The responsible removal of bulk waste from your home or office can be challenging. You’ll need to consider many factors when choosing how to dispose of unwanted material that isn’t allowed for regular waste collection. This includes legal, regulatory, environmental and financial factors.
If you’re clearing your backyard or garage, moving house or renovating, you’ll understand the value of hiring a skip bin hire or rubbish removal company. This includes for general household waste, building materials or green matter. It can also include hazardous substances such as asbestos, oils or chemicals which need to be disposed of in line with environmental regulations.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a skip bin hire or rubbish removal company, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great skip bin or rubbish removal company?
Choosing the right skip bin hire or rubbish removal company can make disposing waste quick, easy, safe and cost-effective.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a skip bin hire or rubbish removal company.
- Wide range of skips. You’ll want to choose a company that has a range of skip bins. You may only need a small one for household material. Or you might need a large one for building or renovation waste, or landscaping waste. Choosing a company with a range of size options, at different price points, means you’ll only pay for what you need.
- Competitive pricing. Checking price plans on skip bin or rubbish removal company websites. Comparing costs will help you find a price that suits your budget.
- Availability, delivery and pickup. Choose a company with a skip bin ready to be delivered when you need it. Bear in mind that skips are in hot demand and you may need to wait a few days. You’ll also want peace of mind by choosing a company that will collect your rubbish on time. This can be important if you’re moving house or renovating against a tight schedule.
- Hidden costs. Make sure you know what you can dispose of and how much so you don’t get dinged with extra costs. Some skip bin hire or rubbish removal companies charge extra for materials such as concrete, toxic substances and car tyres. Others have strict weight allowances. If you exceed these, you may have to pay extra.
- Responsible practices. It’s important to choose a skip bin hire or rubbish removal company that disposes of waste responsibly. This is one that adheres to laws and regulations for removing and treating waste. Selecting an ethical local business that is environmentally responsible is the way to go.
The best skip bin hire and rubbish removal companies in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
ACT Rubbish Removals has been servicing Canberra and surrounds for more than 10 years. The company helps with domestic or household rubbish, office or commercial rubbish, and nursing home-related jobs. It also helps with garden or green waste and construction and renovation waste.
On Google, Sonya Mac wrote, “I highly recommend Act Rubbish Removals. I cannot fault their service. They were on time, courteous and extremely helpful. They removed a very heavy treadmill down 13 stairs with no problem.”
Locally owned, Brindabella Waste provides household, commercial, body corporate and event waste and recycling solutions. They specialise in trash paks, bins and rubbish removal with a strong recycling and environmentally friendly focus. They handle general household waste, whitegoods, e-waste, furniture, mattresses and green waste. Other services including gardening, tree surgery and gutter cleaning.
Bernadette Van Graan wrote on Facebook, “I’ve been a customer for nearly 10 years and plan to be for many years to come.”
An environmentally friendly company, Budget Bins handles residential, commercial and industrial waste sustainably and professionally. No rubbish removal job is too big or small. Budget Bins has 200 skip bins in sizes ranging from 2.5 to 10 cubic metres. They offer same-day drop-off and collection service.
France Meyer wrote on Google, “Just got a skip from this company and the service was excellent. Friendly advice, immediate delivery (on a Saturday!) … the skip was removed as soon as it was full.”
ACT Skip Hire is one of the longest running services of its kind in Canberra. The business guarantees great prices and quality service, to help clients during a spring clean, house move, house clearance, home renovation or garden makeover. Waste is recovered or recycled. Open top bins up to 10 cubic meters are available. Some bins have opening ends.
Melanie Glover wrote on Google, “A great local business. Friendly drivers and office staff. Prompt delivery and pick up, prices very good.”
Locally owned and operated, Cut Price Skips is one of the leading skip bin hire companies serving Canberra and Queanbeyan. With 14 years’ of waste removal experience, they offer top service, expertise and very competitive pricing. In addition to their skips that range between 2-9 cubic metres, they offer trash paks for residential and commercial customers regularly wishing to dispose of green waste and other light materials. A trash pak can be set up on your property and the Cut Price team will service it every four weeks.
Troy wrote on Google, “I am very happy with the service of skips provided by the Cut Price Skips team. Always recommended. Keep up the good job. Will hire them again when required.”
If you’re looking for more information on big clean up jobs in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best landscapers, best gardening services, best builders and renovators and the best storage facilities Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with skip bin hire and rubbish removal companies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with any of the skip bin hire or rubbish removal companies listed above? If so, share your experience in the comments section below.