Whether you are renovating in Garran, downsizing in Hughes, or ending your lease in Barton chances are that you are swiftly running out of space.
From time to time we all find ourselves in need of a little more wiggle room. If you have outgrown your existing space, recently decluttered, or just need somewhere safe to keep all that sporting gear, a storage facility could be just what you need.
Self-storage facilities provide a secure, convenient, and economical means to keep your prized possessions safe. But with so many options in a myriad of locations around the ACT how does one select the right facility?
Whether you have but a few boxes of office records or an entire 5-bedroom house finding the right storage facility in Canberra is key. Thankfully, we have curated a shortlist of the best Canberra storage facilities to make your life just that little bit easier.
What makes a great storage facility?
The best storage facilities offer privacy, flexibility, security, and convenience. When looking for a storage facility in Canberra we suggest considering the following:
- Multifaceted security. The best storage facilities apply several layers of security to ensure the well keeping of your valuables. Look for professional grade security features such as electrical fencing, CCTV systems, personal pin codes, unique lock and keys and back to base alarms on individual units. It would also help to understand how the facility is staffed, and how regularly security systems are checked.
- Contracts & insurance. When shortlisting your facility take the time to review the contract and all terms. Understand the extent of their liability when it comes to unforeseen events such as fire, theft, water damage or pest infestations. Some storage facilities offer insurance at an additional cost; or consult your existing insurer to see whether they can extend coverage to your items in storage. The best facilities will be members of the core industry body; the Self Storage Association of Australia. Membership indicates that rental contracts adhere to industry standards, offering the best legal protection.
- Ease of accessibility. When it comes to accessibility there are two things to keep in mind: location and ease of access. If stored items require frequent access, consider a facility located closer to your home or office. If your items are set-and-forget then it may pay to look further afield as rates could be cheaper. As for accessibility, look for those with extended hours over the full week and staff on hand if needed. Also consider whether the unit can be easily accessed within the complex. If you have numerous bulky items it may be worth paying a little more for a ground floor unit with vehicle access. Finally look for facilities that offer complimentary use of forklifts and trolleys to make moving easier!
- Flexible and specialist units. Storage needs are as unique as their holder and can change over time. Look for a facility that offers flexible spaces that can be freely changed as required. Also consider the items you wish to store and if they have specific requirements. Cars or boats will need large direct access units; while wine or art are best kept in those that are temperature and humidity controlled.
- Concierge services. Life can be busy and at times it pays to call on professionals to conduct the bulk of the move into storage for you. Good storage facilities will offer an array of concierge services manage aspects of, or the full move on your behalf. Be it end-to-end packing, transporting and unpacking, or just the handling of inbound or outbound deliveries; consider your needs and whether the facility can cater to them.
The best storage facilities in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
As part of the National Storage Group, National Storage Mitchell is at home with one of the largest storage providers in Australia. They offer tailored self-storage solutions with 24/7 access for individuals and businesses alike, including climate-controlled wine storage through to large scale vehicle storage for caravans and boats.
Additional services include packaging and vehicle hire to make moving in and out of storage a seamless experience, as well as insurance for peace of mind.
Tony Palmer had this to say about National Storage Mitchell on Google, “Rented one of the smaller spaces here and had no issues. Nice and secure with easy access.”
Since 2014 Box It has been providing the Canberra region with a hassle-free mobile storage alternative.
Their unique offering is centred on mobile self-storage; which involves the delivery of a storage container to the customer who is then responsible to packing it. Once packed, Box It collects the container and delivers it to the final location – be it a move or their storage facility.
Box It also offers commercial storage, document storage, moving and packing supplies.
Mitchell Whitelaw shared this review on Google, “Stored and moved our whole house with Box It. Their service was friendly and prompt and they went out of their way to organise a delivery time that suited us. A great service at a reasonable price.”
A family run business for over thirty-years The Lock Up Self Storage was Canberra’s first indoor high security storage facility providing safe, affordable, and secure storage options for both businesses and individuals.
With 7-day a week access and units across two levels, The Lock Up offers flexible sizes from small lockers to 54 cubic metre units capable of storing the contents of a large house. It is also offers drive through access store vehicles including cars and boats.
Carli Britton shared this great feedback Google, “Lovely staff. Great price. Easy access. Would highly recommend to everyone!”
If you’re looking for more information on storage facilities in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best removalists, the best van hire, and the best end of lease cleaners that Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with storage facilities in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the storage facilities listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.