If you’re like most homeowners, chances are you put a lot of effort into keeping everything – from appliances to door hinges – in good working order.
But how often do you pay attention to your plumbing? While it’s one of the most important systems to maintain, it’s also frequently often overlooked. At least until your toilet stops working properly, that is.
If your toilet is blocked, leaking, doesn’t flush or is damaged in some other way, you’ll need a fast, effective and affordable toilet repair service.
To help you with your search for the best toilet repair services in the Canberra region, we’ve asked locals to share their go-to plumbers. Let’s get your toilet back in business ASAP.
Signs you might need your toilet replaced
Not sure if you need a full toilet replacement, or just a simple repair? While a plumber will be able to provide expert advice, warning signs that you might need to replace the toilet include:
- A frequently clogged toilet (more than once a week). Clogged toilets are relatively common, but random or recurring clogs may indicate an issue. This is especially true if you have an old, low-flush toilet.
- Cracked porcelain. Puddles around your toilet might be caused by cracks in the bowl or cistern. While cracks might not affect flushing, constant water exposure can damage flooring, as well as encourage the growth of mould and mildew. If you see cracks, it’s time to replace your toilet right away.
- Frequent repairs. If you have so many toilet issues that your plumber is on speed dial, it’s usually cheaper to just get a new toilet. The same is true for toilets that need multiple repairs all at once.
- It wobbles. If your toilet wobbles, it might just be because of loose screws. But it can also signify a bigger problem like rotting or water damaged floors. Call a professional to get it checked out and be on the safe side.
- Inefficient flushing. Older toilets and non-water saving toilets can use a lot of water. If you have a large family or are environmentally conscious, changing to a dual-flush toilet can reduce your water bills.
What makes a good toilet repair plumber?
We recommend keeping the following traits in mind when choosing a toilet repair plumber.
- Promptness. Broken toilets need to be fixed as soon as possible, so you might want to consider hiring a plumber who offers emergency or same-day service. The plumber should arrive on time and ready to work.
- Effective communication. You shouldn’t need a plumbing qualification to understand what your plumber is talking about. A great plumber is willing to discuss the job at a level you can understand.
- Transparent pricing. Your plumber should be upfront with you about how much things will cost. Quotes and invoices should be transparent, with no unexpected fees or charges.
- Quality parts and products. While using cheaper parts will save money in the short term, they generally don’t last as long and will need to be replaced sooner. For longevity and real value for money, look for a plumber that uses the best part or product for the job – not the one that costs the least.
- Appropriate licences and insurances. In the ACT, all plumbers need to be licensed and meet eligibility requirements (such as having completed a relevant qualification). Double check that your chosen plumber is licensed and has current public and products liability insurance to protect you if work doesn’t go to plan.
The top toilet repair specialists in Canberra – according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
It’s now time to introduce the top toilet repair services in Canberra and surrounding suburbs.
Founded in 2010 by Tom Martin, Water Tight Canberra fixes toilets and plumbing throughout the Canberra region. Available 24/7, customers appreciate Water Tight Canberra’s punctuality, commitment to customer service and honest advice. As a national 2019 Telstra Business Award winner, Water Tight Canberra has a glowing reputation for delivering outstanding plumbing services – including repairing leaky toilets – in the ACT and region.
Water Tight offers a series of guarantees, including a cleanliness guarantee (if the work area isn’t clean when they leave, they’ll pay to have it professionally cleaned) and an on time guarantee (if they are more than ten minutes late, they’ll waive the call-out fee).
Water Tight’s ongoing commitment to social and environmentally conscious practices re-engineering the plumbing industry was recognised at the 2019 Telstra Business Awards, where it was named Australia’s top small and succeeding business.
Google reviewer Heather said: “Excellent and professional service. They were actually early and went the extra mile to sort a difficult job. I will use these guys again and would definitely recommend to others.”
ACT licenced plumber: 2017441
If your toilet won’t flush, has sprung a leak or needs to be replaced, give O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service (ONBPS) a call. Available 24/7, ONBPS’ after hours technicians are located all over Canberra, so if it’s an emergency you won’t need to wait 40 minutes for a plumber to travel to the other side of town.
If you call outside of business hours, the technician will try to diagnose and solve the problem over the phone so that, if possible, the visit can wait until morning and you can avoid an after hours fee.
ONBPS prides itself on strong workmanship, use of high quality genuine parts and products and extensive employee training. ONBPS ensures that every job meets its customers’ high standards. All plumbers are employed by the company – it does not hire contractors.
In addition, ONBPS provides internal training to set expectations for attention to detail and treating customers’ homes as their own. Every job is photographed, and time-stamped photos are sent to head office to ensure work meets stringent quality requirements.
ONBPS customers appreciate regular communication (including advance notice of delays), that work is explained before it begins, and that plumbers keep the work site neat and tidy.
ACT licenced plumber: 2005108
Eveready Plumbing is a locally owned and operated plumbing business with over 25 years of experience. Its 24-hour emergency service – ideal for malfunctioning toilets – is fast and efficient, and available throughout the Canberra region.
Eveready Plumbing provides a written guarantee for every job, so you can be confident that your plumber is qualified and completes their work to the highest standard.
Satisfied customer Daniel shared their experience with Eveready Plumbing on Google Reviews: “One of the best companies I have had the privilege to work with. Reliable, Reasonable and professional, could not rate Pete and the staff higher, fantastic.”
Canberra Plumbing and Drains is a local family-owned business that has been supplying the Canberra, Jerrabomberra, and Queanbeyan areas for over 15 years. Its plumbers can help with everything from toilet installations and toilet repairs to tap repairs. Expect quality workmanship and a high level of customer service.
Customer JC R shared their experience on Google Reviews: “From the initial call answering to the appointment booking and plumber’s visit, everything was done with utmost professionalism and commitment to customer satisfaction.”
Silva Plumbing Service is a family business founded in Canberra over a decade ago. Its 24/7 plumbing services (including its toilet repair services) are built on values including quality product, responsiveness, transparency, customer satisfaction and personal relationships.
Silva Plumbing Service’s team is friendly, well-presented and professional. As customer and Google reviewer Yvette explained, “Great Service, really genuine guy who was easy to communicate with, open and upfront about the cost and had some great tips. Will call on again for sure.”
Your experience with toilet repair specialists in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the plumbing companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.