As we move forward well into the twenty-twenties a few things about how we work have changed. Perhaps most significantly, is they widely accepted hybrid model of todays workplace. With more employees balancing their time between home and the office than ever before, flexibility has become key.
Flexibility however is more than simply a choice of when and how one attends the workplace. It translates into many things. From multiuse spaces to quiet rooms, and communal storage to end-of-trip facilities; an office it seems is more than a place to just log in.
Any commercial design or construct consultant will attest that office fit outs now demand more. Gone are the days of grey-on-grey interiors and row upon row of solitary desk confinement. Great workplace design now translates to the creation of spaces one simply desires to be in.
These spaces are warm and welcoming; flooded with light and greenery; and possess the character that reflects both culture and brand beautifully. They boast the comfort and convenience of home with the technology and facilities that drive productivity. Great workplaces attract people – not only because they look good; they feel good too.
Creating this type of environment is by no means an easy feat. While some may have the means to commission professional expertise, others do so independently. Indeed, good office design comes down to a few fundamentals; making the most of space, flexibility, and blending form with function.
In most cases this can be achieved through considered design and smart selection of fittings and furniture. Simple as this may seem, the sheer volume of furniture options can be problematic for even the most seasoned designers. So, what better place to start than your local office furniture supply store.
These commercial furniture experts are bastions of knowledge with the product range to match. They offer wonderful designs, superior quality, the ability to customise, and swift lead times. For the best office furniture supply stores in the Canberra region do read on below.
What makes a great office furniture and office supplies store?
Great office furniture and supplies stores not only enhance the beauty of your space and brand; they support the comfort and productivity of your workplace. Here are a few attributes that may help you on your way:
- Commercial experts. A hallmark of a great office furniture store is their commercial industry expertise. Unlike residential counterparts, office furniture suppliers specialise purely in commercial grade furniture. They tend to deal exclusively with business customers, from small to medium companies all the way through to enterprise organisations. Bulk orders are common, as are custom requests for sizes, colours, finishes and even bespoke creations altogether. Most of all, they understand the unique needs of business clientele and have the experience and knowledge to advise accordingly.
- Form fused with function. The best office furniture supply stores stock products that address the needs of their customers. They not only reflect corporate aesthetics and brand identity; they also are engineered for use. Indeed, functional furniture means a great deal more in an office environment. Things like height-adjustable desks and ergonomic chairs add to the comfort of employees. Moreover, rooms with configurable seating and flexible storage enhance the use of space while improving productivity. Lean on the expertise and recommendations of store staff to help you make the right purchase decisions.
- Industrial quality. Unlike residential furniture designed for domestic use, the best office furniture is crafted using industrial grade standards. This includes the use of superior quality raw materials, durable fabrics and finishes, and high spec components. Added points go to those who use sustainable practices and manufacture locally in the Australian market. Many pieces are subject to stringent quality tests against things like ergonomics, load capacity, and wear and tear. Indeed, the best office furniture supply stores will stock a range of best in breed products, tested to industry standards, from leading manufacturers. Here you can rest assured knowing your items are of a commercial grade and durable enough to stand the test of time.
- Beautifully bespoke. While no two offices are ever the same, many will have similar challenges when it comes to fitting out the space. Spatial constraints, odd dimensions, and the need to fit more into less all limit the addressability of off the shelf products. This is where office furniture can help. Great office furniture stores stock a selection of customisable items that are designed to adjust to the needs of your space. The best offer made to measure and do so right here in Australia. Locally manufactured items often boast superior quality with the added benefit of shorter lead times. Whether this means a selection of colours or finishes; numerous size options; or completely custom – your needs will be met.
- Superior service. Service, whilst hard to define, service is a key attribute that differentiates the best office furniture stores from the rest. From knowledgeable and experienced staff to smooth ordering procedures, and seamless delivery it all counts. When it comes to kitting out your office in a timely manner look for short-lead times. So too is installation assistance, particularly for items which require fixing or detailed integration. The best office furniture suppliers adopt a partnership approach to their service; that is cyclical end-to-end management of your product purchases. From designing, delivering, and installing; all the way through to warranties, spare parts, and replacement they do it all.
The best office furniture and office supplies stores in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With a heritage that spans over forty years, Burgtec is a name synonymous with workplace furniture. This family-owned Australian manufacturer have built an enviable reputation for delivering world-class workplace solutions tailored for businesses large and small.
Burgtec’s full-service approach offers design, manufacture, and installation services for commercial grade workplace furniture and storage solutions. Boasting fit for purpose products made and crafted locally, each delivers outstanding value without ever compromising on quality.
Bringing their expertise to the table, Burgtec collaborate with clients to design workplace solutions that address their individual needs. They are passionate about supporting other likeminded progressive Australian organisations, fitting each piece of their workplace puzzle like a glove.
Burgtec are known for beautifully blending practical needs with inventive ideas. Their solutions welcome, support, and elevate workplaces; inspiring employees to bring their best every day. As accountable people with a strong work ethic, quality and value are assured.
Their extensive product range features workstations, screens, chairs, soft seating, tables, booths, storage, and accessories. With various sizes, configurations, colours, and finishes, Burgtec can resolve even the most challenging of briefs.
