients can get on with their lives.
As a national 2019 Telstra Business Award winner, Water Tight Canberra has a reputation for quality plumbing services – including repairing and replacing toilets and hot water systems – in the ACT and region.
Customers say they appreciate Water Tight Canberra’s punctuality, commitment to customer service and honest advice.
In addition to guaranteeing the quality of technicians’ work, Water Tight Canberra offers a cleanliness guarantee, and an on-time guarantee. If a team member doesn’t leave their work area in the same or better condition as when they found it, Water Tight Canberra will pay for a professional cleaning service. And if a plumber is more than 10 minutes late to a job, Water Tight Canberra will waive the service call fee.
As Maria Hart wrote on Google, “Company states they want to provide a ‘WOW’ experience for their customers and boy did they deliver! From the online booking system down to payment, this has been the best tradie experience I’ve ever had. Full transparency around price and services, excellent communication … They even wore boot covers! Very reasonably priced and professional. Thanks again team!”
ACT licensed plumber: 2017441. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service (ONBPS) specialises in all types of plumbing, including toilets that won’t flush, have sprung leaks or need replacing. Available 24/7, ONBPS’ after hours technicians are located across Canberra, so they can arrive quick sharp, especially in an emergency.
Outside of regular business hours, ONBPS technicians aim to diagnose and solve the problem over the phone in case it can safely wait until morning. This saves customers after-hours fees.
Founded more than 50 years ago, ONBPS is known for quality workmanship, high-quality, genuine parts and products, and extensive employee training. ONBPS ensures that every job meets the high standards of its customers. All plumbers are employed by the company – ONBPS does not hire contractors.
ONBPS trains all plumbers to pay attention to detail and treat customers’ homes as if they are their own. Every job is photographed, and time-stamped photos sent to head office ensure work meets stringent quality requirements.
ONBPS customers appreciate regular communication, including advance notice of delays and how work is explained before it begins. Plumbers keep work sites neat and tidy.
As Kelly Humphries wrote on Google, “I would highly recommend this company. They were efficient, proficient, knowledgeable, reliable and extremely professional.”
ACT licensed plumber: 2005108. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
MSJ Plumbing Group is a family owned and operated company with more than 30 years’ experience in fixing and fitting plumbing and gas in Canberra and surrounding region. All work and materials are guaranteed and MSJ Plumbing Group provides hassle-free service 24/7. Same day service is guaranteed for residential and commercial emergencies. Transparent, upfront fixed prices are provided to customers—no hidden costs.
All tradesmen working for MSJ Plumbing Group are fully licensed, qualified and certified.
The breadth of plumbing services provided by MSJ Plumbing Group include repairing and replacing toilets. They also deal with blocked drains sewer and stormwater, high pressure water jetting, hot water systems—service and replacements, burst pipes and water leaks, water drainage and piping, as well as bathroom and kitchen renovation plumbing (installation and repair).
Vanessa Vanderzwart wrote on Google, “Highly recommend! Was super happy with the fast service and affordability compared to other local businesses. Will be using again in the future!”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2013104. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Jet Blast Plumbing is a family owned and run business with more than 25 years’ experience. With a $0 call out fee (some conditions apply) and a quick response time, their professional plumbers repair or replace toilets in a timely manner before the problem gets worse.
Equipped with a powerful high-pressure water jetter, Jet Blast Plumbing clears blocked toilets in no time. The jetter has 31 horsepower and expels 31 litres of water per minute making it a highly effective piece of equipment for unblocking toilets fast.
Customers are reassured with a fixed repair price, meaning they know how much a job will cost before work begins and don’t need to worry about mounting hourly rates. Jet Blast Plumbing is available 24 hours, 7 days for handling emergency situations.
As satisfied customer Aaron Downey wrote on Google, “I don’t often give 5 out of 5 but seriously can’t think of anything about Tony’s service that would be a point deduction.”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2018299.
Canberra Plumbing and Drains, a local family-owned business, has been supplying the Canberra, Jerrabomberra, and Queanbeyan areas for more than 15 years. Its plumbers can help with toilet installations, toilet repairs, tap repairs and other plumbing needs – all with quality workmanship and a high levels of customer service.
On Google, Matthew Heath wrote, “The guys at Canberra Plumbing & Drains are first rate. Prompt service, quick diagnosis and assessment.”
Eveready Plumbing is a locally owned and operated plumbing business with more than 25 years experience. Its 24/7 emergency service – ideal for malfunctioning toilets – is fast and efficient, and available across Canberra and region.
Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Daniel Zauner wrote on Google, “One of the best companies I have had the privilege to work with. Reliable, reasonable and professional.”
Silva Plumbing Service is a family business founded in Canberra more than a decade ago. Its 24/7 plumbing services, including toilet repair and replacement services, are built around quality product, responsiveness, transparency, customer satisfaction and personal relationships. The team is friendly, well-presented and professional.
On Google, Leanne Muir wrote: “Phoned for a quote to replace our in wall cistern, as four other plumbers couldn’t fix it … three hours later and our toilet is functioning.”
If you’re looking for more specialised plumbing services, check out our other articles on the best plumbers, the best emergency plumbers, the best blocked drain plumbers, the best commercial plumbers, the best hot water systems repairers and the best gas fitters in Canberra.
Your experience with toilet repair specialists in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the plumbing companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.