Rain, hail, shine or technical gremlin drama, the team from 2XXFM’s drive-time music show, LocalNLive, have been on the airwaves keeping Canberra company. Jam packed full of music and delightful treats for your ears, the team interviews local Canberra performers, artists, bands and musicians. The crew regularly chats with performers from around the globe who stop by Canberra to deliver unique and intimate performances in local venues.
On Monday you will find ACT power couple Joel and Jackie. They are sparse with their words but fill every show with massive, solid tunes and belly-jiggling laughs. On Tuesday Boss Lady Laura, a.k.a. DJ Loz, a.k.a. 2XXFM’s Music Director, soothes anything that ails you with her calm voice and ridiculously vast knowledge of the local music scene. Wednesday brings you Brett who takes listeners away to magical places. Brett continuously walks you down Canberra’s musical memory lane, constantly reminding everyone who listens how amazing our local music scene is.
Thursday is the day you can tune in with Nathan a.k.a. DJ Nate the Great to maybe hear local music. Often instead of local beats he delves into tin foil hat conspiracy theories or the latest in irrational controversies gripping the nation. Joined weekly by the Coastal Correspondent, Pat, giving thoughtful ripostes to DJ Nate the Great’s ravings. Despite the title he is never really at the beach, but Nathan thinks it sounds cool anyway. Friday is where you will find me, Rachel (article autor), and my fabulously talented co-host Lucas. The flow is fast, interviews are plentiful and best described as “organised chaos”. They are the Captains of the 2XXFM Random Club.
The team have compiled a list of some of their favourite releases of 2016. The list was led by Laura and Nathan but The RiotACT would love to know what your top tracks of 2016 are and if we missed any?
- Glitoris – Disgrace EP
- Wives – Whipping Boy
- Spartak – I Fought The Style
- Foreign Kings – Self-titled
- Nick Delatovic & Reuben Ingall – Jeff Buckley’s Hallelujah
- The Nicholas Combe Nonet – Once is Enough
- Chris Finnigan & Reuben Ingall – Kill Climate Deniers
- Dog Name – Dog Name
- Melt – Deep Layer
- The Black Horses – The Black Horses
- The Blade Winner – Aspinall After Antill
- The Blade Winner – Songs of Evil and Longing
- The Blade Winner – Shocking Venus
- Space Party – New Wave
- PROM – Whatever I Want (All The Time)
- Fuzzsucker – Naughty
- Faux Faux Amis – 50/50
- Agency – Do We Go It Alone? & I Know I’m In Flames
- Cracked Actor – Duo and Upstructures EP
- Otiose Trio – Cartacoethes
- Sensaround – Travelogue
- Romeo and Juliet Died Ok! – Magic and Theatre
- Brother Be – Coconut La
- Tom Woodward – Vagrant Songs, Music for Clowns and Blergh
- Pocket Fox – The Brightest Light
- Sketch Method – Razy Lacism Single
- Aphir – No Muse single
- The Barren Spinsters – Hearts Just Not In This Anymore
- Ghost Noises feat Coolio Desgracias– Leviathan
- Organic Mechanic – Dyskinesia EP
- Grand Duke – Mountains To The West
- Yoko Oh No– White Commodore
- Tangents – Stateless
- Kirklandd – Rise feat Mondecreen
- Nix and Pat Psyfa – Venture Capital EP
- Jack Biilmann – Own Worst Enemy
- Ta-Kun-Da – Sex so Good
- Humanizm – Dark Matter
Did we miss a great Canberra track from 2016? Let us know in the comments!
Pictured – Kirklandd, Bleach It Clean, D’Opus & Roshambo, Foreign Kings, Black Mountain String Band, Ghost Noises, Happy Axe, Ta-Kun-Da, Scarecrow, Toddla Emcee and iLL Gato – All pictures by Rachel Moore.