Offering outstanding value and some of the shortest lead times in the industry, Burgtec brings your workplace to life. For well-designed workplace solutions which elevate and support your people look no further than Burgtec.
designcraft began as a small furniture and joinery company over 25 years ago, and has evolved to be one of Canberra’s leading and award-winning retailers of office furniture.
designcraft specialises in fitting out offices with a wide range of desks, electric desks, alcoves, side and meeting tables, office and lounge seating, storage, lighting and accessories, covering many styles. They handle residential, commercial and government projects.
Iconic international brands at designcraft for office furniture include Caon, Nau, Carl Hansen & Son, Walter Knoll, Hay, Elevar, Room, Thinking Works, Gubi and more. Also, Australian brands like Derlot and Didier.
designcraft is the exclusive Herman Miller dealer in Canberra, selling performance task seating such as Aeron, Mirra, Embody, Sayl and Cosm. Herman Miller's warranty on high-performance office chairs is 12 year, 3 shift warranty, meaning someone could sit in the chair for 12 years, 24-hours-a-day and the chair would still be covered.
designcraft inspects every order against the highest standards. Retail and commercial teams have extensive knowledge , an eye for detail and a focus on quality customer service.
On Google, Catherine and Greg Saunders said, “Great customer service. designcraft sells quality genuine designer furniture and accessories that cannot be matched elsewhere in Canberra.”
With over forty years of local and global experience, UCI is one of Australia’s most recognised names in workstation manufacturing. They design, manufacture, and deliver a range of office furniture from workstations and collaborative pods, through to seating, tables, storage, and accessories.
With a conveniently located showroom in Kingston, this proudly Australian owned company boasts a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Adelaide delivering premium ISO certified products. For locally sourced materials made right in Australia look to UCI ACT.
As AO shared on Google, “Great staff, super helpful. I always recommend these guys to anyone looking for office furniture. They've always been happy to work to reasonable time frames and prices.”
Blue Ink Group makes it easy quick to shop for office, school and art supplies, online or in its Fyshwick store. It also sells workplace supplies, technology equipment, office furniture, copiers and printers. Blue Ink Group stocks reputable brands, eco items, Australian-made and Indigenous-branded items. Consultants are on hand to provide guidance and advice. This friendly, local company cares with quality, after-sales service.
Ben Byatt wrote on Google, “... SUPER efficient, friendly and NOTHING is ever a hassle!”
Since first opening their doors in 2002, The Chair Guys have supported hundreds of locally businesses find the perfect seating for their staff. As their name suggests, The Chair Guys specialise in commercial grade ergonomic desk chairs. Stocking all the leading brands from Herman Miller, to FLOKK, Gregory, and more they carry specialist options for ergonomics, posture, and active sitting.
The Chair Guys can also service, repair and clean office chairs, and stock a wide range of quality chair parts. For an expansive selection of commercially certified quality chairs for your office, look no further than The Chair Guys.
Harry Nguyen shared his experience with the team, “Ken spent almost an hour teaching us about the correct seating posture, active seating, and answered any question we had about proper seating/chairs to ensure we were making the best choice and not just trying to sell us a chair. He's clearly very knowledgeable and really cares about his customers.”
Get your next space business-fit by check out our articles on the best managed information technology support services and the best office and commercial cleaners in Canberra. To explore alternative office options perhaps our article on the best serviced offices and coworking spaces may also be of interest.
Your experience with office furniture and office supplies stores in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the office furniture supply stores listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is commercial grade furniture?
Commercial grade furniture has that which has been developed and manufactured to an entirely different standard to regular domestic counterparts. As their name suggests these items are crafted for use in commercial settings such as offices, retail, and hospitality venues and all the way through large scale airports. Commercial grade furniture is typically created with durability and strength in mind, with individual components selected accordingly. Many commercial pieces are subject to rigorous independent quality testing covering ergonomics, toughness, weight bearing capacity, safety, and durability.
What are the benefits of commercial furniture?
Selecting commercial grade furniture for your office setting ensures it is not only fit for purpose, but also provides several core benefits including durability, flexibility, ease of maintenance, and long warranties. Commercial furniture is often manufactured from higher quality components that are stronger and more durable. They also offer greater flexibility, with a choice of finishes, colours, and even custom designs. Not only are they designed to withstand repeated use; they are also all about being easy to clean and maintain. Finally, commercial grade furniture tends to carry lengthier product warranties providing added peace of mind for buyers.
Is commercial grade furniture worth it?
While commercial grade furniture may come with a higher initial outlay, it is likely to far outlast any other residential furniture options. The sheer quality and industrial grade manufacturing standards also generally come with higher product warranties of up to ten years or more. While residential furniture is fantastic in a domestic setting, it typically requires frequent replacement in a high use office setting. If quality, ease of use, and longevity are important then commercial grade furniture is worth considering.
What commercial grade items are worth investing in for my office?
If you’re looking for furniture that will hold up to daily use in a business setting, it is worth the investment in commercial grade furniture. While your own office environment and usage, budget and style will be key determining factors, most settings require similar high use pieces. These include things like desk chairs, workstations or desks, conference tables, lounges and chairs, along with shelving and storage.
What factors should I consider when buying office furniture?
When shopping for furniture for your office it is worth keeping a few things in mind. These include usage case – for whom it will be used, where, and how often; size, scale, and proportion; ergonomics and safety; expected longevity; sustainability; and overall cost per use. If in doubt, speak to your local office retailers or other industry specialists such as commercial fit out experts and interior designers.