If you’re a real estate agent working with trust accounts, you’ll need to protect funds and follow the rules. You’ll want funds to be professionally managed and only used for the right reason. You’ll want them managed in line with real estate legislation. In the ACT this is the Agents Act 2003, which requires all real estate trust accounts to be audited.
In choosing someone to manage a trust account, choose an accountant with experience in the real estate industry. That’s because there’s a lot involved. This includes reconciling daily, meeting deadlines for making payments, managing interest and reporting.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a real estate trust accountant, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great real estate trust accountant?
Choosing the right real estate trust accountant reassures you that money is properly managed, in line with legislation. Choosing an accountant with proven experience in real estate is a great start.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a real estate trust accountant.
- Qualifications. Accountants must be qualified to handle trust accounts. They must follow the law and professional and ethical standards. Ask if your real estate trust accountant belongs to a professional body. This could be Certified Practicing Accountants Australia, Institute of Public Accountants and Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand.
- Knowledge. Check if your trust accountant has specific knowledge of real estate. Ask how many they manage. Also ask about their years of experience with real estate.
- Availability. Talk to your real estate trust accountant about their availability to handle your work. The last thing you want is one too busy to return your emails or phone calls promptly.
- Track record. Check your trust accountant’s website to see how long they’ve been in business. Also check for online reviews to see what others say about their track record. As mentioned earlier, check to see if they have specific real estate experience.
- Fees. Have an open discussion with your trust accountant to find out how they charge and what for. Also ask about special fee requirements.
The best real estate trust accountants in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Completely Taylored, established in 2016, offers professional trust accounting services. This includes specialised real estate trust accounts. Director Courtney Milne has more than 11 years of experience in accounting, administration, business development and real estate.
Completely Taylored handles all trust accounts in line with legislation. Work includes daily trust account bank reconciliations, mid and end of month processing and payouts, and end-of-month reporting. Clients receive efficient, effective services. They also receive informed, reliable advice
With real estate trust accounts, Completely Taylored is unique. In her previous career, Courtney was an award-winning real estate agent, working across all facets of the industry. Completely Taylored is trusted by some of Canberra’s top real estate brands as a result.
On Facebook, Pamela Gonzalez wrote, “Completely Taylored has a great team. From working with real estate agencies, childcare centres, or other small businesses, they have it covered … Highly recommend.”
Your experience with real estate trust accountants in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the trust accountants listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.