The police media unit have been a bit slow of late but they’ve now made their August debut.
1. Last Friday morning saw a spate of burglaries in Garema Place as if the poor buggers there haven’t got enough troubles.
- ACT Policing is seeking witnesses to any suspicious behaviour in Civic early this morning after burglaries to business premises in Garema Place.
Around 4.50am today (Friday, August 1), police responded to reports of alarm activations at two business premises – a record shop and a takeaway shop – in Garema Place.
Attending police also noted that several other business premises located in Garema Place, near where it joins Bunda Street, may also have been the targets of burglaries or attempted burglaries and this matter will be further investigated.
Sums of cash have been stolen from both burgled premises
Witnesses asked to contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.
2. And here’s the police take on last night’s tragedy in Isabella Plains:
- A man has been transported to Canberra Hospital by ACT Ambulance Service following an incident at Isabella Plains this afternoon.
About 4.15pm police conducted a vehicle stop on Isabella Drive between Clive Steel Avenue and Drakeford Drive. The male passenger of the vehicle allegedly refused to exit and armed himself with a firearm while the driver exited the vehicle without incident.
As a result of the situation, a cordon was established and police negotiators and members of SRS attended the scene.
About 5pm a gun shot was heard in the vicinity of the vehicle and police found the male passenger suffering a gun shot wound, believe to be self inflicted. He was transported by ACT Ambulance to Canberra Hospital where he is in a serious condition.
Police wish to advise that Isabella Drive between Drakeford Drive and Clive Steel Avenue is closed in both directions while investigations into the circumstances surrounding the incident continue. Police are asking members of the public to avoid the area.
3. Just hearing on the radio that the shooter has died in the hospital. And the police media release is now online:
- The man, from Calwell, died at 10.25am today in The Canberra Hospital (5 August 2008). A post mortem will be conducted on Thursday (7 August 2008)