Car wrapping is one of those elusive things that many of us tend to stumble upon by chance. For some the notion of car wrapping may have slipped into a casual conversation with an auto-enthused friend. For others this idea may have surfaced in a web search for car paint alternatives.
It may be surprising to know that the origins of car wrapping began early last century, as a form of vehicle branding in the marketing game. Fast forward to the here and now and after countless innovations, car wrapping is now an advertising cornerstone. As an easy, cost-effective form of brand promotion, car wraps are on vehicles everywhere.
Offering a multitude of benefits, it is easy to see why. Car wrapping is versatile as it is swift. Not only can it support a range of colours or graphics; it comes in varied textures too. Application is often completed quickly, extending from a single panel to an entire vehicle. Unlike alternatives it is car wrap is temporary; and updated or removed easily. And, having built a reputation for durability it is also hardwearing.
But buyer be warned. The market is saturated with car wrapping products, some of which are vastly better than others. And, like many aftermarket products the result is often only as good as the standard of installation. So, to help narrow down your search see our pick of the best car wrap installers in Canberra below.
What makes a great car wrap installer?
Great car wrap installers are masters of vinyl delivering enthusiast grade finishes for makes and models large and small. Here are some things to keep in mind while evaluating potential installers:
- Experienced technicians. Wrapping a car is a delicate and intricate process which should only be handled by a professional graphics installer. Qualified technicians carry both the knowledge and experience across all aspects of wrapping. Indeed, the best are certified by authorised suppliers and are installers of choice for dealerships. From design and materials through to preparation, installation, maintenance, and removal they have it covered. To avoid bubbles, bumps, or peeling film be sure to review your installers portfolio and reputation.
- Premium products. While evaluating potential installers pay attention to the nature of the materials and products used. Like most aftermarket automotive extras, you tend to get what you pay for. Quality can differ greatly between economic and premium products, resulting in variances with appearance and standards of performance. If in doubt, consult your installer to identify which products they work with. Some of the leading international car wrap products come from the likes of 3M and Avery Dennison to name but a few. Finally, consider your car, your individual needs, and be weary of any quotes are significantly lower than others.
- Custom design capabilities. The best car wrap installers have the creative flair to bring the most vivid custom designs to life. While many car wrap installers handle basic jobs on the regular, only a handful will truly specialise in custom projects. Even if you are looking for a simple colour change, a custom specialist is more likely to deliver great results. Why? Because they posses the skills, equipment, and experience needed to complete the most complex installations.
- Top-notch installation facilities. Quality materials are one thing, a great installation is another. When it comes to car wrapping, the installation process is the most labour-intensive component. Skill set aside, there are other environmental factors that influence the quality of installation. To achieve optimum outcomes installation should always be performed in a clean, dust-free, temperature-controlled environment. The best car wrap installers know this well and have top-notch installation facilities that enhance their service.
- Additional services. Many of the leading car wrap installers also offer a variety of specialised aftermarket coating services. This often extend to cover things like paint protection film, ceramic coatings, and window tinting. While you may not have a need for all of these, the fact that they are offered is a good indicator of expertise. And, if the time should ever come that you do, all will be available under the one roof.
The best car wrap installers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
From their headquarters in Phillip, the X Auto Detailing team offers a full suite of interior and exterior detailing services, including general washes, deep cleans, paint enhancement and protection films, polishing and waxing, ceramic coating, window tinting, vinyl wrapping and more.
Led by directors Cindy and Bin, X Auto Detailing is a team of passionate car people with the professional experience to ensure every car wrap is done to an impeccable standard. A range of colours, textures and custom designs are available.
To avoid uneven textures or premature aging, Cindy stresses the importance of having an experienced installer. "Wrapping is an intricate process," she says. "Our staff are genuine car enthusiasts who treat each and every vehicle like their own. Any car can become a work of art when care and creativity is put into it."
Clint Parker recently put his rare 2004 BA GT Falcon into the care of X Auto technicians for a sleek black vinyl wrap, window tint and full detailing. Close to two decades old, Clint's Ford was showing some serious signs of wear, including cracking and fading on exterior surfaces.
"I couldn’t be happier," he said online. "The X Auto team did an amazing job to bring her back to life. The team’s professionalism and attention to detail is second to none. The entire car, inside and out, looks and feels like new."
