Buying a BBQ in Canberra?

Holden Caulfield 20 January 2012 35

A quick and hopefully easy question for Rioters. I’m after tips on the best place to buy a BBQ in Canberra. So far my travels have taken me to Barbecues Galore, Burning Log, Harvey Norman, Domayne and Bunnings (all in Fyshwick).

The first two specialist stores have been quite good and I will probably end up buying from them. However, internet research indicates there are heaps of products around but in-store research hasn’t backed that up. I was a little surprised by the lack of products on display at HN and Domayne. Even Bunnings didn’t have a lot.

There must be more than two decent BBQ retailers in Canberra.

35 Responses to Buying a BBQ in Canberra?
rosscoact rosscoact 3:17 pm 20 Jan 12

tommy said :

If you can somehow get one from the US, they are heaps cheaper over there (about half the price)…

That’s true but doesn’t work for propane as they have different fittings and changing them over is extraordinarily difficult. I bought a smoker cabinet from the states and ended up ditching the whole burner assembly and installing a wok burner which is a good deal for Canmberra winters.

It still ended up cheaper thank local though.

tommy tommy 1:10 pm 20 Jan 12

We got our Weber Genesis Gold from Burning Log. The pricing seems to be set by Weber themselves as I haven’t seen much variation in pricing in Australia. It’s been really good as a product though.

niknak niknak 12:53 pm 20 Jan 12

We recently bought our Weber Q200 from BBQs Galore in Fyshwick to replace our old KMart Jackeroo.

Very happy with it indeed.

The only minus was getting the hard sell from the BBQs Galore guy for a brand we’d never heard of and didn’t want. Heaps better than the Weber, apparently. Was a bit upset when we insisted on the Weber.

dtc dtc 12:49 pm 20 Jan 12

If you do buy a Webber keep in mind that the method of cooking (top down) is very different to the usual BBQ. In particular things cook MUCH more quickly and the first few steaks will probably over cooked (unless that is just me…). Also they need cleaning more often as they dont use ‘hot rocks’.

My previous BBQ was a Beefmeaster and it lasted 15 years outside with no maintenance, until various parts started to rust and replacements cost more than the BBQ.

Keep in mind a marketing trick very prevalent amongst BBQ manufacturers. They make high end ones with everything and then some, dials and knobs and turning bits and side burners, not because they expect you will pay $2000+ for a BBQ but because you will then look at their $400 version and believe you are missing out of lots of essentials. You then look at their $800 – $1500 version and go for that. Of course, 95% of the time you just need a hot flame and a hot grill (or hotplate), and the cheapest models usually do that just as well as the mid/upper level models (give or take a roast, in which case you need a hood and a thermostat).

So consider carefully your actual needs and dont get seduced (too much…). My biggest tip is to look at the coverage provided by the burners – many burners heat up say 15cm directly above them, but that can results in cool spots in between the burners as they are 20cm apart (which may or may not be useful to you)

I’m personally not convinced about side burners – does anyone actually use them? (well, if you have an electric stove I can see the benefit, but if you have a gas stove then I dont see the benefit)

EvanJames EvanJames 12:48 pm 20 Jan 12

Be wary of the cheaper gas barbies from Bunnings/Magnet Mart et al. They work fine, right until the salt and fat in the food rots the metal of burner assemblies. I’m not sure how you ensure you get one that doesn’t do this, I guess buying from a proper BBQ shop and keeping your receipt just in case. Or talking to the sales guy and seeing if he knows about it. It’s bloody annoying!

Costco had a fantastic range of barbeques at the start of the warm season, from a Kamado Egg through the smaller gas ones right up to a full outdoor kitchen with a sink, but they’re letting the summer range dwindle before they bring in their next range of “seasonal items”.

Fluges Fluges 12:42 pm 20 Jan 12

get a 4-burner Jumbuck from Bunnings for $147. Can’t go wrong.

allyroger allyroger 12:05 pm 20 Jan 12

rosscoact said :

Weber is the best on the market and their aftersales service is legendary. I have a charcoal portable which has to be 30 years old and still churns out the best gai yang this side of the south china sea. The shop near the ONA coffee shop, BBQ galore? stocks weber IIRC.

Even a $400 Q220 will cook better and last longer than a chinese made Bunnings, Aldi etc knockoff. You can get a gas E320 with 25 year warranty for $1500.

No affilliation, just a happy customer.

+1 for the Weber. Wifes family has 3 or 4 of them and 1 is still going from 30 years ago, actually might be better than my newer one. Burning Log have some decent knowledge, questionable pricing though. You can get smoker boxes and a pile of accessories for the weber gas grills too. Did some amazing ribs last weekend!

KB1971 KB1971 11:54 am 20 Jan 12

mp2615 said :

I bought a 4 burner, hooded, on a wooden trolley from the shed at Mitchell. Tightened the frame, clean, fit a gas bottle and away you go. noice. $30. I have a charcoal weber, great for roasts and smoking but it’s hard to beat gas for convenience, until the gas runs out. Is it just me or does anyone else think that cooking bbq on stainless steel is not as good as on cast iron ?

