The Woden Valley Community Council (WVCC) is calling for Expressions of Interest (EOI) from artists for the design and production of a mural on a prominent wall on Melrose Drive in Woden.
The site is located on the corner of Corinna Street and Melrose Drive, Woden. The surface is painted brick. The size of the space is approximately 180m2.
A fee of up to $5,000 (including GST) will be paid to the artist for this project. The ACT Government will provide the spray paints to the selected artist and coat the mural afterwards with an anti-graffiti coating.
The panel will shortlist 3 artists, with the final design chosen by the community. The building owners will be consulted on the winning design. The two artists who are not successful will be paid $500 towards costs incurred.
The role of the artist is to design and install a public artwork in line with the specifications in this brief and subsequent Artists Agreement. The artist is expected to work in collaboration with the stakeholders during design, development and installation. The artist may submit a design as part of a team.
Materials will need to be suitable for the public art project; being durable, suitable for the climate, low maintenance and vandal resistant; and with consideration for safety. The artwork will be coated with an anti-graffiti coating once completed. The ACT Government will support the Woden Valley Community Council by providing spray paint materials and coordinating the Temporary Traffic Management plan for the closure of the footpath while painting takes place.
To submit your interest please email the following:
- Your name, email address and phone number;
- Up to 10 images of recent works (photographs of sketch books, street art, paintings or other mediums to show your style of art); and
- A sketch of your design idea for this project.
The mural design should encompass the following elements:
- The spirit of Woden welcoming all to the town centre;
- Reference the current diverse residents and their background;
- The extensive past and more recent history and activities in the area;
- Celebrate distinctive features and reference other significant landmarks, memorials, artworks and the environment of the surrounding area;
- Display advanced technical skill;
- Be full of colour and be a point of interest; and
- Deter tagging and therefore cover the whole wall.
If selected, the artist will have to provide the following documents:
- Artists Agreement to sign;
- Risk assessment for the creation of the mural; and
- Copy of artists Public Liability Insurance.
All EOI applicants will be assessed by a panel which will consist of stakeholders from the community.
- 9 May – Release of EOI
- 26 May – EOI closes
- 27 May – Panel meet to review EOIs and shortlist to three designs
- 27 May – The three designs are refined by artists
- 2 June – The three designs are released for public vote
- 11 June – Voting closes at midnight
- 12 June – The preferred design is announced
- 12 June – Painting starts with mural expected to be completed by 30 June
Any queries, or to arrange a discussion with stakeholders to discuss designs, should be directed to:
- Fiona Carrick (Woden Valley Community Council) on 0420 533 809; or
- Lauren Bradley (Woden Community Services) on 0476 805 279.
To express your interest in this project please email your submission addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight 26 May 2017.