Signature Wraps first began in 2017 borne out of an obsessive love for cars and high-end car customisations. Today they are positioned as one of Canberra’s finest vinyl wrap and paint protection film installers.
Signature Wraps provide a range of services from commercial signage and custom stickers through to entire custom graphic wraps, ceramic coatings, paint protection film, tinting, and detailing. For professional service, quality products, and a team that consistently strive for flawless results look to Signature Wraps.
Sion Mao shared feedback on Google, “Greatly appreciate Miguel and the team for doing an excellent job on the carbon fibre wrap. Very professional services and advice and good price as well!”
With over 39 years’ experience in sign design and manufacturing, Sign World are positioned as one of the leading promotional car wrap installers in Canberra. They understand the impact that quality signage can have on your business and offer a comprehensive range of sign products.
When it comes to vehicle signage, they offer complete or partial wraps for all manner of commercial vehicles. Whether it is a supplied design or designed by the team in house, their car wrap promotional services are hard to beat.
Peter Wines shared his experience on Google, “Thank you Sign World team the wrap for my business vehicle is great and value for money I will be a returning customer.”
Founded in 1975 and three generations later, Capital Signs have built a solid reputation in the commercial car wrapping space. Perfect for those seeking vehicle brand promotion Capital Signs are known for their work on cars, utes, trucks, vans, trailers and more.
Offering design, manufacture, and installation services, their team create and fit promotion vinyl wraps. Capital Signs also offer an extensive range of sign services from windows through to shopfronts and more.
Happy client Pookie shared this review on Google, “My work fleet all done by these fellas, very pleased. I would recommend using capital signs.”
With over ten years’ experience Enzo Car Wrap have built a reputation as one of the regions finest car wrap installers. Specialising in vinyl wrap, paint protection films and car window tinting, they have worked for countless clients across cars of all shapes and sizes.
As an authorised and accredited wrapping workshop, they offer some of the worlds leading brands including Avery Dennison, Suntek, and Opti-Coat. To enhance the appearance of your car, look no further than Enzo Car Wrap.
Lloyd Strecker had this to say on Google, “The best customer service and very trustworthy staff.”
Conveniently located in Mitchell, Dapper Auto was founded by a pair of car-culture enthusiasts with an eye for detailing and protective flair. Offering a range of auto enhancing services including vinyl wrapping, paint protection film, ceramic coating and more, Dapper Auto cater well to client need.
With a reputation for excellence this award-winning ensemble are experienced and qualified applicators who are specialists at their craft. Fully insured and expertly trained Dapper Auto are a great choice.
Past customer Sam Valecha shared this glowing review on Google, “Got my tesla wrapped. It was done with perfection and dealing with these guys was amazing.”
For added car protection check out our article on the best car window tinting in the region. To maintain that showroom finish check out our articles on the best car washes and the best car detailers Canberra has to offer. And, for mechanical assistance see our articles on the best car service centres and the best mechanics. To compare new car options, be sure to check out this article on the best car dealerships in the region.
Your experience with car wrap installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the car wrap installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a car wrap?
A car wrap is an aftermarket automotive practice of partially or completely covering a vehicles original paint with a vinyl wrap. The application of a wrap allows for swift changes to a vehicle’s appearance, and one that can easily be restored by removing and returning to the original paint condition. Wraps offer graphic and colour choices, along with varied finishes such as gloss, matte, or clear.
What types of car wraps are available?
The are plenty of choices when it comes to car wrapping. The most common options include advertising wraps generally used to showcase business or branding information; clear vinyl wraps used to preserve and protect paintwork; and colour vinyl wraps which are an opaque film used to change a car’s colour or finish.
How long does it take to wrap a car?
Generally, a car wrap can be completed in as little as a few hours to a week at most. This duration typically depends on the nature of the installation and wrap selected, along with the size and complexity of the vehicle. There are also a number of steps involved in the end-to-end wrap process so be sure to consult your installer for a run down on the process and installation times.
How long do car wraps last?
A typical car wrap can last for between three to five years. Lifespan does vary however and is often dependant on factors like the quality of installation, type of vinyl used, exposure to the elements, and care. Always follower installation care guidelines to get the most out of your wrap.
How much does it cost to wrap a car?
Full vehicle car wraps generally range from $3,000 to upwards of $8,000 per vehicle. This cost will naturally vary based on the size of the car and complexity of installation, as well as the type of wrap product selected.