Yep, I do. The Beefeater ones look all nice & shiny in the showroom but they will soon get crappy if not looked after (not worth it IMO). The stainless transfers the heat faster which means that while it heats quicker it cools quicker & the heat is less stable.

I went with the coated cast iron & they work a treat. I can cook a whole fillet on the low setting or I can frazzle the crap out of a marinated minute steak.

I also looked at the expensive barbies with the minsdet on getting a good quality one & then settled on the Red Centre one for under $500. It will at least last me 10 years & if it is buggered by then well I still have some money left to go & buy another but with my experience with the Jackeroo I think it will last longer than that.

rosscoact rosscoact 11:50 am 20 Jan 12

No affilliation, just a happy customer.

Mess Mess 11:35 am 20 Jan 12

MightyJoe said :

+1. Bought one from Aldi about 4 years ago for $200, 4 burner with a hood, still going strong.

mp2615 mp2615 11:24 am 20 Jan 12

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:21 am 20 Jan 12

KB1971 said :

1. What are you after?
2. Much do you want to spend?

1. Gas all-rounder, nothing too specific just yet
2. $1000-1500 seems to be the going rate for something that will last a good while

johnboy johnboy 11:12 am 20 Jan 12

Jivrashia said :

BROFIST.jpg

Was brought up on a Webber that ran on charcoal beads.

These days BBQs are either fuelled by propane, or has such a shoddy frame that you wouldn’t trust lighting a candle on it.

But what really irritates me are people who don’t know how things cook differently between a gas BBQ and a charcoal BBQ. (hint: water molecule produced in burning of propane gas causes food to be partially steamed)

My parents’ webber is still going strong after 25 years, but you can’t find similar fine sturdy BBQ these days. I have looked in BBQ’s galore but none of them appeared to be as good as when they built them back then.

I bought a little weber smokey joe a couple of years ago I’ve been very happy with.

Before that I had cast iron hibachis of varying design, they wear out but for $40 a couple of years isn’t a bad run.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:04 am 20 Jan 12

Thanks for the replies so far. Should have mentioned I’m after a gas BBQ at this stage.

KB1971 KB1971 10:59 am 20 Jan 12

If you are after a gas BBQ, have a look at the Red Centre range at Rodneys at Pialligo: http://www.redcentrebbq.com.au/ProductList.aspx

Mine is a cracker & pretty efficient on gas.

What are you after?
Much do you want to spend?

I bought a Jackeroo from K Mart 15 years ago for my parents & its still going stong, good value for money.

Also, scope your local Aldi. They had them before Xmas & of all the people that I have spoken to that have one they are extremely happy with them. Last time I looked the Aldi in Lanyon had one.

In the BBQ world there are a lot of people who say you need nothing less than a Weber (I have a charcoal one but dont use it for steaks) when there are a lot of cheaper stuff out there that will do the job just nicely.

Also, look at Magnet Mart & Bunnings. bunnings have a huge range.

Jivrashia Jivrashia 10:59 am 20 Jan 12

johnboy said :

as a coal guy

BROFIST.jpg

Was brought up on a Webber that ran on charcoal beads.

NoImRight NoImRight 10:56 am 20 Jan 12

Rays Outdoors in Fyshwick has a reasonable range.Become a VIP and get 6.5% off. No idea if their pricing is any good as I havent been shopping for one recently. Bunnings at Tuggers have a fair number on display too. I havent been back to BBQs Galore since I went in there to get a gas bottle filled but instead got a lecture about them being too busy for small stuff like that and I should go to the servo.

Peptis Peptis 10:45 am 20 Jan 12

You need to do your research before buying a BBQ as a lot of BBQs look the same, have the same features (number of burners, etc…), but they cook entirely differently.

If you’re looking at gas, I can recommend the Beef Eater brand, they can get very hot on full gas, so you can get a really good char on your food. Most of the other gas BBQs I’ve used you always turn them on to the maximum setting as they just don’t get hot enough, with my Beef Eater I normally use about 50–75%.

If you’re looking at coal, it’s pretty hard to go past a Kamado Joe (or similar ceramic egg-shaped thingy). They are very versatile and have a wide range of temperatures that can be achieved (I’ve set mine to between 80–550 C). This means that you can smoke, roast, grill and even do pizzas on them. Expensive, but really good.

johnboy johnboy 10:39 am 20 Jan 12

Personally I’ve found BBQ’s galore to have the best range *but* as a coal guy they don’t stock a lot of things I wish they would.

MightyJoe MightyJoe 10:28 am 20 Jan 12

Aldi. I bought mine there and it was easier to put together than my previous one and is waaay better in terms of quality. My last one was bought at Rays in DFO and was more expensive that the Aldi one.