Canberra sure does have the best of the best when it comes to weather in Australia. From breathtaking blooms in spring to glorious sun-baked summers, outdoor living is an absolute treat.
With a perfect blend of cosmopolitan cool and eco sass at every turn, it comes as no surprise that Canberrans are expanding their outdoor spaces in droves. The alfresco lifestyle is one of luxury, offering the freedom to merge indoor with out and getting the best of both worlds whilst doing so.
That said, not all of us can simply knock down and rebuild. Most of us need to consider utilising existing space – and making it more liveable. Perfectly matched outdoor blinds or awnings are a helpful solution. They offer protection from the heat, glare, wind, and rain, all whilst increasing space.
Traditional canvas awnings have been used around the world for decades. Much like their modern counterparts they provided shelter and privacy, while equally lifting aesthetics. The newest options offer complete automation in a range of synthetic materials with all manner of retracting capabilities.
With so many options finding the right outdoor blind or awning can be confusing. This is where your local outdoor blind and awning supplier comes into play. These specialists in outdoor window furnishings make light work of a hard task; and we have shortlisted the best that Canberra has to offer below.
What makes a great outdoor blinds and awnings supplier?
The best in class blind and awning suppliers provide exemplary personalised service from start to end, stock quality products from the world’s leading brands, and offer years of expertise. Finding a great supplier will ensure you are fitted with an outdoor solution that not only looks great – but will last too. Here are our tips on what to look out for:
- Quality components. As the saying goes, the whole is only as good as the sum of its parts. This old adage holds true when it comes to outdoor blinds and awnings. To ensure you maximise value from your investment look for suppliers who stock premium quality components and state of the art materials. Even a manual blind will short when fitted with poor parts, so look for quality at every stage. Fortunately, there are a raft of innovations particularly when it comes to blind and awning fabric, which means more choice and better quality around the board. Understand your rights as far as warranties go and be clear on maintenance and care advice.
- Expertise. While a trade license isn’t required to install outdoor blinds or awnings in the ACT; it makes the call for experience ever more pressing. As a result, look for suppliers with years of proven experience and a long list of happy customers. Be sure to check online reviews and directories for recommendations. Experts generally shine through upon meeting however this is only really put to the test in installation, so it pays to do your homework.
- Expansive range. The best outdoor blind and awning retailers stock products that address a range of outdoor needs and solutions. Look for depth in their product range, and for world class brands. Be clear on your specific needs and prioritise these with the supplier. The best outdoor blind and awning suppliers will be able to recommend the best solution regardless of budget.
- Custom Measure. The most reputable blind and awning retailers will provide highly personalised service including a custom measure and quote. This involves sending one of their experts to your home or business for a one-to-one consultation, where your needs and key concerns are identified and addressed. This should also include a measure and detailed quote covering both supply and install charges.
- Maintenance. A flawless installation is one thing, however having someone to lean on when issues arise is another. Subsequently, be sure to enquire about post installation services such as repairs and maintenance. Do they offer call out services? Who can you contact to troubleshoot an issue? What happens if you need to submit a warranty claim? The best retailers will have simple and straightforward solutions to all of these in house.
The best outdoor blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With over 45 years’ experience, locally owned Regency Knights has been helping Canberrans select and install outdoor blinds and awnings for all applications. This professional, attentive window furnishing business provides custom-made products for all tastes, styles and budgets.
Regency Knights offers high-quality window, outdoor deck, doorway and courtyard shade solutions in a range of styles, from classic to modern. An extensive selection of fabrics is available, in all colours and styles, with up to 10 years’ fabric warranty.
At Regency Knights, customers can choose alpha awnings, traditional awnings, specialty awnings and the Australian designed and made Zipscreen awnings. Also motorised awnings for ease-of-use and straight-drop blinds. Only external-grade metals are used.
Regency Knights provides advice on the best way to fit out spaces for shade in hot summers, to enhance entertaining areas and to create insect-free environments. Full sun-blocks canvas, sun-shading acrylic and one-way screen fabric choices provide maximum flexibility.
Professional installation is by experience technicians who expertly handle tricky and difficult-to-access areas, including with clever mounting options. Free estimates and quotes are available. Products and installation are backed by warranties for peace of mind.
