Whether you’re renovating, building, downsizing or just running out of space, you’ll likely want a storage facility, for the short, medium or long term.
A secure and convenient self-storage facility can be an economical way to keep your possessions safe. They can give you peace of mind while protecting the “stuff” you need to store, whether that’s a few boxes of office records, a house of furniture, valuable artwork or a large vehicle.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a storage facility, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great storage facility?
Choosing the right storage facility, one that is secure, flexible and convenient, will take the stress out of keeping your possessions clean and safe.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a storage facility.
- Secure. The best storage facilities offer professional grade security features to keep your valuables safe. This can include electrical fencing, CCTV systems, personal pin codes, unique lock and keys, and back-to-base alarms on individual units. You’ll also want to find out how the facility is staffed, and how regularly security systems are checked.
- Clear contracts and insured. You’ll want a storage facility that has clear and concise contracts that are easy to understand. Read your contract carefully so you know what the storage facility is liable for and what you’re liable for. This includes unforeseen events such as fire, theft, water damage or pest infestations. You’ll also want a storage facility that has proper insurance.
- Accessible. Choose a storage facility that is accessible when you need it. This includes location and ease of access. If you need frequent access, you’ll likely want a storage facility close to your home or office. You may also need to access your goods seven days a week and after regular work hours.
- Cost and special requirements. You’ll want to pay a fair price for your storage facility, and won’t want to pay for space you don’t need. Also check for costs relating to special needs. Large items, like cars or boats, will need large direct access units. Wine or art are best kept in storage facilities with temperature and humidity control.
- Support services. If life is busy, and time precious, you may want support services from your storage facility. You might need help, for example, to pack, transport and unpack. You might also need a facility that can handle special needs like inbound or outbound deliveries. If you need special support services, make sure your storage facility can cater for them.
The best storage facilities in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
National Storage Mitchell offers tailored self-storage solutions with 24/7 access for individuals and businesses. This includes office items, climate-controlled wine storage and large-scale vehicle storage for caravans and boats. National Storage Mitchell also offers services like packaging and vehicle hire to make moving in and out of storage easy. They also offer insurance.
On Google, Tony Palmer wrote, “Rented one of the smaller spaces here and had no issues. Nice and secure with easy access.”
Since 2014, Box It has been providing a unique, hassle-free mobile storage solution. Box It delivers a storage container to a customer who then packs it. Once packed, Box It collects the container and delivers it to a final location. This can be a new residence or premise or the Box It storage facility. Box It also offers commercial storage, document storage, moving and packing supplies.
Mitchell Whitelaw wrote Google, “Stored and moved our whole house with Box It. Their service was friendly and prompt … a great service at a reasonable price.”
Spacey Storage Hume is a state-of-the-art, self-storage facility. Customers can access belongings from 6am to 9pm, seven days a week. Units are individually alarmed. CCTV cameras provide security over the entire Hume site. A wide variety of clean and secure storage unit sizes and types are available. Online rentals and bill pay make life quick and easy.
Cameron Coghill wrote on Google, “Best storage solution by far. New and clean facilities. Easy access …”
A family run business for more than 30 years, The Lock Up Self Storage is a high-security storage facility. It provides safe, affordable, and secure storage options for businesses and individuals, seven days a week and across two levels. Small lockers through to 54 cubic metre units are available. So too is drive-through access for storing large vehicles. The Lock Up Self Storage was Canberra’s first indoor self-storage facility.
On Google, Carli Britton wrote, “Lovely staff. Great price. Easy access.”
If you’re looking for more information on storage facilities in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best removalists, the best van hire, the best cleaners, the best end of lease cleaners and the best skin bin hire and rubbish removal that Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with storage facilities in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the storage facilities listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.