This in from Andrew Barr’s office for some centenary events next year
I am pleased to announce that in October next year Canberra will host a netball test match between Australia and New Zealand.
It will be the first time that the two teams have played each other in Canberra, and the match makes a great addition to the already impressive line up of elite sporting events taking place in the Capital throughout our Centenary year.
This morning I joined the Australian Diamonds coach, Lisa Alexander, and upcoming Diamonds player Chanel Gomes to announce the test match, which will be played at the Australian Institute of Sport Arena. The exact date of the match is still to be confirmed.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
The Australian netball team has played in Canberra before, most recently in October 2011 when the Diamonds played the United Kingdom. Australia has never played New Zealand here before – and with this being the biggest rivalry in world netball it will be a great chance for local fans to see some of the sport’s best players in action. The ACT Government will also broadcast the test to a fan site that will be set up adjacent to the AIS Arena, so even more fans can watch the match live.
Next year is clearly the biggest year in sport that Canberra has ever seen. Other sporting events to take place throughout 2013 include:
• The Women’s Australian Open at Royal Canberra Golf Club in February;
• A one-day international at Manuka Oval between the Australian cricket team and the West Indies in February – this will be the first time Australia has played in Canberra;
• The National Capital Rally, which will hit the streets of Canberra and surrounds in March;
• A rugby league test between Australia and New Zealand at Canberra Stadium in April – it will be the first time the Kangaroos have played in Canberra; and
• The British and Irish Lions match against the ACT Brumbies at Canberra Stadium in June.
I would like to thank Netball Australia for their support in securing the test match for Canberra. It will be another key sporting event for our Centenary year, and will again focus attention on Canberra as Australia’s sporting capital and as a great place to visit.
Media contacts: Daniel Landon 0434 668 495 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracey Pulli 0401 123 140 email@example.com