Seasonal, organic and locally-grown produce is becoming more popular– not just in Canberra but around the world.
If you’re interested in eating more organic fruit, vegetables and other fresh produce, you’ll want to make sure you have your goods delivered from the right place. Great organic food delivery services are committed to providing fresh, high-quality and affordable organic produce, delivered in a timely fashion.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing an organic food delivery service, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great organic produce delivery service?
By choosing the right organic food delivery service, you’ll be reassured that you’ll get quality and delicious, in-season produce when you need it.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing an organic food delivery service.
- High-quality produce. You want organic fruit and vegetables that are fresh and high quality, not stock that’s pretty well had its day. The best organic produce delivery services quality check their food before they pack and deliver.
- Well priced. Organic produce can be more expensive than regular supermarket produce, but that doesn’t mean you have to burn a hole in your pocket. You’ll want to check out different delivery services and compare prices.
- Range of products. Select a service with options that meet your needs. If you’re a family, for example, you’ll need to order a larger box of produce than if you’re a single person. You might also just want to opt for vegetables, or mixed fruit and vegetables. Some organic produce delivery services allow you to customise your box. Some even have other products you can buy online with your organic food order.
- Timely delivery. Being able to order online is convenient, but you’ll want to choose a service that delivers in a timely fashion. Explore when the organic food delivery service delivers, including days, location options and hours (some deliver after hours).
- Bonus products. Some organic food delivery services offer free bonus products with your order, say one choice of herbs with a small box and two choices for a large box. Check out what services offer.
The best organic produce delivery services in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
ARC Organics puts the taste back in real food, delivering certified organic fruit and vegetables at affordable prices. Owned by Claire Stewart, ARC Organics works closely with local suppliers and growers to ensure its produce is of the highest quality.
Delivery boxes of seasonally available, certified organic Australian grown fruit and vegetables come in large and small sizes, with mixed fruit and vegetables or vegetables only. Small boxes get a free choice of selected products and large boxes two choices.
A small selection of biodynamic, locally grown to certified principal products are also available to choose from.
Shop for other rotating products while online, including split yellow peas, sunflower kernels, whole peeled tomatoes, toasted muesli and some body products.
Orders need to be placed by 12:00 midday every Tuesday. ARC Organics delivers to Canberra, Queanbeyan, Royalla, Googong and Bungendore on Thursdays, 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Details for collection points for weekly pickups by rural and apartment living customers are online.
As RiotACT user Gem wrote, “Claire and the ARC Organics team have been a welcome addition to my kitchen! Wonderfully fresh food and often surprise vegetables which make me investigate new, fun, healthy recipes. A very strong recommendation from me.”
Choku Bai Jo offers fresh produce boxes, including a small and large organic mix of fruits and vegetables, delivered Tuesdays and Fridays. Each box celebrates what’s in season, what has been harvested and what is extremely fresh.
Michelle Falvey-Smith wrote on Google, “Just received our first veggie and fruit box and it’s amazing. Huge variety and amazingly fresh.”
Australian Organic Produce is a family owned business with a passion for bringing organic and wholesome produce to Canberra (Wednesday deliveries). The business began in 2019. Customers choose a minimum of one organic box (three types available), shop for the rest of needed items like milk, breads and nuts, and then Australian Organic Produce takes care of the rest.
On Facebook, Rema Issa wrote, “Produce is always fresh and is such a reasonable price for what you receive.”
Doorstep Organics is one of Australia’s longest-running online organic food delivery services. They offer a wide range of certified organic fruits, vegetables, meat, dairy, specialty groceries, and eco-friendly household products.
Monika Kollaras wrote on Google, “I’ve been shopping with Doorstep for over 6 years and would highly recommend them! Their produce is amazing, you get weekly emails about what produce is at its best and what is out of stock …”
If you’d prefer to pick your organic produce yourself, check out our article on the best fresh food markets in Canberra. Or, if you’re keen to take the night off cooking, our article on the best food delivery services in Canberra might be helpful.
Your experience with organic produce delivery services in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the organic delivery services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.