The responsible removal of bulk waste from a residential property can be a challenging process. There are many legal, regulatory, environmental and financial factors to consider when choosing how to dispose of unwanted material that is either too large for regular curbside waste collection or comprises prohibited matter.
If you are simply clearing your backyard or garage, moving house or undertaking home renovations, hiring a skip bin or organising a professional company to arrange the safe disposal of materials is often the most practical solution.
Within the Canberra region, there are many companies that specialise in effective rubbish removal, catering for whatever items need to go. Whether it be general household waste, building materials, green matter, or hazardous substances such as asbestos, oils or chemicals, your requirements can be met in cost-effective ways that adhere to environmental regulations.
We asked our readers from Canberra and the surrounding region to share their experiences with leading skip bin hire and rubbish removal companies. Below, you will find a recommended list of reputable business that can cater to your bulk waste needs. If you are not sure what you are looking for, the following checklist should help you decide which trustworthy waste-removal professional is for you.
What to look for when hiring a skip bin
- A wide range of skips. Everyone’s waste needs are different so it is important to choose a waste removal company that boasts a full range of skip bins. You may only require a small bin for household material, whereas someone else might be undertaking major building or renovation work, or landscaping. Choosing a company that has a large range of options, each at different price points, might be best as they can make suggestions on the skip size that best meets your requirements – that way you only pay for space you actually need.
- Competitive pricing. There are many dependable waste removal companies throughout the ACT so finding one that will provide what you need for a reasonable price should be the easy part. Most skip bin and rubbish removal companies provide pricing plans on their website. It’s worth shopping around to find a skip that falls within your budget.
- Reliable delivery and pickup. Knowing you can rely on the skip to arrive and then be collected on scheduled days gives you peace of mind when beginning a large-scale renovation project, purging unwanted goods or simply moving house. If you’re on a tight schedule, you want assurance that your skip will be there from the time you are paying for it.
- Hidden costs: Make sure you know exactly what you can place in your skip bin. Some companies may charge extra for materials such as concrete, toxic substances and car tyres.
- Generous weight allowances. Most waste disposal companies have weight allowances on their skips. It is pretty standard for costs to be incurred for exceeding these limits so make sure you know what your limit is and how much you will be charged if you exceed it. Some companies offer no-weight flat rates so shop around for one of these if you are anticipating a heavy load.
- Availability. Believe it or not, skips can be hot, in-demand items. Sometimes you might have to wait a couple of weeks for a skip in a particular size to become available. But waiting isn’t always an option so if you need one yesterday, you need to find a company with skips available right now.
- Responsible practices. Adherence to strict laws and regulations regarding the removal and treatment of waste material is crucial to ensure you are dealing with an ethical local business that values its environmental responsibility.
Agree with our list? If you’d like to add something, share your thoughts in the comments area.
The best skip bin hire companies in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of onsite comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook, as well as maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Locally owned and operated, That guy with a Ute is one of Canberra’s friendliest rubbish removal solutions – with the added benefit of someone who can give you a hand to load the waste.
For any job needing a ute in Canberra and surrounding areas, including pickups, deliveries, rubbish/green waste removal, or anything else requiring a ute or trailer, give Jesse a call for a fast, friendly quote.
As satisfied customer Lindsay Maree says on Facebook, “Very reasonable price, super helpful and a nice bloke. Will definitely use his service again.”
Locally owned, Brindabella Waste provides household, commercial, body corporate and event waste and recycling solutions. They specialise in trash paks, bins and rubbish removal with a strong recycling and environmentally friendly focus. They handle general household waste, whitegoods, e-waste, furniture, mattresses and green waste. They also offer a range of other services including gardening, tree surgery and gutter cleaning.
Bernadette Van Graan wrote on Facebook, “Fantastic service! I have been a customer for nearly 10 years and plan to be with them for many years to come.”
Locally owned and operated, Cut Price Skips is one of the leading skip bin hire companies serving Canberra and Queanbeyan. With 14 years’ of waste removal experience, they offer top service, expertise and very competitive pricing. In addition to their skips that range between 2-9 cubic metres, they offer trash paks for residential and commercial customers regularly wishing to dispose of green waste and other light materials. A trash pak can be set up on your property and the Cut Price team will service it every four weeks.
Troy wrote on Google, “I am very happy with the service of skips provided by the Cut Price Skips team. Always recommended. Keep up the good job. Will hire them again when required.”
Established in 1978, Tom’s Trash Paks has been servicing the Canberra community’s waste needs for more than 40 years. A local business with a fine reputation for quality and reliability, it boasts experience when it comes to servicing the ACT’s homes, businesses and commercial spaces. You can hire a trash pack for light, dry rubbish material and green waste and it will be collected and replaced every four weeks. They can also arrange the removal of whitegoods, furniture, e-waste and miscellaneous items.
Covering all of Canberra, as well as Queanbeyan, Murrumbateman and Yass, ACT Rubbish specialises in residential, commercial and green waste removal. If you don’t wish to hire a skip bin, they are the guys for you because they do the removal for you. They deliver reliable service in handling domestic waste, including mattresses, furniture and electronic goods, as well as office and commercial rubbish, and heavy duty building and renovation materials. The team also specialises in assisting moves to retirement homes and villas by taking care of unwanted items and donating them to charity or disposing of them.
Satisfied customer, Becc Waterson, wrote on Google, “Highly recommend this business. They were prompt and efficient in response to my query, turned up when they said they would, and the cost was very reasonable for the amount of rubbish that was removed from our premises.”
Servicing Canberra since 2004, A1 Bins provide a safe and reliable means of disposing unwanted materials. With skip bins ranging from 2-10 cubic metres available for hire throughout Canberra and in Queanbeyan, Murrumbateman, Bungendore and Royalla, they are suitable for domestic and commercial use, as well as for large-scale events. They can also provide specialist hazardous materials removal, including asbestos.
As one of Canberra’s most environmentally friendly companies, Budget Bins ensures your residential, commercial and industrial waste is handled sustainably and professionally. Whether your rubbish removal job is big or small, they have a supply of 200 skip bins to suit residential, commercial, industrial and green waste with sizes ranging from 2.5-10 cubic metres. They also offer same-day drop-off and collection, and boast a five-star rating on Google customer reviews.
Customer France Meyer wrote on Google, “Just got a skip from this company and the service was excellent. Friendly advice, immediate delivery (on a Saturday!) and the driver was very careful not to damage the street trees on the verge when positioning the skip. Also, the skip was removed as soon as it was full. The pricing was very good too and extremely competitive. I fully recommend this business, it’s such a relief to see that outstanding service is alive and well in Canberra.”
Once you have finished clearing out all the junk, if you are looking for storage solutions for short term or long term storage you may also like to check out our list of the best storage facilities in Canberra.
Your experience with skip bin hire companies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with any of the skip bin hire companies listed above? If so, share your experience in the comments section below.