If you’ve been missing motorsport action and you’re looking for something a little more exciting than e-scooter burnouts, two events at the Canberra and Moruya speedways in January should give you something to get revved up about.
The National Capital Motorsport Club will hold its much-anticipated first meeting of the year this Saturday (16 January) after last year’s bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic all but decimated its 2020 program.
Only one meeting at the Fairbairn track was held in December, but vice-president of the National Capital Motorsports Club Murray Johnson said this meeting is shaping as one of the club’s most important as it looks to meet noise restriction levels set by the ACT Environment Protection Authority.
“This meeting is so important for us as a club after COVID and the bushfires last year, and we’ve also been doing all we can to meet the noise restrictions being imposed,” he said.
Although border restrictions have eased in the past week, it’s too late for organisers to run the ACT titles for speedway sedans and production sedans, but they will host a revised program featuring juniors, sedans, wingless sprints and midgets.
Tickets will only be available online and Mr Johnson said motorsport fans wanting to attend should check the ACT Speedway Facebook page for further information.
Gates open at 4:00 pm and racing begins at 6:00 pm. Full canteen facilities are available and there will be a capacity of 700 people due to current restrictions.
On the South Coast at Moruya, secretary of the Moruya Speedway Kay Nash said they are very excited to have a full program of racing on 30 January.
“We haven’t been able to hold an event since March last year,” Ms Nash told Region Media. “Even then, we were only able to get through the first round after it rained heavily and we couldn’t continue.
“It’s awesome to have racing on again as the drivers put a lot of effort and money into their cars.”
A strong field of local drivers will take part, including Moruya club president Kiel Rosevear, Johnny Rolfe, plus juniors Matt Lucas-Wilton, Mitch Edwards and Jarrod Delatorre. Seasoned racer John Meyer will also return after a break from the sport.
Drivers from parts of Sydney not designated as a COVID-19 hotspot have also registered, along with others from Cooma, Canberra and Portland in Victoria.
Ms Nash said it will be fantastic to see the crowds come and support motor racing.
“We’ve had a lot of enquiries from Canberra, and it will be great to see our friends in the ACT come down for some racing and as spectators,” she said.
Spectators will also get to see the popular demolition derby event, along with street stock cars, production sedans, limited sedans, junior sedans and vintage sprint cars.
Ms Nash also said the Moruya Speedway is looking to secure approvals for a burnout track, as well as rejuvenating its bike and motocross track to allow further events for spectators and racers.
Gates open at 1:00 pm on 30 January. Racings commences at 5:00 pm. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for pensioners and children aged between 13 and 17. Children under 12 are admitted free.
Further details of the 30 January event are on the Moruya Speedway Facebook page.