Jingle bells, batman smells….

longshanks 9 November 2010 74

My 7 year old came home from school the other day and shared this little ditty with us (it’s used to determine who is ‘it’ in a game of tips etc, like eeny meeny miny mo):

Michey Mouse had a house underneath the movies, when the movie started, Mickey Mouse farted, what colour was his gas? (Someone then says a colour, and you spell out the colour.)

Anyway, this sent me back to a rhyme we used to sing way back when I was a kid:

Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin flew away. Wonder Woman lost her bosoms flying TAA.

I’m wondering how localised these little songs are – do they belong to individual schools, or do they spread across cities? Does anyone else have kids using the Mickey Mouse one? And does anyone else remember singing about Wonder Woman somehow misplacing her breasts on a Trans Australian Airlines flight?

Not very deep and meaningful questions, I know, but thought I’d put them out there anyways.

74 Responses to Jingle bells, batman smells….
1 2 3 4 Next »
Amanda Hugankis 1:39 pm 09 Nov 10

Jesus chris

Superstar

Tearing round the corner on a Yamaha

Saw a cop

Had to stop

Hit him on the head with a lollypop

We three kings of orient are

One in a taxi

One in a car

One on a scooter

Beeping his hooter

And definitely the Wonder Woman bosoms, flying TAA (Curtin Primary - mid to late 70s) & with a big HEY at the end.

I still can't help but hear this in my head whenever I hear jingle bells. Always have this little video in my head of her boobs flying out the window and past the tail of the plane.

Woody Mann-Caruso 1:30 pm 09 Nov 10

Wonder Woman lost her bosoms flying TAA - central NSW, early 1980s. Also around the same time:

Jesus Christ, Superstar

Riding along on his Yamaha

Did a skid, killed a kid

Banged (or burned) his balls on the petrol lid

How d'ya feel

When you're driving the bus

And you bang your nuts

On the steering wheel

(I feel like a Tooheys...)

These were the good old days when we had good old words like 'root', 'moot' and 'franger', The Goodies were on before Doctor Who, and Rolf Harris could sing songs about enslaved Aborigines and nobody raised an eyebrow.

Me no fry 1:28 pm 09 Nov 10

[quote comment="292338"]Midwest NSW was:

"Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin flew away. The Batmobile lost its wheel, the joker got away, HEY!" (Repeat ad nauseum.)[/quote]

Ditto, Newcastle, primary school, early 1970's. God, we were witty...

gospeedygo 1:04 pm 09 Nov 10

[quote comment="292343"]It's weird this post has started this week, I was have a conversation with someone on the weekend about hand ball rules on the hand ball courts were so localised and how completely nonsensical it all seems now but it was gospel when you were a kid.[/quote]

Ah yes, it was pretty interesting how rules could differ completely across several courts in the one school from my experience. Me and my friends had the best rules however. Actually fair too. Good times.

busgirl 1:00 pm 09 Nov 10

oh and...'it's a long way to the shops if you want a sausage roll'...

busgirl 12:58 pm 09 Nov 10

[quote comment="292347"][quote comment="292330"]Jesus Christ Superstar, riding over hills on a Yamaha...[/quote]

"Did a skid, hit a kid, and burned his b@!!$ on the petrol lid!!!"

Oh wow, it's all coming back to me now...

Eeeny meeny miny mo, catch a tiger by his toe, if he squeals let him go, eeny meeny miny mo. Boy scout you're out. Not because you're dirty, not because you're clean, just because you kissed the girls behind a magazine![/quote]

Back when I was young we sang 'catch a nigger by the toe'...stuffed if I even knew what that was. As far as I knew is could have been a 'nicker'. Additionally, back then the lollies were called 'fags' not 'fads' and we were allowed to make reference to a golliwog. Ah the innocent days...oh and another song was 'baked beans good for the heart, baked beans make you fart, the more you eat the better you feel, baked beans for every meal' hehehe

clp 12:46 pm 09 Nov 10

I remember the wonder woman as well as Father Christmas lost his whiskers flying TAA (South Australia means its not Santa Claus which wouldn't work)

John Moulis 12:46 pm 09 Nov 10

The one we used to sing as school was:

"Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin flew away. Mr Freeze burnt his knees while smoking Craven A."

Pommy bastard 12:45 pm 09 Nov 10

We had the batman one in the UK, so hardly a local thing

mr_spoon 12:42 pm 09 Nov 10

I can only remember two versions of this one -

We three kings of orient are

Selling ladies' underwear

They're fantastic -

No elastic!

Only ten cents a pair.

And

We three kings of orient are

Smoking on a rubber cigar

It was loaded

It exploded!

Now we are only two.

enrique 12:25 pm 09 Nov 10

"Did a skid, hit a kid, and burned his b@!!$ on the petrol lid!!!"

Oh wow, it's all coming back to me now...

BlackIce 12:10 pm 09 Nov 10

We also had the "bosoms" variant at my school in Sydney (late 70's to mid 80's)

Lazy I 12:08 pm 09 Nov 10

Our school had a hand ball rules named after all kinds of strange things.

I remember seeing a program on the ABC where they interviewed a woman that kept a catalog of schoolyard games / rhymes for historical preservation. I unfortunately can't remember the name of the program, but I remember her explaining some of the different variants that cropped up from different areas/schools, may be worth chasing up.

As for Wonder Woman.. if my school taught me anything, it was that she lost her bosoms flying to L.A. (wonder if that was a result of Chinese whispers.. or adapted because TAA no longer existed)

Keijidosha 12:05 pm 09 Nov 10

Midwest NSW was:

Tooks 12:04 pm 09 Nov 10

We had this one, word for word (circa grade 2).

capn_pugwash 11:59 am 09 Nov 10

we sang the bosoms version in sydney

Erg0 11:55 am 09 Nov 10

We had the "bosoms" variant at my school in Perth in the mid to late 80s. My fiance went to primary school in Townsville and knew a slightly different version, similar to p1's variation but with the last line changed to "the Joker got away".

Holden Caulfield 11:47 am 09 Nov 10

All I know is Ballarat must have a lot of copy cats.

Oh, I don't remember the words exactly but Wonder Woman and TAA does rings a bell for me too. Not quite as good as Jesus Christ Superstar, riding over hills on a Yamaha...

p1 11:41 am 09 Nov 10

[quote comment="292322"]We always sung it as "Wonder Woman lost her bra..."[/quote]

Same here. TAA changed to Australian Airlines in 1986, but I still sing it that way.

"Jingle Bells, Batman smells, Robin flew away. The Batmobile, lost a wheel, and landed in Bombay..." was also a common variant.

I found that these things seemed to go in waves, changing slightly even from one grade to anther within the same school (I had older and younger siblings to compare with).

Never did hear of Wonder Woman loosing here bosoms though...

Jungle Jim 11:35 am 09 Nov 10

We always sung it as "Wonder Woman lost her bra..."

1 2 3 4 Next »

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.