Our children mean everything to us. Their happiness, health and wellbeing are our top priorities, which is why finding a welcoming, safe and reputable preschool is so important.
While starting preschool can be a big transition for children and parents, the right preschool can make the experience a positive one.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a quality preschool and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great preschool?
A great preschool takes the stress out of what can be an emotionally draining experience. After all, you want your little one to get the best start on their education. You want them to feel safe and you want to feel calm and confident.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a preschool.
- Dedicated, quality staff. Preschool staff can make or break your child’s experience at preschool. The very best staff are dedicated to their work and they go above and beyond to support your child as they grow and learn. They’re patient, engaging and energetic.
- Excellent facilities. Some of the most highly rated preschools have great kid-friendly facilities and features. This could include vegetable gardens, quality playgrounds and intriguing cubby houses.
- Convenient location. You don’t want to live or work too far away from where your child attends preschool. Look for a preschool that’s close to your home or workplace.
- Stellar reputation. One way to judge a preschool is to ask for feedback from others who have direct experience. This could include other parents, friends, family members, and even those you work with. You can also review the preschool’s website.
- Innovative environment. The best preschools provide environments in which children can explore, build their confidence, gain a stronger sense of self and are eager to play, play and then play some more.
The best preschools in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Tucked away on a quiet leafy street just a stone’s throw from Canberra’s city centre is the Goodstart Early Learning Centre Turner. This fully licensed preschool is home to quality educators. It can welcome 65 children. The passionate team provides all meals and a nappy service for nursery and toddler children.
Goodstart Early Learning Child Care Centre is in Kingston, within the Parliamentary Triangle and a five-minute drive from the CBD. Professional, friendly staff make preschool fun and welcoming. The centre uses the Early Years Learning Framework which fosters learning through play. Parents are invited to participate. Outside, the centre has age-appropriate play spaces and equipment, all geared to enhance childrens’ awareness of their surrounds and the greater environment.
Inner North Playschool is for 3 and 4-year-olds. It began life as the Reid Playschool in 2000. It provides more for children than a playgroup. Parents and carers can leave their children knowing they’re in the care of trained and experienced staff who will keep them engaged through a mix of free and directed activities. The playschool is operated by the Inner North Playschool Inc. Committee, made up of parents and carers.
The University Preschool and Child Care Centre – also known as the Uni Preschool – is a community-minded, not-for-profit childcare centre situated on-campus at The Australian National University. Since 1969, this highly regarded preschool has delivered an industry-leading level of care and education to children of those attending the university and of the general public.
Connected to Majura Primary School, Watson Preschool is known for its close-knit community, passion for education, and commitment to quality care. The school believes in fostering respect and responsibility in kids of all ages. Staff continually strive for excellence by challenging and engaging little ones through play-based experiences.
If you’re looking for more information on services in Canberra for young ones in your family, you might like our articles on the best childcare centres in Canberra and the best family day care providers Canberra has to offer.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the preschools listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.