Canberra sure does have the best of the best when it comes to weather in Australia. From breathtaking blooms in spring to glorious sun-baked summers, outdoor living is an absolute treat.
With a perfect blend of cosmopolitan cool and eco sass at every turn, it comes as no surprise that Canberrans are expanding their outdoor spaces in droves. The alfresco lifestyle is one of luxury, offering the freedom to merge indoor with out and getting the best of both worlds whilst doing so.
That said, not all of us can simply knock down and rebuild. Most of us need to consider utilising existing space – and making it more liveable. Perfectly matched outdoor blinds or awnings are a helpful solution. They offer protection from the heat, glare, wind, and rain, all whilst increasing space.
Traditional canvas awnings have been used around the world for decades. Much like their modern counterparts they provided shelter and privacy, while equally lifting aesthetics. The newest options offer complete automation in a range of synthetic materials with all manner of retracting capabilities.
With so many options finding the right outdoor blind or awning can be confusing. This is where your local outdoor blind and awning supplier comes into play. These specialists in outdoor window furnishings make light work of a hard task; and we have shortlisted the best that Canberra has to offer below.
What makes a great outdoor blinds and awnings supplier?
The best in class blind and awning suppliers provide exemplary personalised service from start to end, stock quality products from the world’s leading brands, and offer years of expertise. Finding a great supplier will ensure you are fitted with an outdoor solution that not only looks great – but will last too. Here are our tips on what to look out for:
- Quality components. As the saying goes, the whole is only as good as the sum of its parts. This old adage holds true when it comes to outdoor blinds and awnings. To ensure you maximise value from your investment look for suppliers who stock premium quality components and state of the art materials. Even a manual blind will short when fitted with poor parts, so look for quality at every stage. Fortunately, there are a raft of innovations particularly when it comes to blind and awning fabric, which means more choice and better quality around the board. Understand your rights as far as warranties go and be clear on maintenance and care advice.
- Expertise. While a trade license isn’t required to install outdoor blinds or awnings in the ACT; it makes the call for experience ever more pressing. As a result, look for suppliers with years of proven experience and a long list of happy customers. Be sure to check online reviews and directories for recommendations. Experts generally shine through upon meeting however this is only really put to the test in installation, so it pays to do your homework.
- Expansive range. The best outdoor blind and awning retailers stock products that address a range of outdoor needs and solutions. Look for depth in their product range, and for world class brands. Be clear on your specific needs and prioritise these with the supplier. The best outdoor blind and awning suppliers will be able to recommend the best solution regardless of budget.
- Custom Measure. The most reputable blind and awning retailers will provide highly personalised service including a custom measure and quote. This involves sending one of their experts to your home or business for a one-to-one consultation, where your needs and key concerns are identified and addressed. This should also include a measure and detailed quote covering both supply and install charges.
- Maintenance. A flawless installation is one thing, however having someone to lean on when issues arise is another. Subsequently, be sure to enquire about post installation services such as repairs and maintenance. Do they offer call out services? Who can you contact to troubleshoot an issue? What happens if you need to submit a warranty claim? The best retailers will have simple and straightforward solutions to all of these in house.
The best outdoor blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Local and independent, Indoor Outdoor Blinds Australia have been serving Canberra and surrounds for over twenty-five years. They supply and install an expansive range of architectural, commercial, and residential shade solutions.
From café blinds, to ziptrack or straight drop awnings, stylish cupolas and dutch hoods, to florentine and folding variants Indoor Outdoor Blinds have a large catalogue of products.
Paddy Woolley had a positive experience with Indoor Outdoor Blinds as shared on Google, “Good range of products and service from Stephen, his lads did a great job of our entertaining area. Happy with the quality and value.”
The Canberra Blinds, Awning and Curtain Centre offers a large range of both indoor and outdoor window furnishings along with repairs and cleaning services all under the one roof.
Servicing both retail and trade markets, they offer outdoor solutions to help you get the most of your alfresco areas whilst protect your home from the elements.
Stocking both fixed and retractable outdoor blinds and awnings from all the leading brands be sure to consult this team for some options.
Jatin Khanna shared this great review via Google, “Thanks Terry, for a great product and excellent service. Extremely happy with my zipTrack and e-zipline Awnings. They look great! Your prompt follow through and quick remediation are excellent testimony of your professionalism and workmanship!”
With over fifty years and counting Watson Blinds and Awnings have fitted over 67,000 homes in the Canberra region with gorgeous window dressings both inside and out.
Watson Blinds and Awnings are proudly local and boast the only window furnishing manufacturing facility in the region. They offer an impressive range of outdoor furnishing solutions from blinds to all manner of awnings be it roof, straight drop, pivot or retractable.
Shane Jenkins shared this glowing review on Watson Blinds and Awnings on Google, “Very professional and pleasant staff and the same goes for the products and service. From measure and quote to install we have always been very impressed and always got what we wanted. It’s also good to support local and easy to do with the great products.”
Chadwick Designs are a specialist supplier and installer of internal and external window furnishings for residential and commercial clients alike.
This family-run team focus on developing aesthetic outdoor solutions to address problems such as light, insulation, weather protection and privacy. Leading the way in design and trends they offer high quality furnishings.
With a product selection that combines the best of European and Australian innovation, look to Chadwick Designs for quality outdoor blind and awning solutions.
Lynn Pendrigh had a wonderful experience with Chadwick Designs as shared on Google, “Chadwick Designs advised us on the purchase of a retractable awning for our north facing outdoor entertainment area. Everything went smoothly from ordering, delivery through to installation and our awning is a great success. Thanks to all the Chadwick team.”
If you’re looking for more information on blinds and awnings shops in Canberra, you might like our article on the best roller shutter suppliers, or for indoor window dressings perhaps our article on the best curtain suppliers Canberra has to offer. If you’re also looking to update your garden, our articles on the best turf and artificial grass suppliers or the best landscapers in Canberra might be helpful.
Your experience with outdoor blinds and awnings suppliers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the outdoor blinds and awning suppliers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.