Electricity sure is a wonderous thing. With the first Australian public building lit by electricity around 1879, it now permeates the very fabric of Canberra living. So taken for granted is it’s use, that we often only realise the value of electricity when the power is out.
Indeed, there are many circumstances that trigger an investigative response into electrical providers. You may have recently installed solar, completed a build or renovation, moved house, or simply desire a better deal. Either way, this mission can cause angst amongst even the most seasoned utility hunters.
Anyone who has attempted to properly understand their bill will know this well. There can be tariffs, upon tariffs, a myriad of peaks periods, and rate changes all through the quarter. There are different metres, feed ins for solar, and a plethora of ways to receive a bill and pay.
The truth is it is not rocket science. You just need to know where to look. And, with protection offered by industry regulation within the ACT, all you need to do is research and negotiate well. So, who are the best electricity providers in Canberra? We have featured the best in show below.
What makes a great electricity provider?
Great electricity providers do more than keep the lights on. They power the needs of today, while planning for the needs of tomorrow. Here are a few measures to help assess energy providers:
- Terrific tariffs. While residents of the ACT benefit from regulated ceiling prices, gains can be made when selecting a tariff. A tariff is effectively the way that energy supply is priced and charged. Tariffs include a combination of fixed and variable costs based on consumption. A great way to snare the best tariff is to consider your individual household needs. As a general guide, low usage households may benefit most from low daily supply rates. High usage households however often benefit from low usage rates, as these constitute a sizable chunk of total costs. Therefore, consider your household energy expenditure and hunt for the best tariff accordingly. Note that metre type does play a role in your ability to extract a deal in this area. In some instances, it may be worth considering upgrading to capture long term savings.
- The right plans. The supply of electricity to a property comes with a contractual agreement between property owner and provider. These contracts, or plans, cater to typical energy consumption habits for given consumer segments. The reality is that no two customers are truly alike, so find a plan that best represents you. To do this, look at the bigger picture. Consider everything from rates per kwh, to supply charges, through to fees like billing, payment type or late payment. Moreover, consider the contract duration, contract terms, and things like establishment or cancellation costs. Then, consider incentives.
- Customer benefits. To keep customers honest, some providers offer various incentives to customers. Advertised incentives can take the form of things like discounts and bill credits. Other incentives may be offered for integrating solar systems or combining products like gas. Digging deeper, some providers may offer incentives for direct debit or paperless communication. Much like tariffs, consider your needs and elect to review those that are most valuable to you. One point to keep in mind is that some discounts appear great, however may come with higher charges elsewhere. Always review from top to bottom to get the full picture.
- Super service. Anyone who has spent more than twenty minutes on hold will value what super customer service offers. Ditto for sketchy call centre phone lines, or the inability to get back to the person handling your case. So, given the investment made into powering our properties find a provider that puts you first. Look for a glowing reputation, happy past customers, and fewer complaints. Even test it out; make a call as an existing and prospective customer and assess your experience.
- Renewable sourcing. Electricity consumption can be a double-edged sword for the environmentally conscious. On one hand it is a vital service to powering any property, on the other it impacts our planet. Indeed, many of us have integrated solar into our homes and businesses for this exact reason. While it certainly helps, it may not cover all electrical expenditure. So, when shopping around for electricity consider how your provider sources it. Some retailers are investing quite heavily into renewable energy assets, while others not so much. Indeed, many providers even open the door allowing customers to elect the portion of their supply that comes from renewable energy. GreenPower is a great reference point to begin your exploration on renewables. After all, renewable sourcing is money well spent.
The best electricity providers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
As one of Australia’s largest energy providers, EnergyAustralia offering a variety of natural gas and electricity plans to over 1.7 million customers nationally. Their portfolio of generating sites include thermal coal, natural gas, hydro-electric, solar, and wind power.
EnergyAustralia promote simple pricing and straightforward plans, with extra value offered for both electric and gas customers. Moreover, their award-winning customer service features a simple online sign-up process and digital account access.
Renewables and energy efficiency are a key focus, offering customers 100% carbon offset power at not additional cost.
Catherine from QLD had this to say in a customer survey, “Super easy process and very competitive pricing.”
With over 4 million customers nationally, Origin Energy is one of Australia’s largest integrated electrical and gas providers. Services include not only in electricity and gas but also solar and energy-efficient product options.
Origin Energy offer a range of benefits including an extensive range of energy plans, online account management, flexible payment options, no lock-in contracts or exit fees, simple sign up and next business day connection.
As a GreenPower accredited business they also offer energy options to both large and small businesses.
Canberra-born ActewAGL is a local energy provider boasting a 100 year plus history in the ACT community. Their all-inclusive energy spans electrical, gas, and solar.
Combining traditional customer service with state-of-the-art products, ActewAGL offers the best of both worlds. Great plans, competitive pricing and flexible payment options are just the start of benefits offered.
Moreover, as a GreenPrower accredited provider ActewAGL’s Greenchoice product allows customers to elect the portion of power sourced from renewables.
Martine P had this to say on Google, “Have been a customer for years, ActewAGL is a terrific supporter of the Canberra community.”
Newcomer Energy Locals have built a reputation for flipping the traditional provider model on its head. Their focus is on value pricing strategy coupled with clean energy. They charge a fixed membership fee with access to wholesale electricity prices. Moreover, Energy Locals buy carbon offsets to the value of all energy used.
Energy Locals stand apart from the crowd operating not just as an energy provider, but also as a social enterprise. Customers can elect to donate a portion of rates charged toward an organisation of their choosing, such as Starlight Children’s Foundation or the Cancer Council but to name a few. Currently Energy Locals provide electricity only.
David Craig shared his experience with Energy Locals on Google, “Great electricity company, offering 100% Carbon offset at a very competitive price.”
New local market entrant ReAmped Energy is an independent electricity provider operating in several markets across Australia. Their point of difference is structured around simplicity, both in terms of pricing and contracts. As such, they boast low prices minus conditional discounts along with no lock-in contracts.
ReAmped Energy cater to solar and provide renewable sourcing options up to 100% of the total bill. As a primarily digital business core communications are managed online and via app. Currently ReAmped Energy supplies electricity only.
MLS shared this great review on Google, “I’ve had my account with ReAmped for almost 2 years and I’ve always found them helpful. Their app is great, their payment options are flexible and you can do almost anything yourself online….”
Your experience with electricity providers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the electricity providers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.