If you are a business or commercial property owner, you will know all too well about keeping costs low. Reducing overheads or running costs, are a simple and effective means to instantly improve the bottom line.
Easy as it sounds, achieving an overhead reduction without compromising on space or essential services is quite challenging indeed. In an era of skyrocketing electricity prices many business owners are seeking alternative means to find a solution.
Fortunately, the demand for renewable energy – along with government intervention, have helped to make commercial scale solar more affordable. This, along with the myriad of benefits also make solar harvesting an attractive long-term option.
Solar systems effectively save on energy costs by generating electricity at a lower cost than purchasing on the grid. With solar panels bearing a serviceable lifetime that spans decades, what results are significant cost reductions over time. The economic benefits however do not end there. Solar systems can also generate revenue by on-selling power to tenants or electricity retailers.
The environmental benefits are also rather attractive. Solar systems deliver reduced emissions and in doing so improve a buildings overall energy efficiency and environmental rating. This alone has enormous benefits to commercial property owners, making it easier to attract tenants on sustainability merit.
Great! I hear you say, that is exactly why I am here! But how do I take the next step and find a solar installer that is worth the cost of investment? I am glad you asked. We appreciate that this may feel like a mammoth task. The good news is that Canberra is home to some world-class commercial solar installers, and we have listed the best of the bunch below. Read on to find out more.
What makes a great commercial solar installer?
Great solar panel installers look good on paper, but the best deliver tailor made solar solutions that allow you to reap the benefits for decades. Here are our suggestions on what to look out for when assessing your solar installers:
- Highly experienced. Not all solar systems are created equally. Commercial solar systems often deal with larger panels, and more of them, all served by complex infrastructure. So, when it comes to finding an installer for your commercial grade set up, seek one with specific expertise in this area. Look for at least five years experience, great customer reviews, and any personal recommendations. Positive feedback around pre and post installation works, service levels, and issue resolution will all help to provide some assurance on their expertise.
- Appropriately licensed. When it comes to licensing for solar work within the ACT, both retailers and installers must hold a government issued electrical license. Prerequisites for licensing include specific electrical qualifications and eligibility criteria; with licenses issued under several classes. This is particularly important as only a licensed electrician can provide a certificate of compliance covering the system and electrical work. To check on the validity of your installers license visit Access Canberra’s list of licensed electricians.
- Industry accredited. The solar industry in Australia is heavily accredited by the peak industry body, Clean Energy Council. Funded by members, the council issues accreditations for installers, along with categories of accreditation from design-only, install-only, to design and install. In addition to design and installation, the council also maintains a register of approved panels and inverters that meet Australian standards. Moreover, they run a voluntary approval program for solar retailers.
- Comprehensively insured. As with all professional trades, and particularly those conducting business at a height, always vet for appropriate insurances. For solar installers look for appropriate levels of cover for public liability insurance, workers compensation insurance, and contractor’s insurance. For commercial scale systems be sure to cite all insurance certificates.
- Clear contracts. Great installers will offer the utmost transparency with regards to their contracts. Look for installers who provide itemised quotes, including all parts and components itemised by brand and product number, along with labour. The quote should also include as assessment of the systems performance, and the system design. Additionally, timelines for installation, payment terms, any exclusions or extras should be provided in writing. As for warranties, look for coverage on both products and installation, along with the standard performance warranty on panels. Always clarify post installation maintenance along with the resolutions process for any warranty claims.
Important essentials to check before engaging a solar installer
To ensure quality and professionalism a couple of minutes spent checking the following will help to give you peace of mind; and ensure you avoid a mediocre installer.
- Confirm the provider runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Ensure the provider holds an appropriate electrical license by checking the Access Canberra list of licensed electricians.
- Check that designers and installers are appropriately accredited by the peak industry body, the Clean Energy Council.
- Ensure all panels and inverters are approved by the Clean Energy Council.
- Verify the providers public liability insurance and level of cover.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best commercial solar installers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Canberra based Mondiaux Solar are a renewable energy specialist retailer. As a member of the Clean Energy Council and an approved retailer, Mondiaux Solar offers solar supply, design, and installation services for commercial clients.
With a reputation for delivering end-to-end quality, their experienced team of senior engineers and installers provide cost-effective products on which you can rely upon for years. Their consultative approach forges a deep understanding of commercial scale energy requirements and usage patterns to inform system design and development.
They appreciate the return expected from commercial investments and work closely to ensure each system is designed to maximise the benefits of solar energy whilst reducing long term operational costs.
Their experienced installers execute with utmost efficiency, installing with minimal disruption to daily operations. Care extends to well beyond installation, with Mondiaux Solar conveniently offering solar cleaning and maintenance services all under the one roof.
Mondiaux Solar credentials extend to the government sector, as an approved government procurement contractor for renewable energy. They partner with leading solar system suppliers to ensure that all installations feature the highest quality solar photovoltaic panels, solar inverters, and mounting components.
With a minimum five year whole of system and installation warranty, Mondiaux Solar’s commitment to quality hard to beat. Their five-star track record and glowing past customer reviews make Mondiaux Solar a great choice for your next commercial scale solar system.
Sam Furler shared this glowing feedback on Mondiaux Solar on Google, “Very happy. Great customer service, competitive pricing and installation was seamless and on time. Highly recommended.”
Since first entering the market eight years ago, Solar Hub have grown to become one of the capitals leading solar retailers combining cutting-edge technology with impeccable customer service.
With over 8,000 systems installed, they believe in helping businesses optimise their power providing measurable economic impacts that reduce running costs and improve the bottom line.
As a Clean Energy Council approved retailer using approved products and installers you are in safe hands for your next commercial grade solar system.
Martin Scott had this to say about Solar Hub on Google, “Easy to talk to about which solar panel setup would suit our future needs. Very patient with our questions and no pressure. Professional installation and kept us informed of the whole install process.”
At the forefront of some of the most innovative solar energy technology, EPC Solar design and deliver turnkey renewable systems. Founded in Canberra five years ago, they now offer nation-wide servicing for commercial and industrial clients around Australia.
Whether your commercial needs span solar installation, solar carparks, solar farms, or microgrids, EPC Solar have the knowledge and expertise to deliver quality through and through.
As members of the Clean Energy Council, and accredited retailers, consider EPC Solar for all of your engineering, procurement, and commercial construction needs.
J left this great review on EPC Solar on Google, “Brilliant work by the team at EPC Solar – install on our café was smooth and already seeing huge energy savings.”
If you’re looking for more information to improve your energy efficiency in Canberra, you might like our article on the best solar panel installers or the best double glazing companies Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with commercial solar installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the commercial solar installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.