Ondrae Campbell wrote on Google: “Regency Knight installed two outdoor blinds for us, and we are very happy with the results. They know blinds, explaining options for a complicated space. All staff were professional, courteous and helpful, even shifting the outdoor furniture for the install and moving it back where it belongs. They took away all the packaging and old blind fixtures as well.”
ELITE Window Furnishings is a locally owned business in Fyshwick. With more than a decade of experience, ELITE Window Furnishings provides high-quality awnings, shutters, blinds and curtains. Personalised and tailored services is a guarantee, no matter what style, need or preference. ELITE Window Furnishings provides exceptional customer service, quality workmanship, and competitive pricing.
On Google, “The entire process was smooth and enjoyable. Furthermore, ELITE Window Furnishings is very competitive on price, and the quality of their products and installation are second-to-none.”
Proudly Canberran, family owned and operated, Watson Blinds & Awnings have an extensive product range that cover both the inside and outside of your home. They have fitted over 67,000 homes in the Canberra region within their 50+ years of business.
Shane Jenkins shared this glowing review of Watson Blinds & Awnings on Google, “Very professional and pleasant staff, and the same goes for the products and service. From measure and quote to install we have always been very impressed and always got what we wanted. It’s also good to support local and easy to do with the great products.”
Local and independent, Indoor Outdoor Blinds Australia have been serving Canberra and surrounds for over twenty-five years. They supply and install an expansive range of architectural, commercial, and residential shade solutions.
From café blinds, to ziptrack or straight drop awnings, stylish cupolas and dutch hoods, to florentine and folding variants Indoor Outdoor Blinds have a large catalogue of products.
Paddy Woolley had a positive experience with Indoor Outdoor Blinds as shared on Google, “Good range of products and service from Stephen, his lads did a great job of our entertaining area. Happy with the quality and value.”
First opening its doors in 2014, Australian Outdoor Living ACT has focused on making the great Australian dream a reality by setting new standards of innovation and excellence in outdoor living solutions.
Glen Carratt shared this glowing review of Australian Outdoor Living ACT on Google, “Vince installed our outdoor blinds this morning. We are extremely happy with them. He was very friendly & was a pleasure to have him doing the job...”
The Canberra Blinds, Awning and Curtain Centre offers a large range of both indoor and outdoor window furnishings along with repairs and cleaning services all under the one roof.
Servicing both retail and trade markets, they offer outdoor solutions to help you get the most of your alfresco areas whilst protect your home from the elements.
Stocking both fixed and retractable outdoor blinds and awnings from all the leading brands be sure to consult this team for some options.
Jatin Khanna shared this great review via Google, “Thanks Terry, for a great product and excellent service. Extremely happy with my zipTrack and e-zipline Awnings. They look great! Your prompt follow through and quick remediation are excellent testimony of your professionalism and workmanship!”
If you’re looking for other window covering options check our article on the best roller shutter suppliers, or for indoor window dressings perhaps our article on the best curtain suppliers Canberra has to offer. To integrate your outdoor blinds or awnings into your smart home read our article on the best home automation system installers in the region.
Your experience with outdoor blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the outdoor blinds and awning suppliers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are outdoor blinds waterproof?
Most outdoor blinds offer a degree of water resistance, the extent of which will depend on the weave of the fabric selected and its quality.
How do outdoor blinds retract?
Outdoor blinds are typically roller mounted screen systems which are either manually retracted or automated via motorisation. Consult your outdoor blinds supplier for available options to suit your space, needs and budget.
What is the best material for outdoor awnings?
Outdoor awnings come in a variety of material options each with their own benefits. The most durable outdoor awnings tend to be made of synthetic materials such as acrylic, offering great heat insulation and water repellent properties.
How long do awnings last?
The lifespan of an awning is subject to the material of construction, climatic conditions, and degree of maintenance. Generally speaking; the average awning typically lasts between 5 to 10 years.
How far can a retractable awning extend?
Generally, the average retractable awning can extend up to a maximum of 4 metres. As these are custom built always consult the retailer for recommended specifications to suit your space.