Police have opened up new lines of enquiry in their investigation into the disappearance of 17-year-old Canberran Megan Mulquiney 34 years ago after receiving an “outstanding response” to their call for fresh information from the public.
On Saturday, July 28, exactly 34 years since Megan’s disappearance, ACT Policing homicide detectives gathered at Woden Plaza between 11 am and 2 pm to seek answers about what happened.
The location was the same one from which Megan disappeared on July 28, 1984, after finishing her shift at Big W. Megan had been due to catch a bus home but she never arrived and was never seen again.
Last Thursday (July 26), police announced a breakthrough in the long-running missing person’s case following the death of their prime suspect – convicted sex offender Paul Vincent Phillips – who they now believe was not acting alone.
They called for anyone with fresh information to come forward, imploring anyone who knew what had happened to Megan or the circumstances of her disappearance to get in touch.
Police have since said that the response from the public has been “excellent” and they are thankful to the people who have had “the courage to come forward.”
“A number of people have come forward with fresh information,” said Senior Constable Patrick O’Brien.
He said that members of the community have taken up the opportunity to speak to the investigators involved and this has provided new lines of enquiry.
“Every little piece of information helps, and we call on anyone else with information to speak with police,” said Detective Senior Constable Emma Beere.
Detective Senior Constable Beere last week told the media that the 2009 inquest into Megan’s disappearance had determined it “extremely likely” that she met with foul play.
“The place, manner and cause of Megan’s death remains unknown,” Detective Senior Constable Beere said last week.
“The investigation into Megan’s disappearance did not die with Paul Vincent Phillips and we will continue in our search for answers.”
Detective Senior Constable Beere and Senior Constable O’Brien can be contacted via the dedicated mobile number 0457 844 917 if anyone has further information about Megan’s disappearance.
Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers ACT website.