Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Ask RiotACT

Charity and fundraising auctions for the Canberra community

Buying a litre of milk in Canberra?

By Pork Hunt - 21 January 2012 40

A quick and hopefully easy question for Rioters.

I’m after tips on the best place to buy a litre of milk in Canberra. So far my travels have taken me Woolworths, Coles, IGA, Aldi, Supabarn and the local takeaway.

The first two specialist stores have been quite good and I will probably end up buying from them.

However, internet research indicates there are heaps of products around but in-store research hasn’t backed that up.

I was a little surprised by the lack of products on display at Aldi and the takeaway.

Even IGA didn’t have a lot.

There must be more than two decent milk retailers in Canberra.

What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
40 Responses to
Buying a litre of milk in Canberra?
Filter
Showing only Website comments
Order
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
pirate_taco 9:15 pm 24 May 13

I started buying Country Valley milk from the EPIC Farmers Market, but they got kicked out for not being a single producer (I think they process milk from nearby farms too).
So now I buy it from the Spence Grocer instead @ $4.40 for 2L. I think they have 1L bottles too.
Similar price to branded “premium” milks marketed by the massive milk conglomerates, and the farmer makes more money too.
If that isn’t available, I’ll go Canberra Milk Gold (only comes in 1L cartons @ ~$2.00), and if that isn’t available I’ll go the cheapest generic milk.

If you care about organic, look for Highlands Organic, but I’m not sure where they are other than EPIC.

miz 6:57 pm 24 May 13

Get your Canberra Milk (any varieties) delivered to your home twice a week by your local milk
(permeate free) – go to contact us and ring the orders number http://www.ccfa.com.au

bundah 6:34 pm 24 May 13

Pork Hunt said :

Wonder if Canberra Milk will have “Skywhale Milk” anytime soon…?

I’ll drink to that!

Pork Hunt 6:14 pm 24 May 13

Wonder if Canberra Milk will have “Skywhale Milk” anytime soon…?

bethybobs 10:49 pm 31 Jan 12

But it from the farmers market.

Jethro 10:47 am 23 Jan 12

rbw said :

More trolling required in this thread.

Humans are the only species on the planet that does two things:
1. Continues to drink milk after they’ve been weened.
2. Drinks the milk of a another species.

When is it finally going to be considered no longer manly to still be sucking at the cows teet?

That’s the best way to drink milk… straight from the udder.

Of course the fat-cat bureaucrats in Canberra have put up so much red tape that my fantasies of suckling on the unpasteurised juice of a cow’s breasts are unable to come true.

poetix 10:01 am 23 Jan 12

Suck it up princesses.

(Comment sponsored by Canberra Milk.)

watto23 9:13 am 23 Jan 12

On a slightlty different note I’ve noticed my local woolies seems to have plenty of home brand milk available all the time, yet the other brands seem to always run out of stock, even though they cost more.
Those cynics among us would think this is done deliberately.

p1 8:58 am 23 Jan 12

rbw said :

KeenGolfer said :

miz said :

Waiting for Godot, you are wrong about ‘full cream’ milk. ‘Full cream’ is still only 4% fat, which is very low, given that ‘low fat’ is defined as 3% fat.

IMO that’s very misleading. Milk is about 88.5% water and of the remaining 11.5% it’s 3.4% fat. So in reality it’s about 30% fat and if taken by caloric value it’s about 47% fat (figures from Woolies whole milk).

Having said that I drink a litre of the lower fat white stuff every day.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are omitted Milks largest ingredients: blood and pus.

200 million pus cells per liter is considered ‘normal’ and ‘safe’ and ‘acceptable’.

Yummy!

Actually, that figure is not ‘puss cells’ but just cells from he cow, and while used as an indicator of the health of the animal, does not mean what you are suggesting. And the they pasteurize the milk.

stonedwookie 12:04 am 23 Jan 12

Try supabarn it has pauls farmhouse gold 1l extra cream milk or 711 also has diffrent 1 litre milks

Holden Caulfield 11:31 pm 22 Jan 12

Keep at it PH, you’ll have made your own Gentleman’s Milk in no time. 😛

rbw 8:06 pm 22 Jan 12

KeenGolfer said :

miz said :

Waiting for Godot, you are wrong about ‘full cream’ milk. ‘Full cream’ is still only 4% fat, which is very low, given that ‘low fat’ is defined as 3% fat.

