The Australian Running Festival is coming up on 13 and 14 April here in the ACT, hosting a 5km, 10km, Half Marathon, Marathon and for the super keen, the Ultra Marathon. The Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS) is a registered charity with the Festival, which means people can register to run and make a donation to DVCS or take that extra step and commit to fundraise for DVCS.
Why would you run and fundraise for DVCS? Well, besides the obvious enjoyment of pounding the pavement around the Parliamentary triangle and exercise being good for you, there is the added bonus of supporting those in the ACT region experiencing family, domestic and intimate partner violence. All the money raised will help DVCS pay for things such as emergency accommodation, security upgrades, support groups and client well-being.
All runners who fundraise for DVCS also:
- Gain access to the DVCS marquee on the day, which includes chairs, fruit, water, lollipops and blankets;
- Are able to leave your gear in the DVCS marquee while you run (but please no pets or children);
- Receive an invitation to the DVCS Supporter Drinks in November;
- Are invited to be part of the exclusive DVCS Runners closed Facebook group to share training tips and ideas, keep each other motivated and create comradery;
- Hopefully have access to a physio on the day (yet to be confirmed);
- Will see DVCS supporters out on the track during your race, keeping you motivated;
- Receive an exclusive DVCS running singlet when you raise $500 or more; and
- The top fundraiser will receive two complimentary tickets to the DVCS Blue & White Gala Ball on 18 May 2019.
Last year, DVCS had over 15 registered runners who raised almost $15,000. This year DVCS hopes to have 25 runners who raise over $20,000. So far, there are 18 runners signed up who have collectively raised almost $3,000 with a little under three months to go until the gun goes off. Primary school children and young people are also welcome to join the DVCS team.
We’ve checked the team and can assure you there is a spot waiting just for you. And who wouldn’t want to be part of the greatest team that ever raced?
If running isn’t your thing but you still want to be part of this awesome team, you might like to walk, skip or jump the 5km race. Or be creative, and make it into a routine!
If you think you’ve got what it takes to get around a track of at least 5km and raise $500, the DVCS Australian Running Festival team is for you. Register via our website.