Community

Experts in Wills, Trusts
& Estate Planning

Library users, borrow more books, keep ’em longer

By johnboy 3 August 2009 26

Chief Minister Stanhope has announced that the library service is going to let you have more stuff and for longer.

“Library users are now able to borrow an unlimited number of books, CDs and DVDs for up four weeks and renew items – not requested by another user – up to three times,” Mr Stanhope said. “Previously 30 items could be borrowed for three weeks and renewed only once.

“The new rules aim to encourage library users to borrow more items more often.”

Mr Stanhope said restrictions would apply to items in high demand.

“Popular items will be restricted to a two week load period to ensure everyone has an opportunity to borrow these titles.”

Apparently the DVD of “Wall E” and Christos Tsiolkas book, “The Slap”, are popular items at the moment.

Does anyone really need to borrow 30 books at a time? Really? Bearing in mind that serious research does not get done in the ACT’s public libraries.

What’s Your opinion?

26 Responses to
Library users, borrow more books, keep ’em longer
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
smilesr 1:11 pm 04 Aug 09

Ok Peewee, I’ll hit Woden instead!

At #16: I was no. 380 or so in the list for borrowing Tim Winton’s “Breath” just recently. I can’t remember how many months it took but not as many as you would have thought. I think people just gave up and ended up buying it instead.

Peewee Slasher 12:53 pm 04 Aug 09

smilesr #13. Hope you’re not planning to go to Tuggers library this afternoon.

They’re currently loading all their books into my fleet of semi-trailers.

Observing 12:50 pm 04 Aug 09

Most books are requested by a number of people, so in effect, the borrowing time has not been increased but decreased to 2 weeks. What is strange is they now treat DVDs the same as books – it takes 2 weeks to watch a 90 minute DVD which was determined to be the same amount of time needed to read a 800 page book, which is the length of some of the books I read.

For me, reading 800 pages in 2 weeks while working late hours is not going to happen. I used to use the library but the new rules mean I have to say goodbye to reading literature.

In a twist of Stanhope’s words – “The new rules have encouraged me to borrow no items more often”

SheepGroper 12:44 pm 04 Aug 09

Yes, the changes came in on the 1st July, a summary of changes was posted by the self checkouts at my local library.

I think if an item has 3 or more reserve requests it becomes a high demand item.

The hold period for a title has reduced from 10 days to 7.

And sure it’s not likely someone would take out 30 titles in one trip, but now the library has gone back to unlimited loans its easy to go way over 30 in total when you need to borrow a lot of titles one one subject when you need to reasearch something.

dtc 9:16 am 04 Aug 09

What’s amusing is that the libraries have had this policy since, I think, 1 July. Obviously someone in Stanhope’s office just noticed and thought it would be a good press release, since I guess even 1 month old news is still publicity.

I’m pretty sure that if a book has been reserved it goes on the ‘2 week borrowing’ list. So the waiting lists should decrease greatly, nothing like being number 54 on the waiting list like I was for one book and having to wait 3+ weeks per borrower.

Postalgeek 9:15 am 04 Aug 09

To those with such a voracious reading appetite that 30 books every three weeks isn’t enough, may your corpulent brains find peace with these changes.

Joshua said :

Addison said :

oh no, you’ll have to wait a little longer for something you want that’s free.

cry me a river.

Do you even understand the concept of taxation? You must often wonder what life would be like if you’d had enough oxygen at birth.

breathe in, breathe out…

smilesr 8:31 am 04 Aug 09

Gungahlin Al and etc: children (even babies really – mine was around 1 year old) can get their own card, and what’s more… they don’t get fines.

But extending the time to 4 weeks is excellent. Not sure about unlimited borrowed items??! Does that mean someone can officially borrow the whole library?

Gungahlin Al 5:08 am 04 Aug 09

That should be “JB said…”

Gungahlin Al 5:07 am 04 Aug 09

Snarky said :

Does anyone really need to borrow 30 books at a time? Really?

Clearly you don’t have children.

Joshua 3:39 am 04 Aug 09

Addison said :

oh no, you’ll have to wait a little longer for something you want that’s free.

cry me a river.

caf 10:03 pm 03 Aug 09

I have it on good authority that all the serious research into the Reptoid threat is done at Dickson library.

Thumper 9:53 pm 03 Aug 09

Pity that you’ll need a car and a car park to transport your 30 books back home.

Snarky 8:47 pm 03 Aug 09

Fiona, the ebooks are great 🙂 Found a way to get the mobipocket versions to my mobile (nokia 6110)and have been happily pulling ’em down to read anywhere. A few minutes waiting here, a few minutes waiting there adds up to easy reading. No late fines – the books just fail to open after 3 weeks. Delete the old files, download new ones. Great stuff!

Fiona 7:49 pm 03 Aug 09

“cry me a river.”

haven’t heard that line in a little while. thank you 🙂

Been awhile since I went to library. Not sure where my card is, or what the opening hours actually are.

They have a head of ebooks for download on the website though! 🙂 no waiting! (except at the end of the month when my download speed becomes woeful)

Addison 7:19 pm 03 Aug 09

The Brad said :

Waiting on Reserved books will now increase by 25%.
An already painful wait on books just became more painful, depending on how they interpret high demand items.

oh no, you’ll have to wait a little longer for something you want that’s free.

cry me a river.

Wraith 7:03 pm 03 Aug 09

Just because Jon keeps getting late fines………….

Snarky 6:52 pm 03 Aug 09

Does anyone really need to borrow 30 books at a time? Really?

(w days holidays down the coast) x (y people who give you their reading requirements) x (z weeks of library closed and therefore unable to borrow new books) = “30 books? Yep, we’ll just squeeze it” It doesn’t happen every week, but it does happen

Sez who? Granted, it wasn’t PhD research, but stuff on plumbing, building and paving added up pretty quick for me. Don’t be so presumptuous.

jessieduck 6:15 pm 03 Aug 09

I’m excited about it- Thank you Library

The Brad 5:52 pm 03 Aug 09

Waiting on Reserved books will now increase by 25%.