IMO that’s very misleading. Milk is about 88.5% water and of the remaining 11.5% it’s 3.4% fat. So in reality it’s about 30% fat and if taken by caloric value it’s about 47% fat (figures from Woolies whole milk).

Having said that I drink a litre of the lower fat white stuff every day.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are omitted Milks largest ingredients: blood and pus.

200 million pus cells per liter is considered ‘normal’ and ‘safe’ and ‘acceptable’.

Yummy!

rbw 8:02 pm 22 Jan 12

More trolling required in this thread.

Humans are the only species on the planet that does two things:
1. Continues to drink milk after they’ve been weened.
2. Drinks the milk of a another species.

When is it finally going to be considered no longer manly to still be sucking at the cows teet?

KeenGolfer 7:42 pm 22 Jan 12

miz said :

Waiting for Godot, you are wrong about ‘full cream’ milk. ‘Full cream’ is still only 4% fat, which is very low, given that ‘low fat’ is defined as 3% fat.

IMO that’s very misleading. Milk is about 88.5% water and of the remaining 11.5% it’s 3.4% fat. So in reality it’s about 30% fat and if taken by caloric value it’s about 47% fat (figures from Woolies whole milk).

Having said that I drink a litre of the lower fat white stuff every day.

milkman 7:27 pm 22 Jan 12

Waiting For Godot said :

…gives you wind and diarreah.

Yeah but what if I want these things?

I-filed 5:21 pm 22 Jan 12

troll-sniffer said :

Jethro said :

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the time milk from Woolies at Kippax is slightly off? It’s like it has been left out on the back dock for a bit too long – not lumpy or sour, but just a bit of a funny taste. It has been across brands, so I would assume it’s coming from the store, not the producers.

More often than not it’s symptomatic of milk that has been left in the sun. Direct sunlight somehow affects the proteins within giving the milk an off taste. Not everyone seems to be able to taste the change however. Whether indirect sunlight has any affect I don’t know. You could speak to store manager and get him or her to review the supply chain from the warehouse.

Certain grasses and feeds can taint cow’s milk too …

troll-sniffer 11:12 am 22 Jan 12

Jethro said :

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the time milk from Woolies at Kippax is slightly off? It’s like it has been left out on the back dock for a bit too long – not lumpy or sour, but just a bit of a funny taste. It has been across brands, so I would assume it’s coming from the store, not the producers.

More often than not it’s symptomatic of milk that has been left in the sun. Direct sunlight somehow affects the proteins within giving the milk an off taste. Not everyone seems to be able to taste the change however. Whether indirect sunlight has any affect I don’t know. You could speak to store manager and get him or her to review the supply chain from the warehouse.

JC 9:15 am 22 Jan 12

Jethro said :

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the time milk from Woolies at Kippax is slightly off? It’s like it has been left out on the back dock for a bit too long – not lumpy or sour, but just a bit of a funny taste. It has been across brands, so I would assume it’s coming from the store, not the producers.

That’s my local and never ever noticed it.

JC 9:14 am 22 Jan 12

2600 said :

Just go to a Milk Bar

…hang on! Canberra doesn’t have any.

We have a lot of wog shops though. When I was growing up they seemed to stock milk, and even made milk shakes. Guess though in this day and age the term wog shop is maybe a little politically incorrect though.

miz 9:17 pm 21 Jan 12

Waiting for Godot, you are wrong about ‘full cream’ milk. ‘Full cream’ is still only 4% fat, which is very low, given that ‘low fat’ is defined as 3% fat. Full cream milk is only full cream in the sense that it contains the natural proportion of fat found in nature, as opposed to milk that has been processed to change that.
Also, I understand that calcium absorption is better when some fat is present in the milk. Can’t find a link for this though.
I personally try to eat things as close to their natural form as possible. Besides, full cream milk is yummy!

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site