A well-designed landscape is more than simply an aesthetically pleasing space. The artful mix of considered design, integrated structures, and connectivity to nature is what makes it truly stand out. Indeed, anyone and everyone that has ever set foot in our nation’s capital will agree, it sure is one pretty place.
From our chic civic spaces to picturesque parks, examples of breathtakingly orchestrated landscapes are everywhere. These harmonious outdoor spaces capture the mind and soul, drawing us in and bringing us closer to nature. Not only do they elevate our daily experiences; they ultimately lift our quality of life that little bit higher.
Now make no mistake – these green masterpieces are never an accident! Meticulously devised and cleverly composed, each square metre of space has been calculated by a landscape architect. Skilled at blending form and function outdoors, they breathe life into any green canvas be it residential, commercial, or public. Seeking a landscape architect for your next project? Here is our selection of Canberra’s best.
What makes a great landscape architect?
The best landscape architects are all about creating healthy and sustainable surrounds that both look and feel wonderful. Here is what we think separates the best landscape architects from the rest:
- Qualified. Before engaging the services of any landscape architect ensure they are appropriately qualified. Tertiary qualifications in architectural design are essential, along with professional membership at the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects. Also be sure to review your landscape architects licensing. While a landscaping licence isn’t issued in Canberra, a Class D builders’ licence is needed for building works including non-habitable external structures. Moreover, those working across the border into New South Wales will require a landscaping licence. Finally, check for insurance.
- Experienced. Aside from professional knowledge and training, experience is key. Several years in practise ensures your landscape architect has the expertise needed for success outdoors. Insights into things like climate, soil composition, horticulture, and structural engineering are all key. Additionally, consider the requirements of your given project and aim to find a skills match. Be it low maintenance natives or spaces that change with the seasons, this specialisation matters.
- Diverse designs. Creativity is another key factor to consider on your search for a landscape architect. Here consider two areas – firstly their ability to create a vision; and secondly tailoring it to meet a client’s preferences. Often the best way to assess this is to explore their portfolio, seeking examples of the brief, designs, and finished work. Also be clear on the design process along with your input as a client.
- Planet positive. The best landscape architects understand that without sustainability a garden cannot thrive. Being planet positive is more than simply offsetting hardscape surfaces. It is a holistic approach across a landscapes design and maintenance that puts the planet first. Things like low maintenance, water-efficiency, designing for the local ecosystem and climate are all important. Any great landscape architect will live and breathe this ethos.
- Connected. Much like any professional service, a strong network is a vital asset of all leading landscape architect firms. These industry connections and interwoven relationships offer you the client many benefits. From greater access to suppliers, skilled contractors, and even better rates, each contributes to a premium result.
The best landscape architects in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Specialists in landscaping design and construction, Landculture are passionate about helping their clients design, build, and grow their outdoor spaces. Working across residential and commercial spaces, their team of professionally trained and highly experienced landscapers have been creating solutions for over a decade.
Adopting a full-service approach, Landculture can assist in the start to finish journey for any outdoor space. Be it a small and intimate oasis or a large-scale public project, they know how to harness form and function and adapt to any size.
Supported by their in-house team of structural landscapers, builders, carpenters, horticulturalists and more, Landculture are well positioned to bring each project to its harmonious fruition. Blending both hard and softscapes, this seamless integration ensures a natural look and feel.
With a focus on quality and craftsmanship, the team prioritise integrity at every stage. Be it steel fabrication, retaining walls, paving, decks, irrigation, and soft works, this focus helps to deliver the highest of standards.
And, once all is said and done Landculture can assist with keeping helping your green space to thrive. With a dedicated maintenance team, they offer general garden maintenance, lawn care, and specialist pruning. For gorgeous green spaces and dutiful care look to Landculture.
As Gayle Roche shared on Google, “Jarrod and his team are so professional…. They worked tirelessly through rain, hail, and sleet. Nothing was an issue, and they all enjoyed the challenge. I would have no hesitation in recommending them and in fact am happy to have clients come and have a look at their work.”
A locally owned and operated family business, In-Depth Landscape Construction services both residential and commercial clients across the ACT and surrounding region. On a mission to transform Canberra’s landscape one yard at a time, they strive to make our outdoor spaces more comfortable and appealing than ever.
A one-stop-shop for all landscaping needs, In-Depth Landscape Construction’s high calibre team assist will all stages of your external project. From design concepts and approvals through to construction and completion they have it covered.
Luke Bayliss had this to say on Google, “Excellent to deal with, fantastic results, will absolutely use again and recommend to anyone.”
As an award-winning local family business, Botanica Landscapes boast over forty years’ experience in landscape design. With a long and respected reputation throughout the Canberra community, the Rehwinkle family are now in their third generation on the horticultural scene.
With an experienced team of innovative designers and professional landscapers, they are all about turning green dreams to reality. Focused on delivering high-quality design and construction, their start-to-finish landscape offering ensures a smooth transition at every step.
As Katie T shared on Google, “Elliot and his team were exceptional to work with. From the design stage, to being adaptive to our changes and requests during construction, to delivering a final product that was absolutely on time and on brief, the Botanica team were great. We now have our dream garden. I would highly recommend this business.”
Gardengigs are all about creating beautifully bespoke local landscapes suited to all lifestyles and budgets. With over twenty years in the industry, Director, and Lead Designer, Greg Clues, has a passion for creating outdoor spaces that serve as sanctuaries for their beholders.
With a team of highly qualified and experienced designers, horticulturalists, and tradespeople, Gargengigs offers end-to-end landscape architectural servicing. From consultation through to custom design and construction, their responsiveness and professionalism are hard to beat.
As Megan Swain expressed on Google, “Greg was excellent - prompt response to my enquiry and got the work kicked off within a couple of weeks. Really helpful with ideas for the two small courtyards at my house and they look lovely! The contractors he organised for paving and turf install were also great. Highly recommend.”
Your experience with landscape architects in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the landscape architects listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a landscape architect do?
Landscape architects fuse design and ecology to plan external environments. They play an integral role in orchestrating our experience of being within all manner of spaces, from suburban neighbourhoods and parks all the way through to cityscapes, corporate campuses, and green infrastructure. Key responsibilities include the siting, design, and construction of such areas.
How are a landscape architect and a landscape designer different?
While both create outdoor spaces, landscape architects specialise in larger public spaces whereas landscape designers specialise in smaller residential projects. Landscape architects generally have a higher level of technical knowledge in ecology and structural design, due to their extended qualifications, training, and licensing requirements.
Why might I need a landscape architect?
If you are looking for a custom solution to a large space; seeking to address environmental issues; or change the lay of the land; then a landscape architect may be just what is needed. As they have a wider scope of capabilities beyond simply landscape design, they can assist with so much more.
What are the advantages of hiring a landscape architect?
Landscape architects are effectively trained to think about landscapes as systems combined with design. This distinction means that they are best equipped to create unique, sustainable, connected, and efficient landscapes – both large and small. If you are looking for a well-executed considered solution that lifts the value of your property, look to a landscape architect.
How much does landscape architecture cost?
Much like every professional service, costs typically vary dependant on project scale and complexity along with the expertise of the landscape architect. Design only costs start from approximately $80 to upwards of $150 per hour. These costs do change dependant on the scope of services a landscape architect is engaged to do, so for an acute quote contact your local team.