Whether you need a contract nanny, a full-time nanny or an occasional babysitter, finding the perfect person to take care of your children can be a daunting task.
The right nanny for your family will depend on your care needs, parenting style, budget and how many children require care. But what other qualities should you look for in a nanny, and where should you look for the best in Canberra?
Let’s take a closer look.
What makes a great nanny?
When you hire a nanny, you are trusting them with something very, very important – your child or children. You want to give your kids a positive experience, while ensuring their happiness, health and safety are well looked after.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a nanny.
- Experience. Canberra’s best nannies have years of experience with young children. They’ve seen it all before and know how to respond to just about any situation. Some nannies will also have experience in settings like early childhood care, as a student teacher, or as a parent, which can be an added bonus.
- Certifications and insurance. At a minimum, your chosen nanny should have a Working with Vulnerable People registration, a current first aid certificate and nannying insurance.
- Alignment with your parenting style. Every parent has a different approach for raising children, and it’s important that your nanny’s philosophy aligns with your own. For example, if you practice attachment-style parenting and don’t like to let your baby cry, you might feel more confident with a nanny who is familiar with this parenting style and willing to be consistent.
- Rapport. Nannies, especially those providing care several days a week, can become a huge part of you and your child’s life. Look for a nanny who you like, get along with and whom your children enjoy spending time with.
- Fairly priced. A very experienced, in-demand nanny will cost more than a junior nanny at the beginning of their career. Do your research between providers to ensure that you’re not paying too much for a nanny with the level of experience that you require.
The best nannies in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Miss Nanny is a local professional nanny service providing high quality, one-on-one childcare for families in and around Canberra.
Sole nanny of the business, Abbey Ison, is a qualified early learning educator who understands the fundamentals of the early years and strives to deliver supportive and loving bonds with each child and family she meets.
Miss Nanny offers a variety of affordable services to cater for every families individual needs and requirements, from casual bookings to assisting with housekeeping and covering overnight stays.
Run by professional nanny Georgia Vickers, Mama Nannies is a boutique nanny agency that provides a motherly approach to nannying in the Canberra region. Whether it’s one night, short-term, long-term or finding someone to care for the children at your next event, Mama Nannies can provide that trusted, helping hand you need.
Long-term client Renee shared her experience with Mama Nannies in a website testimonial: “As a business owner and mother of two, maternity leave has never been an option for me. Georgia has been an invaluable asset to my family since she started caring for my first child, on a permanent basis more than three years ago. Hiring Mama Nannies has enabled me to get back to work without suffering from the inevitable ‘mum guilt’ because I know that my children are in the best care possible.”
Care for Kids is an online nanny and childcare services directory, with professional nannies located Australia-wide. This time-saving service allows you to investigate, review, and connect with potential nannies in the Canberra region.
First, you search your area. You can refine your search by selecting particular qualifications (such as first aid, or drivers licence), experience (such as special needs experience, or teaching experience), language, and more.
Then, browse your matches. To view the full profiles of potential nannies, you’ll need to create a free account with Care for Kids. From there, you can contact nannies of your choice.
GLK Nannies is a boutique placement agency that matches experienced and enthusiastic nannies to families in Canberra and surrounding areas. Its flexible services include childcare, cooking and cleaning.
GLK nannies are available part-time, full-time, contract and on a casual basis. You can request bookings online, or contact their friendly team directly.
Here’s what happy client Amy had to say about her experience with GLK Nannies in a website testimonial: “I cannot recommend GLK Nannies highly enough. They are extremely professional, reliable and trusting. They show the perfect level of care and affection whilst following the routines that we have in our home. We have found our super nannies.”
Your experience with nannies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the nannies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.