A key occupier of office space around Australia, the public sector stands as one of most sizeable tenants. With state and federal government taking up an estimated one third of office premises nationally, demand sure is high.
As our nation’s capital, the private to public occupancy ratio is flipped. Taking up to two thirds of all tenancies, the public sector dominates as the region’s major occupier of office space. With all manner of federal government agencies and associated public services, office needs are vast as they are varied.
From spatial models and teamwork settings through to design principles and security protocol, government fit out requirements are extensive. If you are looking for a fit-out specialist skilled in the public sector, then look no further. Here is our selection of Canberra’s best government fit out contractors.
What makes a great government fit out company?
- Reputable. Often, the best fit-out companies are also the most reputable. Look for established teams, happy public sector clients, and experience in your size and type of government fit out. Be sure to review their project portfolio and even pop into a few competed project sites to assess quality and level of finish. Finally, verify professional affiliations and memberships with associations or industry bodies.
- Qualified. Like many other facets of construction, your government fit out team should come equipped with all the right credentials. Cornerstones like formal qualifications, be it tertiary or vocational, are of course critical for leaders, and all within their team. Much the same can be said of licensing, so ensure their building license is fit for purpose. Other essentials include a construction white card, and finally comprehensive insurance.
- Sector specialists. The public sector – and specifically government, have stringent guidelines when it comes to fitting out the workplace. From the use of space and sustainability through to health and safety, there are plenty of parameters to consider. For the best chances of fit out success, seek out a contractor that is a government sector specialist. Ideally, they will possess experience in projects with similar requirements, built to a comparable scale, and to an equivalent budget.
- Full-service. A huge benefit that comes with engaging a leading government fit out company is the extent of their service offering. Unlike others who specialise in single areas, the best fit out teams offer a full-service approach. Here, the integrated offering includes all aspects of the fit-out process, from assessing viable lease spaces to maintenance. Here, look for turnkey solutions that bridge design, procurement, project management, delivery, installation, and post-fit out support.
- Project professionals. The swift pace of the fit-out industry is unlike any other. With lean time frames and externally determined hours and conditions, finding a team of project management experts is key. Look for teams that offer client-side project and construction management, taking care of everything from regulations to the final finish. The best teams ensure their clients are kept well informed, whilst mitigating delivery risk.
The best government fit outs in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Founded in 2020 by Canberra local Mayukah Senanayake, the team at Moltus Construction have fast tracked their way the top of the fit-out pack. After spending over fifteen years working across various facets of the commercial construction industry, Mayukah identified an opportunity for a boutique, project-proficient fit out business.
For Moltus Construction, a key differentiator are the high calibre credentials benchmarked across their business. Drawing on their extensive tertiary and vocational qualifications along with plenty of practical project management experience, they offer a level of expertise typically found amongst larger market players.
Fusing their expertise in engineering, design, and construction, Moltus Construction are commercial fit out specialists. Working across private and public sectors they help clients from various industries carve out unique spaces in which they can thrive.
Their all-inclusive range of services includes the end-to-end management of fit out projects. From designs, budgeting, cost planning and preconstruction preparation through to project management, construction, and maintenance they do it all. Be it government and corporate enterprise through to retail and hospitality, they are engaged for spaces both large and small.
For government clients it is important to note that the team at Moltus Construction take pride in their exceptional service standards. Fully versed in design requirements of public service spaces they prioritise all aspects from construction and safety through to workmanship and sustainable choices, consistently striving to go above and beyond.
Centrally located in Braddon, Moltus Construction are ready to assist any clients considering embarking on a fit out for their government owned or leased space. For more, contact the team today.
As Ann-Marie Hastings stated on Google, “Thank you Mayukah and Ritesh and your team for delivering to APL such a fantastic end product. You were so helpful and professional at every step of the way. We really enjoyed working with you and will take every opportunity to recommend Moltus Constructions to any and all of Pork's stakeholders.”
Australian-owned and operated, Rork Projects have been servicing the local construction industry for over twenty-five years. As a nationally accredited Indigenous business, they have been providing award-winning and cost-effective fit out solutions for clients here in Canberra and beyond.
Offering everything from fit outs through to multi-level new build projects, their expertise in the government sector is vast. Tapping into the insights and knowledge from their multiple team locations, Rork Projects are an excellent choice.
All about building better, Projex are a Canberra based design and construction business that specialises in construction, refurbishment, and fit out projects for private and government clients.
With a focus on collaboration and innovation, this award-winning team bring a wealth of technical and construction industry expertise to the table. Boasting numerous government projects of all shapes and sizes within their current completed portfolio, Projex are one of Canberra’s best.
As Joe Igoe-Taylor shared on Google, “A great team of professionals to deal with. Fantastic quality of workmanship and design innovation.”
Your experience with government fit outs in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the government fit out contractors listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a government fit out contractor do?
In a nutshell, government fit out contractors ensure public sector spaces are ready for occupancy. Their services are tailored to need - be it a full turnkey solution or a single element like design. Ultimately their expertise ensures that your retail fit out is delivered on time, on budget, and with the look and feel desired.
How long does a government fit out take?
A typical small to medium sized government fit out can take between six to eighteen weeks to complete. Projects with greater complexity and those with large spaces generally require more time. Many variables do influence this, so be sure to obtain an accurate estimate based on your space and needs.
What does a government fit out cost?
Commercial fit outs, like government spaces, can cost anywhere from $500 to upwards of $2,500 per square metre depending on requirements, complexity, and level of finish. For pricing guidance regarding your specific needs, contact your government fit out specialist.
Why should I engage a government fit out specialist?
Aside from ensuring your fit out is completed on time, and on budget, engaging a specialist fit out company offers a raft of additional benefits. Selecting the right company can help to ensure a quality finish, a functionally optimised space, and one with exceptional style. Not only does a fit out specialist bring a wealth of experience and insight to help inform the process; they can also take care of it entirely on your behalf. For more, contact your local government fit out specialist.
Do I need a DA or CDA?
Generally, a commercial fit out or refurbishment will required either a DA (Development Application) or CDC (Complying Development Certificate) to ensure the project meets all local council and Australian standards requirements. To find out if either are needed for your project contact your local fit out contractor.